What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How fast do you trim?

Hmong

Veteran
Indoor 1kg in 10-12hrs, worktime without smoke & lunch breaks etc.
Outdoor it depends on the setup, commercial/private/group vs. alone & scedule.
Alone, never more than 300g before I quit to annoyance and neck pain! Had some seasons of trimming about everything, just to get something out. Early harvests, mildew etc.

today just beeing a low key homegrower, I take it easy. 1m2 box, 500-600g in an afternoon. low height camping chair, stacks of boxes, a bunch of freshly cleaned sciccors, hash knife and some podcasts. Also important curved! sciccors, are the trick for all the gram buds.

Last edited:

goingrey

Specifically dried material, zero moisture, pre-boveda.

Yeah, sometimes under a 1/4 oz per minute, sometimes over a 1/4oz per minute. Around 5-7lbs per shift depending on what other duties may have interrupted clipping (cleaning scissors, tasked with dumping 70lb bags of stems in the parking lot dumpster, etc)

Sometimes you can do 11g in a minute but there is always a nug(s) that will slow that roll and bring that hourly average back down to earth.

The slow new people would do 40-60g/hour.

385g/hour was considered slow (there is a misconception that 1lb/hour is industry standard which is true if you as an operator want to fudge your weight with extra stem and leaves) until bosses realized my work never needed touch-ups and got big compliments from names you would know and anyone going faster than me needed tons of touch-ups so it didn't matter they were doing 500g/hour if someone else had to come behind them and spend an hour or more touching up most of their work.

Wet material is ~1200g/hour while shucking.

The real fast way to trim is a Greenbros machine.

Ripped out 50lbs in 4 hours. Took another 4 hours to vac seal.
So in a commercial setting it's dried bone dry then packaged with a Boveda pack to return moisture? That's interesting.

I checked out a video of one of those machines. What I found interesting about that was that they put in these nice big tops, what I would consider the most desirable product, and what came out were these funny little nuggets. But I suppose it's necessary if later it's all bagged up into smaller packages. So the guy doesn't have to do a second round of trimming and doesn't end up with a bunch of stems (nature's Boveda packs).

Anyway, very different than a personal growers postharvest treatment.

xet

So in a commercial setting it's dried bone dry then packaged with a Boveda pack to return moisture? That's interesting.
Yup which is a real honest approach for weight's sake and obv the whole commercial process cannot produce "kind" bud because of it's speed>quality regardless of how "Craft" they advertise their self. The best kind craft is any master grower's headstash who shares with 3 or 4 people and that is it.
I checked out a video of one of those machines. What I found interesting about that was that they put in these nice big tops, what I would consider the most desirable product, and what came out were these funny little nuggets. But I suppose it's necessary if later it's all bagged up into smaller packages. So the guy doesn't have to do a second round of trimming and doesn't end up with a bunch of stems (nature's Boveda packs).
It's all the same difference from overhead. An incredible amount of shake is produced which is turned to extract so it's a win/win from a saving time perspective. 1 Person can process 10 or 20 pounds of bud per hour like why not from their perspective.
Anyway, very different than a personal growers postharvest treatment.
It is indeed an ugly process full of things which will convince you to no longer buy commercial and instead grow your own

Latest posts

Latest posts