What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to test quantum board?

Fortman420

I have x2 240w quantum boards w/301 chips ad meanwell ballast dimming knobs. 1 board is very bright and the other perhaps half as bright. I noticed that when I turn both lights upto maximum the weaker of the 2 lights I notice only starts to get brighter at the half way mark on the dimmer.

Would appreciate any help

Fortman420

I imagine it's a dimmer problem. If you can unplug one (of both) of the wires from the dimmer, that should put it on full brightness.
Just after I posted this I thought I should do this as well. I'll do it right away and post if that's it

Fortman420

At first 1 of the led boards on the weaker 240w was about half as bright and one of the lines of Red led chips were extinguished. I removed the dimmer and the bloody pannel blinded me and everything functioning as it should.

I connected the other dimmer and it functioned as it should and just as bright. Just to test the suspected bad dimmer I tested it on the other panel and everything worked properly. So I removed it and tried it on the 1st panel and it worked properly. Perhaps I had a bad connection with that dimmer but it's all working now :)

Attachments

• 20240114_192135.jpg
    20240114_192135.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 20240114_192214.jpg
    20240114_192214.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 30

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
I'm going to suggest you have a look at the connection to the boards where I have circled.

20240114_192135.jpg

Temporary LED failures where a bank of LEDs goes out and/or the entire board appears dim is normally an indication of a loose or burnt connection.

If the connector wire burns or shorts (due to being loose or scorched), then the system voltage drops and there is not enough voltage for the higher voltage LEDs or banks of LEDs in a parallel circuit to light up. That's what it looks like to me.

You may find that playing with the dimmer simply wiggled the connector wire that gave you a better connection and solved your problem.

It may still be the dimmer, but it doesn't take much to check the connections to ensure there is nothing wrong before you continue to trouble-shoot if problems persist.

These types of cheap Chinese "Quantum Boards" (they're not really, only HLG are true Quantum Boards) are notorious for not using voltage-matched bin LEDs that lead to current hogging of banks of LEDs and sometimes thermal runaway.

Fortman420

I'm going to suggest you have a look at the connection to the boards where I have circled.

View attachment 18946207
Temporary LED failures where a bank of LEDs goes out and/or the entire board appears dim is normally an indication of a loose or burnt connection.

If the connector wire burns or shorts (due to being loose or scorched), then the system voltage drops and there is not enough voltage for the higher voltage LEDs or banks of LEDs in a parallel circuit to light up. That's what it looks like to me.

You may find that playing with the dimmer simply wiggled the connector wire that gave you a better connection and solved your problem.

It may still be the dimmer, but it doesn't take much to check the connections to ensure there is nothing wrong before you continue to trouble-shoot if problems persist.

These types of cheap Chinese "Quantum Boards" (they're not really, only HLG are true Quantum Boards) are notorious for not using voltage-matched bin LEDs that lead to current hogging of banks of LEDs and sometimes thermal runaway.
I'll have a look and the connection. I have noticed that these wires on both boards are starting to get quite stiff and the wire casing is faded due to light intensity exposure so you may be right.

I am looking at different led lights as a replacement but that is something that isnt in the near future. HLG, Chilled, and Photontek is where I have my eyes looking right now but am open to suggestions for other equal companies

Latest posts

Latest posts