What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How the hell to undo screen resolution changes?

Space Toker

Veteran
I was monkeying around with pc screen resolution settings. I have pics that when I attempt to use them as a screen saver, they are just a small pic in a box instead of full screen. Well, in the process, I set something to 256 bit high color instead of the setting it was for the longest time (will later figure out what that was). Something popped up and asked if I want to change something and I said yes. Now I got a screen with blown up psychedelic swirls and everything is huge (too huge for screen to handle). When I click on my user account, my screen saver pic looks like a negative, only with color. I tried and failed numerous times trying to use system restore, something is blocking it. Any help is desperately sought and well appreciated. thanks!

Space Toker

Veteran
It is a Dell computer and HP monitor. The messed up setting I changed it to (and that it is now stuck in) is "640 by 480, 256 colors, 75 hertz"....
It originally was (and I want to change it back to) "1680 by 1050, true color (32 bit), 59 hertz".

Space Toker

Veteran
thanks for the link, but it is not working. It refuses to restore to an earlier point, and to the proper resolution. I wish I hadn't monkeyed with it, but now I need to find a way to get it back to normal. thanks!

Edit, 5 minutes later: I did a system restore to an even earlier date, WHILE IN SAFE MODE, and now things are back to normal. I will NEVER do that again!
But if anyone knows how to get a smaller pic to fill the screen without becoming pixelated or distorted, please let me know... thanks!

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I don't know Dell computers, but is there an option somewhere in tools to reset back to the original factory settings?