What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How You Can Develop Cannabis To Do What You Want

CharlesU Farley

Judging by this little NL I just aquired, you have showcased quite the effort. There’s no way I could ever manage a thing like this indoors.

View attachment 18989816

Reading your posts makes me feel really bad about taking the easy way out and running 24h lighting.
I've been digging through the Mr Nice Forum because Neville and NL Seattle Greg both were active participants there, though not at the same time. I absolutely hate I was on a self-imposed cannabis forum internet absence because of the Patriot Act.

Nevil was a firm believer in 24/0 lighting and I would have loved to have debated with him over his reasoning.

As part of my ongoing desire to treat the cannabis plant as a living thing and not an object, my lighting schedule is 16 x 8 because I believe all living cells, not just human, have to have some "down time" to regenerate and recoup, to the face the next day.

It's a biological process and I don't know of any place on earth that has 24 hours of light, all the time.

My ultimate goal (unlike Neville and other Netherlands breeders) is not to push a cannabis plant to produce the _maximum_ amount of flowers in the _minimal_ amount of time.

It's to produce the highest quality flowers, that will give me the high that I need to treat PTSD, and I don't care how long it takes to develop those flowers. I was in a discussion on another thread discussing landraces, and made the same point in that thread I'm going to make here.

One of the main reasons I think I was so impressed with Northern Lights the first time I tried it (and at that time I had no earthly idea who really developed it, Vietnam vet) was that it helped me deal with PTSD more effectively than any other cannabis product I'd ever tried.

And I tried a whole _bunch_ of cannabis to deal with PTSD.

It was developed by a group of Vietnam vets, who were having great difficulty sleeping, who had to grow indoors, with a very low smell factor, so as not to attract the law/attention.

I was never in Vietnam, but other than that, it was my exact profile of what I wanted to do.

Getting back to your comment, maybe consider giving your plants a little break from the action. Even if you end up with a little bit less flower, it'll be higher quality... knowing the plant wasn't stressed out to the max just to produce the largest amount of THC / CBD the shortest possible time.

Give it a try, it might just help you to get cannabis to do what you want us to do. ;)

Last edited:

I Care

That’s a genuine answer. I appreciate that you reminded me about what the NL is all about. That’s what really sticks out to me. You’re talking about a name that I wish I had some time to work with, and I’m honestly not necessarily sure if I ever came across it aside from that NL99 my buddy grew after the BKDC being beyond funky I don’t recall anybody ever claiming NL the all of the years of herbal gift exchange.

Maybe by the time the one I showed you starts to darken up I’ll be able to see if I am able to recognize anything there.

CharlesU Farley

This next post will be a previous post here on ICM about lighting. Lighting is one of the two foundations that you will use to get cannabis to do what _you_ want it to. You are going to use it to "steer" the tops of the growing shoots to direct them towards the light. Can't get into basic botany now but investigate the word auxins. They are hormones that cause the elongation of cells and we use this growth to "show" the plant where we want it to go. This is the major reason I believe that decapitating's the top of the _main_ stem of growth, just to redistubute the auxins to the remaining shoots is most assuredly injurious to the overall health of the plant.

Have you ever actually _observed_ how a plant reacts after you cut it's "head" off?

I'll give you a hint... it _doesn't_ like it and it brings almost all natural growth to a virtual standstill. What if we could accomplish the same purpose without cutting it's fucking "head" off? Or mashing the shit out of the mainstem just enough to fuck it up but not kill it? Or pinch off _most_ of the growing shoots on a plant in a pathetic attempt to "direct more energy" to the top bud?

To me, that makes as much sense as hacking off fan leaves, and in some cases _most_ of the leaves (defoliate), so the buds will "get more light and get bigger". Here comes Chris Farley's voice again, "For the love of God and all that's holy, why??????".

What works for me instead of breaking out a shiv and slicing the shit out of living plant is to use light and spacing of the plants when they're in their vegetative stage to get them to do what I want them to do. To do that, you have to understand light. While I'd love to get into all the intricacies of the physics of light, this ain't the time. I'm an exceedingly practical man and I know experience compliments knowledge, so the rest of this post is my history of using lighting to develop cannabis.

Damn, since I quit wasting my time in the Old Farts thread, I've got more time to get back to why I came here to ICM in the first place. That's to learn about and teach skills and techniques to develop better cannabis, not have to talk U.S. _politics_ or have in rammed down my throat on a _cannabis_ forum. (y)

On the subject of old farts, I'm gonna link to an exchange I had with Old Uncle Ben in another thread. It would take much too long to explain, but we have utilized many of the same Internet resources to further our knowledge of developing cannabis, for a _very_ long time.

In the universe of Internet communication and learning about new cannabis development techniques, Uncle Ben and I are fucking Yoda and Obi Wan Kenobi. In the 90's, we both got seeds from the Netherlands from a nym who went by Jock. UB has pics he's posted about the "stealth" delivery method Jock used. Let's just say it was a little bit different _way_ back in the day, than it is now. o_O I'm convinced this guy got more early cannabis genetics into the US than any other source until OG went live.

See this thread to observe how two old "war horses" show respect to each other, even though they are doing things in a diametrically opposite way and are known for communicating best with a sledgehammer and a chainsaw. ;) We both know and have been around long enough to know there are many ways to develop a cannabis varietal and there is _never_ a right or wrong way to do something.

You just have to respect that some people think and do things differently than you do.

