What's new

How much Thrust do the Exhaust Headers on a 2000 horsepower car generate ?

St. Phatty

I have a feeling the answer is staring me in the face.

You have to burn a certain amount of gas to generate that much horsepower.

It's not a fantasy question. There's a Vette that some guy put a 5000 hp engine in.

Anyway, just curious, if you could hold the exhaust pipe in your hand without burning yourself, how hard would it push ? Measured in Pounds.

Or, if you put the engine in a dynamometer that was mounted on a cart with really good bearings - a big if for a 3000 pound car with a heavy dyno - the whole thing would start moving because the exhaust is producing thrust.

But, how much thrust ?

If you attached it to a weight on a pulley, how much weight could it lift ?

I'm asking about the HUUUUGE amount of hot gas that is produced when the thing burns a gallon of gas every 1/100th of a second.

Another way to ask a similar question - how much gas does the car burn during the quarter mile run ?

St. Phatty

Enough thrust + air to blow up Marilyn's skirt ?

marilyn3b.jpg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
It's easier to judge power generated by air intake rather than gas intake, cause it's guaranteed you aren't burning all the gas when you injecting that much.. But for sure you are burning all the gas that the available air can ignite.
I don't know the formulas, I am sure some time spent googling can give you the way to calculate it to a good ballpark figure.

St. Phatty

It's easier to judge power generated by air intake rather than gas intake, cause it's guaranteed you aren't burning all the gas when you injecting that much.. But for sure you are burning all the gas that the available air can ignite.
I don't know the formulas, I am sure some time spent googling can give you the way to calculate it to a good ballpark figure.

That's one of the advantages of Hydrogen as a fuel. There are no doubts about it mixing with Oxygen because, it's also a Gas.

One of the things that never entirely made sense to me is the Helmholtz equation that correlates air temperature to the velocity of air molecules, which is also connected to the speed of sound.

1000 feet per second is how fast the air molecules around us are moving, but it is random ... is the theory.

Anyway, for someone trying to light 8 cylinders of LOVE however many times a second, having your fuel mix thoroughly, QUICKLY, is very convenient.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The NPK guys say that their bull horns generate about 450 lbs of downforce on each side when at WOT.

Steve Morris just put out a video talking about this very subject over on youtube. If you don't know who Steve Morris is, he built a 6 second Buick Roadmaster station wagon he takes on drag and drive events.