What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"How to Professionally Germinate Cannabis Seeds"

Dutchland

I've always had very good seed germination rates... but not Great. After wasting a half of valuable (irreplaceable) packs of Archive's Dosi #22 and Rainbow Belts 1.0 (Only half made it 😞 )
I came across an article by Ed Rosenthal and Purple Caper Seeds that helped me into the Greatness In-zone 🏈🤙
It is a 12 step method similar to tissue culture (sterile lab) procedures. As it maybe necessary to follow ALL the steps for 10+ year old viable seeds... following just a few crucial steps on newer/properly stored seeds helped me up my game. 🌱 🏆
For years I was just placing a damp paper towel it in a fresh sandwich bag (with seeds) and placing it on some warm "bottom heat" usually a cable box or under a laptop. And most seeds germinate fine, however if I didn't get 1" roots within 48-72 hours they would turn to mush.
-What I Do Now: 👨‍🌾
#1.
Take distilled watered and reduce it down to 6 pH and sterilize it by bringing it to a roaring boil (The natural pH 7ish is probably fine).
#2. Wear gloves that are sterilized with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and dip the seeds into 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for 15 seconds and then immediately rinse them off with a small amount of the sterile water (Discard the Peroxide+Water).
#3.Take a couple of paper towels from a new pack and wet them with the sterile water and ring it out until the are very damp but no longer dripping wet.
#4. Place seeds in paper towels towards the center and fold over covering the seeds and put them in a fresh/new zip lock sandwich bag.
#5. Keep the bag somewhere preferably dark and keep the temperature as close and consistent to 78 degrees Fahrenheit (25.55 Celsius) an IR digital thermometer is helpful here.
heat.jpg

#6. I try not to disturb them for 48 hrs and only then I check them with sterilized gloves. Within 24-96 hours, once the roots are 1" (2.5cm) place them in soil (or plug) with the tap-root facing down and bury it only leaving the seed shell barely exposed/visible on top and put them under light.
Fortunately I still a 1 Full pack of Dosi #22s (12 Reg) and Rainbow Belts 1.0 (6 Fems)
:muscle:

Keep Germinating Seeds...and Happy Hunting!!!
-Dutch

Last edited:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
So soaking overnight is bad??? I have always had worst luck with seeds, which is one reason I like clones.

Dutchland

Thank you, friend, for a good detailed look at germinating seeds. It can be heartbreaking losing seed to mistakes.
Certainly!! I cross posted at OG too and got trolled, apparently my 6 steps "were over kill" and they miraculously get perfect germ rate with sticking seeds in promix :rolleyes:

So soaking overnight is bad??? I have always had worst luck with seeds, which is one reason I like clones.
I don't think so... Lot of people do with great success. But I don't and never did, but one of the first steps in the Ed Rosenthal's method is he soaks his seeds in a nutrient solution for 48hrs, 🤨 perhaps that is necessary for 10yr old barely viable seeds (I'd say 24hr Max). But with my 4+ year old Blissful Wizard seeds i got 100% germination rate without soaking within 48hrs I had roots a couple inches long. Supposedly soaking can help to determine whether or not the seeds are even viable... as they should sink. Although my last 3 Dosi's 22 floated in the brief Peroxide and in the rinse, (And all 3 Germinated) but it probably takes a bit for seeds to sink (like I said I don't use that method, I only read about it years ago)

If you can master cloning you can certainly germinate seeds, IMO popping seeds is way easier and definitely MUCH quicker :clover:

Last edited:

Lugo

Veteran
Interesting. If thats overkill you should see what I do with older seeds 🤣 Ill post it up next round.

But regardless of there being set techniques i'm always looking for something new and recently tried germinating some seeds in living moss I collected from my roof. Although the seed was quite fresh I couldn't help but wonder if the living moss had to do with it, maybe a chemical signal or something. Im gonna try it with older seed and see what happens.

Attachments

• 20230528_165059.jpg
    20230528_165059.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230528_152222~2.jpg
    20230528_152222~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53

Dutchland

Interesting. If thats overkill you should see what I do with older seeds 🤣 Ill post it up next round.

