What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How much is too much?

Stashman

When I'm making my canna butter I tend to use 5 oz of product to 4 cups of qhee. Can I use more bud to increase the potency? Is there a saturation point? This enquiring mind would love to know!

Maple_Flail

iirc 100mg thc/thca per 1ml is the soluble limit in ambiguous oil.

i want to say it was olive oil. seeing as butter and olive oil have similar infusing quality it is likely in that ball park for butter. Clarified that is.. i'd go 80-85% of that for ghee as the milk solids are cooked in not removed.

either way, you are likely to run into the problem of too much product not enough solvent/fat before you hit the actual solubility limit unless you are using shatter or rosin.
example 2oz high quality herb per half cup of butter would near the solubility limit

obviously you could use water, I prefer to avoid that personally, it robs the butter of terps i want to stay in the butter.

IMHO the strongest effect can come from simple leaving the resin in the butter. sift it down to only heads and just leave it in your butter.. little bit of lecithin to emulsify what isn't absorbed so it doesn't all congregate at the bottom once set. this way your only issue is smell and taste..

and personally, edibles should taste a little like pot so you know you are eatting an edible.. not overwhelmingly but it should be there.

Last edited:

Stashman

iirc 100mg thc/thca per 1ml is the soluble limit in ambiguous oil.

i want to say it was olive oil. seeing as butter and olive oil have similar infusing quality it is likely in that ball park for butter. Clarified that is.. i'd go 80-85% of that for ghee as the milk solids are cooked in not removed.

either way, you are likely to run into the problem of too much product not enough solvent/fat before you hit the actual solubility limit unless you are using shatter or rosin.
example 2oz high quality herb per half cup of butter would near the solubility limit

obviously you could use water, I prefer to avoid that personally, it robs the butter of terps i want to stay in the butter.

IMHO the strongest effect can come from simple leaving the resin in the butter. sift it down to only heads and just leave it in your butter.. little bit of lecithin to emulsify what isn't absorbed so it doesn't all congregate at the bottom once set. this way your only issue is smell and taste..

and personally, edibles should taste a little like pot so you know you are eatting an edible.. not overwhelmingly but it should be there.
I'm sure what you are writing is quite accurate even if I can't understand all of it. What I am gathering from this is that I can use up to 2 oz of good quality pot per half cup of ghee/oil. Which would work out to 4 oz per cup. Damn, if I tell this to my wife she's gonna make me order another tent to keep up with demand!! Am I correct with my conclusion?

Maple_Flail

I'm sure what you are writing is quite accurate even if I can't understand all of it. What I am gathering from this is that I can use up to 2 oz of good quality pot per half cup of ghee/oil. Which would work out to 4 oz per cup. Damn, if I tell this to my wife she's gonna make me order another tent to keep up with demand!! Am I correct with my conclusion?

Theoretical limit assuming roughly 22% thc content with not much else going for it, other than quality terps. with THCA reduced down to about 15% remaining. (meaning decarbed longer)
There are more nuances to consider if you are serious about it, for most people 20% of the limit is more than enough (100mg in a tsp {5ml})

IMHO this far exceeds any kind of recreational need, this is straight up a potency for severe medical issues.

So you could, but why would you need too. IT IS alot of extra work with the extracting, and winterizing added to the mix. Also not clue how much longer it would take to saturate the butter with this much cannabinoids never tested that..

there are other ways of managing potency other than simply ramming it full of pot, you can manage the size of the edible.. less protein and carbs there will be less holding the cannabinoids back in digestion.

for example, the Crispy treats I make, I'll use a little over a half ounce of high quality herb with more than THC and terps in it. add two bottles from the legal market for CBD and CBN in a Full cup of butter making 64 doses
lasting about 2 weeks.
in contrast, the gummies i've started to make I use a little more than 1/8oz and two different bottles of oil (different ratio goal, but the same thc : cbd : cbn ratio+CBG) it makes 52 doses of two gummies each. these batches so far have lasted week and a half on average.

day to day effect of both batches are similar, I make them for my spouse to go to work with. input materials are significantly different but similar end effect.

Stashman

Theoretical limit assuming roughly 22% thc content with not much else going for it, other than quality terps. with THCA reduced down to about 15% remaining. (meaning decarbed longer)
There are more nuances to consider if you are serious about it, for most people 20% of the limit is more than enough (100mg in a tsp {5ml})

IMHO this far exceeds any kind of recreational need, this is straight up a potency for severe medical issues.

So you could, but why would you need too. IT IS alot of extra work with the extracting, and winterizing added to the mix. Also not clue how much longer it would take to saturate the butter with this much cannabinoids never tested that..

there are other ways of managing potency other than simply ramming it full of pot, you can manage the size of the edible.. less protein and carbs there will be less holding the cannabinoids back in digestion.

for example, the Crispy treats I make, I'll use a little over a half ounce of high quality herb with more than THC and terps in it. add two bottles from the legal market for CBD and CBN in a Full cup of butter making 64 doses
lasting about 2 weeks.
in contrast, the gummies i've started to make I use a little more than 1/8oz and two different bottles of oil (different ratio goal, but the same thc : cbd : cbn ratio+CBG) it makes 52 doses of two gummies each. these batches so far have lasted week and a half on average.

day to day effect of both batches are similar, I make them for my spouse to go to work with. input materials are significantly different but similar end effect.
Thank you very much. My big wonder has been if I have been putting more pot into my oil than I need (over saturating it). I'm quite happy with my current dosages. I use about 1 oz per cup. I'm guesstimating that I get about 100 doses from that. But for future uses... good to know!

Latest posts

Latest posts