****************************************************************************************************************

I've been following the LED and Bud Quality thread for a while now and even an old geezer like me can't believe growers are still debating this topic. With various participants slamming their dicks/clits down, saying either LEDs suck or they're the best, I thought it might be a good idea to see just what various growers have used in the past, what you're using now, and what you think your next light will be.

My first grow light was a 4 ft Gro-Lux fluorescent tube fixture, bought in 1979. The seedlings are from the occasional seeds I would get from Jamaican sinse, smuggled into the U.S. for the Zion Coptic Church. Never got 'em to flower, not enough juice with with fluorescent and I was scoring great bags at cost, so the grow was based more on curiosity than need:

first_growroom (1).jpg

Photo developed in Miami at Fotomat, when the War on Drugs didn't include cannabis. o_O

Moved to the mountains, started gorilla growing outside, got divorced/vindictive wife, so had to move inside. Bought this light in 1987, for a 5 by 2 grow closet. A 1 KW MH from Midwest Supplies out of Ann Arbor, from a High Times ad. Big fucking mistake, read about Operation Green Merchant. One of the few companies that didn't rat out their customers. I could debate MH vs. HPS with anyone, for my situation. I tamed those Jamaican Type I/Type II hybrids with this monster:

kw_mh.jpg

Obviously, heat, humidity and airflow were a challenge in a 10 sq. ft closest but after a bunch of fuckups when I first began, I started hitting my groove. Power bills, specifically paying them, could be a problem so when LEDs first appeared, I was intrigued and investigated. Got this light, a G8LED (140 watts at the wall) for $320 USD in 2013 and utilized another closet to start seedlings for a proof of concept, to see if it would work in my situation. For seedlings and early vegging, it was great:

PXL_20240122_192307564.jpg

I never bought into the "replaces a 400w HPS" hype but the seedlings thrived, so I decided to go all in. Decided to use the G8LED for spouts and seedlings in a small closet and use two of these in the 2 x 5 closet:

PXL_20240122_192443103.jpg

So I replaced a 1 kW MH with 750 watts of _adjustable_ LEDs, in the same space, for $1.5k USD! Bought it direct, so don't know the exact date purchased but I remember the price, 'cause had to scrimp, sacrifice and save just to purchase them. Originally, thought I'd hit the plants with heavy blue during veg and heavy red during flowering. Too long a story for now but turned out plants did best when hit with full burple lighting _all_ the time, rather than reduced blue or red for specific growth phases. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

Due to the political situation here in the U.S., my wife and I's cannabis consumption dramatically increased, necessitating the need for a tent in the basement. Couldn't afford more LumiGrows but KingPlus blurples, with "new" improved 10w LED chips, were affordable. So got a pair of these, KingPlus "1800 watt" 340 actual watts lights, $239 USD in 2017:

PXL_20240122_192831268.jpg

They were decent lights but not terribly reliable. Learned to replace the PCBs myself... that they sent me a couple of times under warranty. :confused:

Was overall fairly happy but when one of 'em totally crapped out, decided to go back to a U.S. manufacturer and got this, the only "bloom booster" that actually works. o_O

PXL_20240122_192924224.jpg

Can't remember how much it was but it was expensive, compared to other, lesser quality lights made in China. That light is built like a fucking tank, leans heavy red and still works fine even now, many years later. I don't use it anymore because the electricity use bang per buck just isn't there.

Political situation got worse and needed a bigger tent, so got an 8 x 4 to go with the 4 x 4 in the basement. Went with 2 SF2000 SMB lights, $320 USD a piece in 2020, for the 4 x 4 and 2 SF4000 lights at $600 a piece for the 8 x 4.

8X4_fans.jpg

4 x 4 tent started deteriorating, so upgraded to a 5 x 5 tent and added a SF2000 Pro for $220 last year, definitely one I shouldn't have ordered because they no longer use Meanwell drivers.

out_of_the_closet.jpg

The closet lights had some years on them, so last year decided to upgrade with this for the original closet, a ViparSpectra XS4000, for $320:

DSCN0982.JPG

Would I make different choices now? Without a doubt. But right now all of the current lights are humming along, doing their thing, using just a bit more energy than the original 1 kW MH. :cool:

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

To those who are wondering if they can be patient enough to read through all of these walls of words, just to figure out how they can get cannabis to do what _they_ want, here's a little incentive to stick around, from my latest grow. If I can do this, so can you.

And of course this was done with no topping, fimming, supercropping, SOG, ScrOG, support nets, spankies, or dirty talk :ROFLMAO: :

I Care

“just a bit more energy than the original 1 kW MH.”

Now that is cool 😎

Really are you talking about the lights or the fans? 😎

I Care

Do you want me to explain to you how this started?

Actually it’s simple, I was abusing the thing cause it really didn’t seem to mind, I accidentally cracked the top off of it. 5 months later someone pretty much paid me to take good sun system 24” HPS light and powa off their hands. Only problem I really ever had was PM.

Attachments

• IMG_0892.jpeg
    IMG_0892.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

I Care

I’m trying to steer the bubba and diesel together right now. With two different halves of a muffin tin. Or I was. I may need to raise the diesel up again.

Good thread u got going here CF

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5

Kimes

waiting for continuity

added some flashy emojis to speed up the process..!

very promising thread, thnaks!

:groupwave:
:lurk::bump::smoky::smokeit::hotbounce:kewlpics::santa1:

Latest posts

Latest posts