What's new

How much usable space is in a 24x24 cold frame compared to two 12x24 hoop houses?

Deezl

How much usable space is there in a 24x24 cold frame compared to two 12x24 hoop houses?

How would you lay out 27-30 plants in a 12x24 hoop? (small light dep plants).
Using trellis (and rolling platforms if they would help).
The hoop might go on top of 2 or 3 foot walls if needed.

Thanks y'all

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
........one is simpler ...I once had 4...only had hoop setups,,yeehaw..I did three long beds in one about 20 inches high or so,,, and the other one.. middle bed and containers on each side all along...ran it on fertigation setup;;simple..yeehaw..farmtek rules...setting one on walls would be awesome ..as it would give you a bit more space on the sides....mine were in a gulley area so you couldn't see em from the road..liked it that way..but there was an eerie glow at night..elevating them would be worth the cost n effort IMHO... I thought about railroad ties but then thought of nosy people...long gone now ...

Deezl

Thanks!
The hoop houses in those photos looks like they have straight sidewalls on the sides because of how the metal is bent?! Looks really spacious.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
if you can do the walls definitely do it....you can thank me later...I had no complaints with them...very sturdy too ...handled snow and wind in new England without any issues...farmtek.com actually they are prob made by clearspan but sold through farmtek...yeehaw..they are still in use by new owner..consider the roll up sides kit too....if stealth aint an issue..my other 2 big ass ones had it...

amanda88

as a side issue

Many tunnel house are now coming in green type plastic,

does the green inhibit light to the plants in any way, over the clear covering?

as 'we' know green light is ignored by c3 plants, but still I wonder

credit to Deezil

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I would want to see one in person and have a light meter...otherwise they should state percentages ....green would block more light I imagine and heat up more than clear/white I would also think...yeehaw..I liked the woven poly from farmtek...good transmission and cant see in ..cant tell unless a leave is pressed against material...and good longetivity...the poly carbonite door panels deteriorated before the greenhouse covering ..got 5 years on the greehhouse and like 2 1/2 on the door panels...lol..that's why one of them doors was black ..was in process of putting new panel in...