What's new

How to Care for a Fledgeling?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
most (not all) baby birds die if parents are not feeding them. i would put it (box & all) outside in a bush as close to where you found it as possible. if parents are still around, they might hear it begging to be fed . maybe... want to save something? move turtles & snakes out of the road. :tiphat:

dddaver

Veteran
The box idea is more to let nature take it's course without intervening too much. But sounds like you have already. It's okay if you want to call me an asshole. You certainly wouldn't be the first...nor the last...hopefully :tiphat:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
if your baby is as far along as you say, i'd keep stuffing him/her/it with worms etc. local bait shop should have red worms, night crawlers, and meal worms on hand. grasshoppers and crickets are beloved by birds as well. meal worms in particular are easy to keep alive in your fridge, and are cheap. not as cheap as free worms dug up in your yard of course, lol. i commend/admire you for being willing to try to help the helpless even in the face of adversity...we need more folks like you in this old world.:tiphat:

St. Phatty

The last baby bird I found, I gave to my indoor cat.

He is very good with baby chickens.

he ate the baby bird. Kind of gave me a guilty look afterwards. The "well you know I am a cat" type look.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Wet dog food can be a good emergency baby bird food. I recently rescued a pigeon chick of all things and for a few days the rescue center i took it to, i know for a fucking pigeon, said for baby birds you can feed em small amounts of wet dog food, its readily digestable.

Hydro8

Most all fledglings separated from their parents die.

One factor is their diet is very specific, their parents feed them a combination of food from their environment and what genetically they are designed to eat. It varies from bird to bird, seeds, bugs, etc the regurgitated food is at the perfect moisture level because the small birds do not drink water.

Another factor is as the fledglings grow they are getting educated by the parents of where to hide, where to feed, when to be quiet, when to communicate. In a a dark box they are not developing the skills they will need to survive the harsh world.

Then toss in the stress of being held captive. It is a poor way to die.

It really is best to leave them alone. The parents are usually still around they just don't want you to see them or they are away gathering food to feed them.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Saved a baby owl and the wildlife folks took him and let me
know it was released when ready.

Found in a dog run type park, would not have survived without intervention.

Do what you gotta' do, but the smaller song bird types survival
rate out of the nest is iffy at best.

Love me some birds, they are dinosaurs after all.

redlaser

Veteran
Lucky Bert, I was going to suggest the wildlife rehab places.

Took a hummingbird to one once, after it bounced off a window and slept it off on the sidewalk for a bit.
The place it went to would have accepted it without cost, but they encouraged donations for supply’s.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Lucky Bert, I was going to suggest the wildlife rehab places.

Took a hummingbird to one once, after it bounced off a window and slept it off on the sidewalk for a bit.
The place it went to would have accepted it without cost, but they encouraged donations for supply’s.

Yup, always support those places that rehab birds and other wildlife.

Cash is king, but goods and services are always welcome compensation.