What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Much Space do Autos Need?

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Ciao a tutti,

I'm planning on making long hugelkulture beds this coming season to plant autos in. I figure digging one big bed will save a lot of time and possibly make it easier to blend them in.

My question is, how big of a bed do I need to prepare for 20 autos? My idea isn't necessarily "sea of green" exactly, but between cover crop and the autos close together, I hope that it's hard to spot.

Think 5 ft x 15 ft would fit 20 or 25 autos?

I've never grown them before so I don't know how much space they require, but I'm looking for some of the bigger varieties and I hope to average 2 oz per.

Koondense

Veteran
If your spot is good(much sunlight during the day), autos can get pretty big.
I think each plant can use 50x50cm easy, so let's say 4 plants/m^2, this equals to around 5 m^2. Your 5ftx15ft intention seems like a pretty good fit.
Good luck!

*I assume you'll grow next season, if you will plant now in northern hemisphere(35+N), no amount of luck will help you.

squatty

I think there is now a huge variation in the size of autoflowers. The first generations of lowryder autos were tiny little plants. Many of todays autos are much bigger. You also have the super autos today that get quite large.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
^I'm probably going to go with something from Sweet Seeds because you can get some of their autos for a good price. Little over 100 bucks for 25.

Koondense

Veteran
Check out Mephisto, from many reviews they are probably the best feminised autoflowers on market.
They have a 'plant size guide' so you can have better planning for your grow area, not much variation in each line.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
I'm gonna have to look at some reviews - they don't specify how long it takes the plants to mature from germination to harvest.

The Sweet Seeds variety I'm eyeing up is 9 and a half weeks germination to harvest (supposedly). It's their Big Devil 2 x with their Jack Herrer, so it's supposed to yield a good amount of nice bud.

Koondense

Veteran
... they don't specify how long it takes the plants to mature from germination to harvest....

Of course they do but it seems their website is down now.
Contact @mitch_connor here on IC and take a look at this thread.

If I had a spot for outos only, I'd for sure get at least two-three different seedmakers to see which genes/varieties like best the spot.

gorilla ganja

I planted a seed crop as close as 8 inches together. But I would give them no less than a sq.ft each. 2 sq.ft would probably be the best use of space.
I agree with Koondense try a few strains out. Most will not be half as big outside as they would with proper conditions inside. I will say most autos I have tried so far do not take any stress well, so be gentle and try not to transplant more than necessary.
If possible start them in their final home. Go easy on nutrients, easy to give them too much nitrogen and delay flowering.
Best of luck and please keep us updated as to which ones you like best.

Peace GG

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Bump. Found a nice little spot I'm gonna throw 16 or so autos this year.

I'm not planning on digging the holes for them very big, though. I was thinking maybe 1' in diameter and 1' deep or so. Minimal amendments, just some coco coir and some insect frass (and a small handful of lime and gypsum).

Small holes and light on the amendments because I've gotta conserve my time, energy, and soil amendments for my photoperiod girls.

Latest posts

Latest posts