What's new

HPS or MH for flowering?

Sleepy

Veteran
ok, no arguing OG style.....

i have a switchable 400W ballast. have been running 400W MH lamp thru veg...

flipped to 12/12 12 days ago....

should i change the bulb to HPS?

i like the MH, but have read the blue spectrum from MH is better for veg, and the red/orange spectrum of HPS is better for flower...

anyone have any feedback??

thanks in advance!

Ice Cold

This is one topic you see very little dissagreement about so I am not sure where that statement is coming from....

use the MH bulb until buds start to form then use HPS for the rest of flowering.

G

With MH you can significantly reduce the flowering stretch on the plants, use it for first 3 weeks of flowering..

(and as it reduces the stretch, you can veg longer ;)

Hey Sleepy,
while MH will give you less stretch in the begining of flowering , for the same amount of electricity HPS lamps put out higher PAR & Lumen ratings , so while they are good to use in the begining of 12/12 {MH}, you'll get better results going with the HPS as brighter is better, besides you can get a hortilux converson lamp with added blue and it will still be brighter than a run of the mill MH bulb.

OH yeah , i see i'm being credited in your sig now ...LMAO :biglaugh:

have fun & stay safe

O H

Sleepy

Veteran
...Thanks for the replies...

i will switch the bulb soon!! (flowering 12 days now)

Organic Hyrdo, there was no direspect intended! i hope none taken... :friends: :biglaugh:

badmf

Some strecthing isn't due to the spectrum but the temps/humidity ratios from day to nite!! The spectrum of HPS is best but I would have a nite a week of MH since its so easy to switch!

G

Lighting History
Chapter 01 : Intro
Chapter 02 : Photosynthesis And The Spectrum
Chapter 03 : Wave Theory Versus Corpuscular Theory
Chapter 04 : The Quantum Theory
Chapter 05 : A Brief Word About Electricity
Chapter 06 : Electric Light Is Invented
Chapter 07 : Other Light Inventions
Chapter 08 : Incandescent Versus Arc Lighting
Chapter 09 : The Ascent Of The Arc Lamp
Chapter 10 : Magnetic Versus Electronic Ballasts
Chapter 11 : Color Temperature In Degrees Kelvin
Chapter 12 : Electronic Ballasts For HID Lighting

Lighting Tips
Chapter 13 : Lighting For Plant Growth
Chapter 14 : Wall Reflection Materials
Chapter 15 : UV-B Radiation & THC levels
Chapter 16 : Plant Lighting & Density
Chapter 17 : Side Lighting
Chapter 18 : Light Reflectors
Chapter 19 : Light Duration
Chapter 20 : Using A Green Bulb

Lighting Recommendations
Chapter 21 : HID Lights Are Recommended
Chapter 22 : High Pressure Sodium (HPS) Lamps
Chapter 23 : Choosing The Correct Ballast
Chapter 24 : Metal Halide Lamps
Chapter 25 : Water Cooled Lights

Bulb Recommendations
Chapter 26 : Son Agro HPS Lamp
Chapter 27 : Conversion Bulbs
Chapter 28 : Hortilux HPS & MH Bulbs
Chapter 29 : EYE Hortilux Conversion Bulbs
Chapter 30 : Envirolight
Chapter 31 : Gavita 600 Watt HPS Bulb
Chapter 32 : Complete Dual Systems
Chapter 33 : 1000W Large Horizontal Switchable System
Chapter 34 : Philips - A Global Leader In Lighting Technology
Chapter 35 : Osram Sylvania

http://www.advancednutrients.com/new2/homeframe.html

Grow Info - there are aslo some good videos on lighting in the "Traing video" section

Dr. D

Veteran
I use HPS for flowering, i wudnt use MH for flower and i use envirolites for veg....peace :canabis:

Sleepy said:
...Thanks for the replies...

i will switch the bulb soon!! (flowering 12 days now)

Organic Hyrdo, there was no direspect intended! i hope none taken... :friends: :biglaugh:

Hey Sleepy ,
no disrespect taken , i think it's kinda cool to be quoted :biglaugh: is all.
and it's true , if you could smell & see {you'll see later if you check my CB thread} what's been going on this last week i think you would be amazed :wink:
please feel free to use any off the wall things i say in your sig buddy :friends: it puts a smile on my face i can assure you :biglaugh:

oh yeah , i re-read your original question and relized i thought you meant a"conversion" bulb , was what you "were" looking for , now i see that you have a"switchable" ballest , just go with a 400 watt hortilux or plantstar bulb either one is a great choice and has enhanced blue spectrum's so you can use it all the time and not need to switch to the MH bulb anymore.

all the best

O H

m.steelers

Enlightened
Veteran
When I had my 1000W setup I used the hortilux bulb with great results. Since I am downsized in a mini box now I only use a 150 watt HPS. I think there is a mixed spectrum bulb for this size too, but I havent got around to searching for it yet.

my 2 cents is the mixed spectrum bulbs are the nicest.
MS

O

OHenry

Gavita 400hps

Gavita 400hps

I use a Gavita 400hps during the flowering cycle. If you haven't seen this buld yet you have to check it out. Puts out some excellemt lumens. :smile:

G

the lamps i use are sylvania grolux ,they have just a nice hint of blue ,i use metal halides for veg

*waves HIGH!* use the "eye" bulbs myself... change em out every 8 months of use with zero regrets. What I have observed though... not to defy the "science" of it all, but with some strains have seen fantastic results by using MH during week 5 of 9/10 week strains. *shrugs* Using clones, side by side... find that with some stuff (namely JH) that they end up with much better color, flavor and weight in the end. (they do seem to take a bit longer to finish than their sisters grown all HPS in 12/12). In addition, had too many Sage clones recently... so ran some under a 400 MH... they did about as well as they others under the 600 hps. Go figure.?.

These are just some observations... not a qualified study. Perhaps just "food for thought..." *waves bye* Akiko

Sleepy

Veteran
A belated thank you/sorry is in order...

A belated thank you/sorry is in order...

hey folks,

i spaced out & stopped looking at this thread.

sorry about that! :rolleyes: -stoner!!

OH- i'll be checking prices on those bulbs and will pick one up!-thanks..

Again, sorry to abandon this one, i do appreciate the info.

Latest posts

Latest posts