What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many watts is "too many" in So Cal?

3 Kw will not get you noticed as long as you pay the bills on time.

Everything else you seem to have made up your mind. Good luck with the plan. If you ever end up driving something to the midwest go around Utah.

THIS IS ALL I WAS ASKING. THANK YOU EVERYONE ELSE FOR THE GRATUITOUS BULLSHIT! :moon:

praisehim.

Veteran
when people are rude, being rude back to them only makes you look bad.

calis tough, in every way. can you move out here and grow ? yes, of course...but its not easy. Just make sure you have some cushion to change things up if needed.

stay out of huntington, its a cool place, but either ppl there are stoners or super anit-pot... i wouldnt risk it. got to costa mesa, its still got a laid back huntington vibe but with cheaper housing. And if your gonna try to live a normal life, with gf's and what not, make sure theyre never around any grow stuff. Lots of people get robbed in so cal, and basically everyone has there eye out for a grow.

best of luck.

stay out of huntington, its a cool place, but either ppl there are stoners or super anit-pot... i wouldnt risk it. got to costa mesa, its still got a laid back huntington vibe but with cheaper housing. And if your gonna try to live a normal life, with gf's and what not, make sure theyre never around any grow stuff. Lots of people get robbed in so cal, and basically everyone has there eye out for a grow.

best of luck.

Good advice. Thank you. This seems to be what I have heard. Costa mesa is cheaper and a little more laid back. That is what draws me there.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
I've ran two 500 watt HPS in a room for a few harvests. Why does this matter though. Am I allowed to learn?

sure thing you can learn a LOT. I have a feeling you will.

do they make 500w hps? I thought they were 600 400 or 430 usually. Whatever, its a nonfactor.

please start a grow thread when you move out! I'd love to follow it.

sure thing you can learn a LOT. I have a feeling you will.

do they make 500w hps? I thought they were 600 400 or 430 usually. Whatever, its a nonfactor.

please start a grow thread when you move out! I'd love to follow it.

It may have been 2 400s. I really don't remember man. This was about 4 years ago.

I have a few threads of some stealth grows I did in my apartment closet. Chump change compared to you big fish, but feel free to check it.

growbig789

It sounds like you want the best of both worlds... 9 to 5 job with a nice place next to the beach with your buddy and running a pretty sizeable illegal grow op (that you clearly haven't thought through completely or have had the experience to know what kind of situations and challenges you will encounter)

Wattage is a concern but obviously alot of the responders to this post are bringing up things that you have not thought about yet.

Buy the condo, do your day job, get ur med card, and run a 1 light personal grow so you have some weed for yourself and friends. Or scrap your original plan and listen to some of the advice in the thread and have a more serious grow plan.

blackosprey

I'm going to stay out of the shit throwing going on here, but I do have a question...
why move out west when you plan on shipping everything back home? Why risk the fed charges for interstate trafficking? Just stay where you are, the cost of living has got to be way cheaper, and your 20k will go much much further.

or is this a case of
obamatroll.jpg

Tyga

Veteran
You will have some big competition in cali... that's all I'm saying. And the last time you grew bud was 4 years ago? I'm not hating man but before I went and made a drastic change in my life like that I would make sure I had a SOLID plan... Like run a strain.. learn it... grow it 10 more times till you perfect it. THEN go out and do your thang. Lots of factors man... I know we all get the "cash chase" thought in your mind but you need to take a step back and think "Am I really prepared?" I was ready to start up a 4K in a rental house like 2 years ago and I made the same sort of thread and everyone hated on me..
I look back now and I'm GLAD I took there advice because the amount of info I've learned in the past couple years is astonishing. And If I went threw with it I would have regretted it.

You will have some big competition in cali... that's all I'm saying. And the last time you grew bud was 4 years ago? I'm not hating man but before I went and made a drastic change in my life like that I would make sure I had a SOLID plan... Like run a strain.. learn it... grow it 10 more times till you perfect it. THEN go out and do your thang. Lots of factors man... I know we all get the "cash chase" thought in your mind but you need to take a step back and think "Am I really prepared?" I was ready to start up a 4K in a rental house like 2 years ago and I made the same sort of thread and everyone hated on me..
I look back now and I'm GLAD I took there advice because the amount of info I've learned in the past couple years is astonishing. And If I went threw with it I would have regretted it.

Too much competition in Cali... which is why I am moving it out to the midwest where my people are...i thought this has been addressed...

Y

YosemiteSam

3 lights ain't no thing to run...1/2 hour a day avg maybe except for trimming and you can do that on a weekend. I just set up 3 lights for a young couple in their garage...both with med cards so they can run 12 plants between them (CO). Set it up for 1K veg and 2K flower...they can turn it 5 x a year if they pay attention and get 3-4 lbs a grow depending on strain.

