What's new

How paranoid is TOO paranoid?

DaftBud

This question is specific, but I think it's also fairly relevant to all newb growers.

While buying all the stuff for your first grow, how paranoid is too paranoid?

For example, let's say you bought a few case fans on your credit card. Would it be going overboard to worry about buying your bulbs on the same card? Would those two purchases on your statement be enough to warrant a knock and talk or a full on search if the bacon company were to find a reason to be suspicious?

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
yeah i often wonder the same thing mate because i buy a lot of stuff over the internet, i do my best to pay in cash at any place i can get the stuff i need from close by, but yeah i'm still yet to hear of a single person who was spoken to, arrested, charged etc by the cops initially because of them looking at credit cards etc. a lot of the times if you check your credit card bill etc it'll just list the location and total amount spent not give products etc in a list form, but yeah i dunno if they can get access to that if the bank saves it at all or if they can go to the shop and suss it out. but i think they'd have bigger things to worry about than small time home growers and chasing anyone who buys a 1000watt hps. lol maybe if you order 10 of them from the same place they'll get suss.

also if you're worried about seeds and buying them, quite often from what i hear the shops that sell them from the netherlands etc have fake company names like "london bathroom lighting" and their return address is UK instead of NL etc, so your bill gives nothing away. also they package them so they don't get caught by customs and also shred ALL of their paper work including credit card details etc regarding your purchase after they've shipped the item.

just be as vigilant as you can i guess and hopefully no trouble comes your way! hope that helped put your mind at rest, if only a little :D

peace, darwin

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
compared to many people i know - im 'paranoid'. i take as few risks as i can (and so far so good *touch wood*). i would say you were more likely to be observed visiting a hydro shop than ordering on the internet but thats jmo. i always buy from regular gardening sites if possible.

remember there is no penalty for being too careful except the inconvenience.
the penalty for not being careful enough is much worse ;)

as for your lamp. try and buy it off a company that isnt obviously just there to serve weed growers.

VG.

^^^ Very well put. I also like using cash, as much as possible instead of cards, because cards document everything too well. Like for buying peat moss, perlite, worm castings or other basic staples. There are plenty of Nursery Suppliers on the net, that service big commercial greenhouses. They carry the same basic products -> lights, bulbs, reflectors, and don't raise redflags like going to IGROWPHATDANKBUDS dot com. I just made that up, but you get my point.

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
I don't think the purchase of equipment gets me paranoid.

It's the 36 plant SOG, 24 mums and about 40 clones on the go at any one time that gets me a little nervous, only sometimes though.

I don't even sell the shit.

Fuel

Using a credit card and be paranoid is not so compatible. So, you're absolutely not paranoid.

NHMI

I wouldn't worry about it. Just go to HTG supply or order from ebay if worried...I haven't had any issues and I ordered a ton of stuff...

NHMI

The leading cause of incarceration is the "best friend" so don't have one or let them know what you are doing and you will be safer...

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Paranoid enough to keep you out of the clink, but not so paranoid as to put you in the loony bin. That's my rule of thumb.

maltagrow

I told a few people what was going on and now I realized how stupid i am , should never tell anyone, now I get bad thoughts every time I hear someone knock on the door who I dont expect , well its my fault but could there be a way to improve this situation ?? I mean maybe give them the idea i have stopped the grow ?
Sry for hijack but shit im getting paranoid too after reading some articles about security.
Thnx

S

Sirus

If your growing at your house I don't think you can be too careful. If growing off site the burden of proof falls on them. Purchasing grow equipment is not illegal, if you find yourself being harrassed just lawyer up.

Cash and shopping yourself out of county is the safest I would think. Just cause its a pre-paid card doesn't mean they can't check a shipping address..

It's the shipping that really gets people caught, that is what gathers attention. Honestly, if it's your credit card that concerns you that is more of a financial investigation. Meaning that they couldn't find information anywhere else and probably more from investigating something that was not drug oriented at the start.

Using more than one credit card sounds complicated, I stick to money orders myself. It's the shipping that is the most concerning, neighbors seeing boxes when they don't spend money on anything other than beer and crack.

Shipping companies such as UPS have also worked with the DEA, they have given out shipping information. Such as certain companies considered 'green merchants', they find out who ordered what from these companies then fax that information to the local drug task force.

I read about a guy being busted after order a tiny 250 Watt because the DEA is a bunch of garbage with their foreign practices verses domestic. They grant huge deals that very much do promise drug production, in countries that the Military has interests. Then they bust you over a tiny freaking light, or some other meaningless crap.

The only way to stay truly secure, is having a fake residents that is purely for your grow then another purely for ordering equipment. The truth is it's easy to be watched after ordering something or at all being seen taking into your possession any 'grow paraphernalia'...but it's extremely rare!

The odds are in your favor with this hobby, this interest. It's just important to not feel to comfortable, I always get a tad edgy about packages. I hate the thought of being questioned as to why I order from a company that sells things that can grow high quality cannabis. The laws and practices are to stupid to want to justify why I order tiny amounts of horticulture products.

L

LolaGal

yeah, once you tell a friend, your only option is to tell them you wish you knew what you were doing, cause all them plants keeled over dead.

Bitch about how you wish you knew how to grow, then say it ain't worth it and tell friends it is all down.

all u can do now. tell no one except us here at ICMag, the spot to brag about weed you grew, cause you can't tell nobody else... lol

weazer421

So True.....

So True.....

Plus 100............

Couldn't have said it anybetter myself.....

Happy 420!!!!

Keep your mouth shut any you'll have plenty
:watchplant:

redeye1

the only way to keep a secret between two friends is if the other one is dead, dont use a credit card or order over the internet, and if u must use it never use your own, i prefer to drive a little bit out of town if i need anything, i pay in cash and watch my back on the way home, i may be a little over paranoid but id rather be a certified loony than a criminal, the only reason the cops will ever bother you is when some one else points the finger, and that could be any one.

That isn't good redeye, but yes I thought of that and didn't post any of those ideas.

LolaGal has a good idea, but then what about all that good bud. Wouldn't you just be itching to want to show that off to a person that can actually smoke it and smell that lovely smell?

It's best to have no friends in this hobby, it's a good way to learn who is really not a friend.

Rhino peace

Last week, I killed my whole crop just because I had a feeling that a friend of mine suspected I was growing.
Better safe than sorry, in jail.