What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HonJam - TychoMonolyth's Honduran Jamaican early flowering sativa for high latitude outdoor growers. How did he do it?

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

Last summer was the 2nd year I'd tried these seeds, but the first time I got females. The first year I got two early developing males, so I tried again last summer, this time with three plants and scored two early flowering females and an early flowering boy too.
How is it possible to cross two tropical varieties and pull out seeds which reliably start developing when nights are only 9 hours long? They don't have nights that short in Honduras or Jamaica, but so far all of the 5 of these seeds I've tried have been perfect as far as kicking off flowering right at the start of August here at almost 46ºN.
The two females I grew out were rootbound together in a 3.5 gallon container, so its not all too impressive of a show, but there was enough meat on them at harvest time for some good smoke and I made a small batch of F2s also.

This first image is the two females as they were just getting started on August 3, showing off the slightly broader leaf veg foliage.
hjaug3a.png

The larger female three weeks later on August 24
hjaug24a.jpg

These next two are the HonJam sisters on September 22
hjsept22a.jpg

hjsept22b.jpg

So, as you can see I got a harvestable, smokeable plant which I could've taken in as a very early harvest on the equinox and all that came from tropical landrace genetics, it seems like a difficult trick to pull off, I'd it seems impossible if I wasn't witness to the fact that it is.

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

I'm not sure if its F1 or not, but the two females I got were extremely similar, so I kind of doubt an F1 or F2. I've never grown Jamaican or Honduran on their own so I don't have any reasonable guess at how diverse their F1s would be. If it is a natural adaptation, I sure would like to find out how many generations that takes.

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

Thats interesting, I've never grown out large populations like whats needed for five years running, so that explains why I've never seen it happen like that, but I'm not all too surprised that it would, its a very adaptable plant & seems clever at acclimatizing to new environments. I guess I'll have to presume the Honduran Jamaican is somewhere F5 or past. It sure does seem consistent from what little I've seen

Latest posts

Latest posts