Not a bad way to pay the rent, school loans etc...they both have regular jobs

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
HAHA wow smokahontas....you call me the prick but you're the one losing your cool, calling people names when you havent even walked your baby nuts down the block here....

you are getting advice from PLAYERS already in the game, who make you look like a small time punk...who are already doing what you're doing x10...and telling you good advice that might save your ass alot of headache..

haha honestly. DONT FOLLOW OUR ADVICE. at first i was semi concerned about your well being. but now i would find happiness in watching you fail...your plan has fail written all over it

you have only grown 2 "500s" LMAO...and you wanna step it up to 4kw in a tiny ass 1300 bedroom condo, WITH A ROOMATE WHO DOESNT GROW....the fact that you dont realize how absurd this is, shows your novice outlook...

i was just at my friends 4kw condo grow...i wish he would post pics of his living room because there is equipment and grow shit lying everywhere. good luck keeping a 4kw contained into 1 bedroom you noob...and good luck to your friend, he has no idea what hes getting himself into. you havent even addressed how your gonna handle veg, air ducting with shared walls, upgrading eletrical panels in an HOA neighborhood, moving equipment/work in and out of a condo with many neighbors...have fun, seriously!

HAHA wow smokahontas....you call me the prick but you're the one losing your cool, calling people names when you havent even walked your baby nuts down the block here....

you are getting advice from PLAYERS already in the game, who make you look like a small time punk...who are already doing what you're doing x10...and telling you good advice that might save your ass alot of headache..

haha honestly. DONT FOLLOW OUR ADVICE. at first i was semi concerned about your well being. but now i would find happiness in watching you fail...your plan has fail written all over it

you have only grown 2 "500s" LMAO...and you wanna step it up to 4kw in a tiny ass 1300 bedroom condo, WITH A ROOMATE WHO DOESNT GROW....the fact that you dont realize how absurd this is, shows your novice outlook...

i was just at my friends 4kw condo grow...i wish he would post pics of his living room because there is equipment and grow shit lying everywhere. good luck keeping a 4kw contained into 1 bedroom you noob...and good luck to your friend, he has no idea what hes getting himself into. you havent even addressed how your gonna handle veg, air ducting with shared walls, upgrading eletrical panels in an HOA neighborhood, moving equipment/work in and out of a condo with many neighbors...have fun, seriously!

Dude I appreciate the help and I know I have a lot to learn. But the topic of this conversation wasn't "how do i upgrade electrical?" or "how do i air duct with a shared wall?".... Right now my question is "how many watts is suspicious?" That is all. Some people chose to answer me respectfully and fairly and I appreciate that.

I know I have a lot to learn. I am a patient person. I'll get to those questions you brought up later.

RipVanWeed

I have a 3kw grow in SoCal. Mini-split A/C, fans and whatnot. Edison installed a smartmeeter a yr ago. They take my payment every month, no questions.....4 yrs now. Bout 5-600$per mo.

I understand yer desire to make this idea work, but the stealth aspects are what I think will be too tough to tame.

The amount of trash created is amazing.

The odor is impossible to contain to one room....especially while harvesting.

Transporting equipment and materials into said condo.

My place is 1/2 acre with mature landscaping giving me privacy in the backyard......Still can be scary at times.

Seems like condo living would be too tight to pull off such a grow. If ya knew yer condo neighbors were cool, it might be possible. But your going in blind......

My view of OC folk is old, conservative, and NOSEY. They DEMAND that everyone be as uptight and unhappy as they are, and if you want to alter your conciousness (sic) a little then stick to alcohol and Rx drugs......They maybe dangerous and addicting, but they are legal.

Good chance neighbors would be your downfall.

Start planning for cooling big time.....even in the OC where the ocean breezes cool the coast, 3 mi inland it starts gettin hot! 20k down won't get you anywhere near the water. HOA prolly won't allow for a window A/C...jus thinkin

Start your own thread when you set up.....the advice will be much more helpful when your asking more focused nuts and bolts or grow questions.

As for shipping......be prepared to lose a pillow every now and then. They're getting pretty good ferreting out mj packs. You gonna sleep OK with a pack or two not showing up?

Good Luck......it's all doable. Weigh the risk carefully.

T

TribalSeeds

I don't get why it would be difficult if you used proper oder control i.e. carbon scrubber...

People dont take it lightly when they think some stoner is putting their families lives in danger by sharing connecting walls with a grow house.

People dont take it lightly when they think some stoner is putting their families lives in danger by sharing connecting walls with a grow house.

True that. Good point my dude. It just sucks because I can't afford land in that area. I was looking out east in san bernardino or up north where I could maybe squeeze a few acres out of that budget, but I have been set on orange county. I like the area. And like I said, I will likely have a job lined up in long beach.

stc9357

Not trying to call you out on anything but you don't remember the size of your previous grow you said it was 2 500's, then said it could possibly be 2 400's I call bullshit on that just say you don't have any experience rather than lie. Any grower knows lights don't come in 500w range so that was straight bullshit.

How are you going to handle running the electrical you won't be able to run it from using the dryer outlet having cords throughout your house would be suspicious if your having people over. Personally I think its smarter to run a small 1k just buy outdoor packs at 12-1800 and ship. Anyway man best of luck

The Phoenix

Risen From The Ashes
Veteran
A 3kw system is nothing to worry about in HB or CM. In fact the weather is so prime in those areas that you will have little need for AC if you know how and when to open a few windows since your going to use tents, lol.

You'll save a ton on cooling in those cities, so that will offset some of the energy flags.

Upstairs condo's are great for this on the outside portions of the complex.

Go for it with confidence!

shmalphy

Veteran
You'll do fine, it's just like the old 500's you had 4 years back. Just like riding a bike, kid. No sweat. Let us know how you do.

Latest posts

Latest posts