What's new

How often to water vegging outdoor plants in holes?

Zarezhu

Hey all,

So I feel I have a pretty good understanding of outdoor growing. I've pulled 7 harvests ranging from mediocre to amazing. Often moved spots.

This year, I dug out 1/2 yard holes, filled them with vermifire soil, and transplanted into em 3 weeks ago. The native soil doesnt drain exceptionally well, but its sloped so it's not the worst. It's fairly high in clay, with some aggregate as well. I flooded the hole with a few hundred gallons of water prior to dumping my soil in, and it took 3 days for the water to soak in (I flooded the fuck outa the holes, filled em to the brim).

I'm in a really hot part of norcal, so growing in-ground is super beneficial, as the rootball stays much cooler, and dries out more evenly. I've done above ground smart pots/DIY straw containers for years. They dry out inconsistently and are hard to water/keep soil temps steady.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I transplanted a large amount of plants into my 100g holes of vermifire, soaked the new soil. I've always thought you need to let the soil dry the fuck out before watering again. The first sign of wilt/sadness in the garden, and I'll start watering the drier holes individually. It's been 3 weeks, and my plants are extremely healthy. Tripled in size, still no wilt, still haven't watered em.

The guy whom I rent property from is telling me I need to water, I needed to water weeks ago. He has never had resultslike I have, not even close.

Do you all let your outdoor holes dry out considerably to encourage rooting? I figure I'll do this for the 2-3 months of veg, and once they start to bud, naturally, I'll keep them from drying out (higher water frequency, especially on the 90-100 degree days).

But a part of me wonders: If I water my larger plants right now, will they still root just as fast, be more healthy, more vigorous?

90 degree days and the large plants still don't wilt in the heat. 21 days I haven't watered them. My rootball must be getting massive.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you all let your outdoor holes dry out considerably to encourage rooting? I figure I'll do this for the 2-3 months of veg, and once they start to bud, naturally, I'll keep them from drying out (higher water frequency, especially on the 90-100 degree days).

But a part of me wonders: If I water my larger plants right now, will they still root just as fast, be more healthy, more vigorous?

If 4"-6" dry on top soil, water them.

ManyManySpliffs

Can you post pics of the plants? I get what you're saying about the holes having plenty water beforehand and the roots may be digging deep. If they don't look droopy or like they're dying they should be fine. At the most I'd just mist them with a water bottle..

I've ALWAYS been about letting my girls droop like once a month... the like the dry feet and it encourages root growth. .. I'm usually pushing as much as I can on them but it helps take a step back periodically.

The last couple hot weeks had them drinking 10g a DAY... and they could have taken more, but I always have to worry about my well

CannaFunk

I wish I had clay that held water like that, im dealing with pure sand that drains like no other.

Sounds like your plants getting massive, give her a light water on top with some ferts then once you think the lower root area is drying out give it another thorough watering.

Limeygreen

Veteran
If you want to see and be accurate get a tensiometre or two, irrometre makes some good ones but I haven't tried any others to give any other opinions. If you know your soil structure you know on the centibars where you want to be, you can even buy the ones that hook up to a rainbird valve and water at your set point for automatic irrigation if everything is roughly the same. This could help you decide if you want to water more or not, if you like your results and feel like you don't need to do anything different then do your thing if you would like to go more in depth this is the route I would go.

Latest posts

Latest posts