What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to manage extra string/rope from hangers?

trouthugger

What knots or methods do you use to tie up excess slack from the hangers for lights and fan? Right now mine are just hanging down really long...

Ca++

Bunch and tie the bit that's never needed. Then as that bunch gets in the way, I tend to just sit on on top of my LED panels. In the HID days, I would tuck it up and away.

I tie with a cable/zip tie. I got the ones you can use again. A pack of pipe cleaners can be found in the arts area of the $ store.

negative37dBA

Veteran
I find a simple reusable twist tie to be effective...I just wrap the extra around my hand, pull it off and put said twist tie around middle and tighten. If you are carefull you can even pull out loops 1 at a time as needed and just tighten twist tie a bit more...
Peace, negative.

xet

If the string is small enough and can be clipped together, great.

If it's larger rope I want it lasso'd up and hanging somewhere handy and out of the way
s-l1000.jpg 51tFFPPpL9L._AC_SX466_-3981001011.jpeg

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use an elastic band or small zip ties to bunch up the ropes/cords and secure them. If you buy ground coffee in bags the twisty plastic thing they use to close the bag shut also work really well. Thick & bendable, easy to manipulate.

trouthugger

I use an elastic band or small zip ties to bunch up the ropes/cords and secure them. If you buy ground coffee in bags the twisty plastic thing they use to close the bag shut also work really well. Thick & bendable, easy to manipulate.
Just bought a bag of coffee beans this morning. Perfect timing Sir Smoke_A_Lot

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just bought a bag of coffee beans this morning. Perfect timing Sir Smoke_A_Lot
I'm always looking to see how i can re-use things. One day I was out of wire ties to close a trash bag and I seen the almost empty coffee bag on my counter and bingo! It came to me. :LOL:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wire tie and string but always use adjusters ,,,
if they get too long then I snip them but usually keep a piece of string 18 in long as just a reminder to not let the plants get burned ,shorter if I’m using heat shields,,,

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I throw them over the hanging bar and then out of the ventilation holes at the side of the tent. They hang down the outside walls, of the tent, so nothing touches the lamp.

trouthugger

I'm always looking to see how i can re-use things. One day I was out of wire ties to close a trash bag and I seen the almost empty coffee bag on my counter and bingo! It came to me. :LOL:
Want to hear something fucked up? My super market bakery recently quit putting bread ties on the bread bags. They just tape it shut. So once you open it you can't close it! I need to find something to use as a bread bag tie... maybe coffee bean bag again! haha

Three Berries

If you ever come across old fluorescent fixtures the wire inside is 20 ga solid insulated. Easy wire to work with and quite a bit in a light.

Corpselover Fat

Want to hear something fucked up? My super market bakery recently quit putting bread ties on the bread bags. They just tape it shut. So once you open it you can't close it! I need to find something to use as a bread bag tie... maybe coffee bean bag again! haha

Bread-bag-alignment-chart.jpg

Go neutral evil like any reasonable human.

alpo

my current grow i'm setting up, I zip tied the lights to the top so I can always walk under them

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I tie it to a S hook that fits over the tent hardware suport bars. That way I can hook that wherever i want and then i can roll the excess over the hook, out of the way.

alpo

just remembered i zip tied a 315w CMH reflector to the top of a tent a couple of months ago too.

i did have to use those ratchet hangers to lift the LED lights to the top of my current tent, zip tied them to the top and threw the ratchet straps back in a bin.

alpo

before that i used those two-sided velcro straps commonly used on short cables to hold the hanging hanger rope.

Latest posts

Latest posts