But regardless of there being set techniques i'm always looking for something new and recently tried germinating some seeds in living moss I collected from my roof. Although the seed was quite fresh I couldn't help but wonder if the living moss had to do with it, maybe a chemical signal or something. Im gonna try it with older seed and see what happens.
Have you ever seen the Doc called "Hidden Life of Trees"? It is fascinating how there is entire ecosystem working together as a network not only above the ground but primary underground sharing resources:smoke out:
They discuss seedlings growing in moss in the first few mins (@ 6 mins)

Actually I believe I was thinking of this Vid only 15m long and pretty much sums it up :plant grow:

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Put the seeds in a Pint jar of water with a few drops of H2O2 and some aloe. Place in a dark warmish spot. Shake every now and then. You want them to drop to the bottom of the jar. They will have tails in 36 hours or so. Then on to Dixie cups with seed starter for the top layer.

Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Could be a good way to go. I never noticed a difference with using peroxide or gloves or any of that. I do wash the hell out of my hands before touching the seeds or sprouts but not seeing this as being needed. If the seeds are 10 years old how do they have viruses or bacteria alive on them?

I do keep everything being used new and clean and scrape the seams and ends of the seeds, mostly for the older seeds as the shell hardens. Clean single sided razor blade.

exoticrobotic

A few squirts of diluted 3% peroxide in water helps degrade the old seed coatings and seems to help germination.

But very old seeds can take a month or so to sprout so how to keep a medium moist, warm and well aerated for 30 days or so without introducing mold can be a problem.

i suppose agar in a test tube warmer would work.

Has anyone tried germinating in fine vermiculite? It maybe could prevent algae, mold, hard crusts and fruit flies.

Floraflex cubes
pH of +- 6 tapwater , i use citric acid
1 drop of aptus regulator
a few bumps of mycorhiza

Let the cubes absorb the water , give em a nice squeeze to get rid of the excess water.
Put them in a seedpoppingdome

EDIT : oh yeah and the tapwater ofcourse has to be 24hours old ;)

Last edited:

Dutchland

EDIT : oh yeah and the tapwater ofcourse has to be 24hours old ;)
Why do you let the tap water sit... or was that a joke?
I have well water and the pH is over 8 and smell like sulfur :mooning:
I also have a larged pond stocked with bass, and it's pH is 6.3 that I use for watering my plants... but whenever I think bacteria maybe an issue I've been using distilled water.
I am switching from Promix over to Coco (Bliss) coir and I may use my well water pH corrected to hydrate/soak the blocks in. Since some of it-I'll be using it for newly rooted clones-I'm afraid they may be susceptible to anything that may be in the pond other than micro-nutrients 🐟
Not sure if I should let my well water sit for a day? :clock watch: Seems to me I've heard that before.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I actually use the water straight from the tap as the chlorine can help some with contaminates that may be on the seeds.

For old seeds I have a process..

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Folks that have city water let it sit to evaporate the chlorine. That's some alkaline well water you have mine is close to neutral
I have been using tap water exclusively out of the hot tap. I fill up a carboy with hot water and let it sit with the cap off to outgas the chlorine as it cools, ready the next day..

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
This is just the water. My tap is around 6.8 pH, and neutral EC. The isea of using it from the hot tap is the water heater boils off the chlorine/chloromine. I add epsom salts, Ph down to 6.3ish, and cal-mag+ to the SWICK reservoir. Plus I run a bubbler in the water, which seems to increase the pH number, making me have to keep adding pH down.

Dutchland

This is just the water. My tap is around 6.8 pH, and neutral EC. The isea of using it from the hot tap is the water heater boils off the chlorine/chloromine. I add epsom salts, Ph down to 6.3ish, and cal-mag+ to the SWICK reservoir. Plus I run a bubbler in the water, which seems to increase the pH number, making me have to keep adding pH down.
I am curious if the water heater gets the water to a boiling temp?
I've heard to avoid hot water because since it runs through the W/H it is more likely to contain sediment/impurities... IDK maybe only an issue for older model water heaters :chin:

mexweed

Veteran
nice find for old seeds, he has a nice water hash guide too

what I'm interested in is how people get those crazy taproots like you see in some seed company pics like they are in a paper towel and they have longer tails than my seedlings are tall, it must be an incubator or some kind of artificial growth hormone

Dutchland

nice find for old seeds, he has a nice water hash guide too

what I'm interested in is how people get those crazy taproots like you see in some seed company pics like they are in a paper towel and they have longer tails than my seedlings are tall, it must be an incubator or some kind of artificial growth hormone
I just germinated 6 different strains and usually have small taproots within 48hrs, but all 4 Valley Girls from Archive had 4" in just under 48hrs.:plant grow:
The paper work that came with them stated they were harvested in November... so they were pretty fresh

Latest posts

Latest posts