What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how do YOU connect to the internet???

H

H^2o2

Those of us lucky enough to live in a metro area have probably become accustomed to cable internet - FIOS or Comcast. Or some might even use DSL.
Recently I lost my iPhone and replaced it with a Windows Phone. After some googling, I found out I could use the phone as a modem, just needed to download some drivers. So after a few days of downloading drivers and tinkering - I'm online! I'm getting speeds about 3.3MB/s. That's pretty much DSL speed. For free! I have the old iPhone unlimited data plan.
I'm already paying $100 a month for the phone, so why not? Shouldn't I be able to use my data connection as I see fit? It is unlimited data afterall.
Since March they have been cracking down on people tethering - but this has been all iPhone. I think if I keep it under 10Gigs a month I won't raise any flags. Was thinking about netflix, but not sure how much data one movie would use up.
So anyone else tethering? Ever hear of anyone get caught? How much data do you usually go through in a month?

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
yea but i phones to me are scary... i wouldnt do anything online you wouldnt want others to see... they like to geo tag your pics and videos and save everyscreen shot and all kinds of shit you cant get into...

i swear its like a gold mind to a police officer... they jsut store alot of info alot of us wouldnt like stored... be careful but pretty sweet...

I

In~Plain~Site

Dude, that's like 12% of your net monthly income

Dude, that's like 12% of your net monthly income

That will come in handy when you're living in a box...I mean island paradise :tiphat:

SWEET! :)

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
it is funny that unlimited data plan is not unlimited if u use too much lol...

Blue Socks

My buddy has been doing just what you're describing for years now. If you have unlimited data, then it seems like a sweet deal to me.

H

H^2o2

it is funny that unlimited data plan is not unlimited if u use too much lol...
yeah it's really messed up...what ATT does though is expect that not everyone will actually use more than say 4-5gigs a month..even unlimited. And most people don't. Get 20 million people to not use much data, and that's how ATT makes their money. Basically getting people to pay for data that they don't use.
I think some people have gotten by with like a gig a day doing this tethering thing. My normal iphone usage was like 6gigs. I'll have to check out the usage in a few weeks. But this is awesome - for @100 a month, I'm getting a Windows Phone, which is a world phone :) , along with it's data and applications, as well as internet for the laptop. That's how it should be. The people that they've caught doing this with iPhone's have gotten automatically switched to new 2gig/month plans, with 20 for each additional gig. I'm making out like a bandit, and I just have to be careful not to download huge files.