What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many here re-use their coco?

IngFarmer

Coir is not cheap in Hawai'i. We run it several times using enzymes & o2 rinse. Also adding new coir to the mix every time, the plants break it down.

The problem with coir is that it holds almost zero nutrients.
what is an O2 rinse? can you explain more please...reusing coco after like the 4th run gave me hell...so I'm really interested in learning how you guys do it...please explain the O2 rinse..what is O2?

goingrey

what is an O2 rinse? can you explain more please...reusing coco after like the 4th run gave me hell...so I'm really interested in learning how you guys do it...please explain the O2 rinse..what is O2?
Hydrogen peroxide or H2O2

IngFarmer

Hydrogen peroxide or H2O2

just hydrogren peroxide? wow...lets say i got a 100 liter barrel filled with coco, the H2O2 i can lay my hands on are just 3% strong and of weight 200g, about 0.2 liters, very small...how much peroxide do i need to put into the coco to sterilize it ???

IngFarmer

2Liters mixed with water? please be clear, so my barrel is full of 100 liters of coco with roots, just pouring two liters of peroxide will not reach anywhere, do i mix it with water? how much? like do i fill it with water to the brim then add 2 liters of peroxide? cos h20 water dilutes peroxide...please explain more, dont forget the peroxide i can get here is just 3% strong

goingrey

2Liters mixed with water? please be clear, so my barrel is full of 100 liters of coco with roots, just pouring two liters of peroxide will not reach anywhere, do i mix it with water? how much? like do i fill it with water to the brim then add 2 liters of peroxide? cos h20 water dilutes peroxide...please explain more, dont forget the peroxide i can get here is just 3% strong
2l of 3% H2O2 into 100l of water. About.. going by the 2ml/l of 35% from the coir.com site. I guess less will fit into your barrel with the coco in it too, Archimedes with the eureka and all that.

Ca++

"I did once use enzymes to clean pebbles, and suggest that might of been the taste issue. I won't have them anymore."
what do you mean by this? can you explain further? thanks
It's quite some time ago now. I used canna zym between crops, then mild amounts for some time. My main take-away is not to. I can't quite remember the taste, but seem it think it was mushy. Not rotten or foul. Not even algae. Stagnant perhaps. An odd air about it.
Every substrate has it's flavour, and pebble are a harsh dusty smoke. The gain in organic flavour was very noticeable. Had I of changed compost brands or something, I might of expected such a thing. However, I was a chemical grower.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Reduce, Re-use, Re-Coco!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Kush Mintz from Barney's in replanted Coco.

stiff

Veteran
I flush the last week of a grow with triple strength enzymes and then plant the new plants right into the old rootball.
The coco seems to get better with every grow.
If I've had gnats I'll add BTI to the last week and also the first two weeks of the new plants. The plants are loving it

stiff

Veteran
I feel like it's really taking off at that stage. My best runs happened when I reused the coco 4-5 times...anyone else observing the same?

Latest posts

Latest posts