What's new

Homebuilt boats.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was thinking about building a small wooden boat. Something around 12'. I've looked some plans over and it looks relatively simple. I've built more complicated things than these. I was just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with this? Anyone seen any plans you like?

G

guest123

Hi Kaotic,

row? sail? small outbard? What is the intended primary use?

shaunmulok

Don't drink and drive home, Smoke dope and fly hom
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How are you going to bend the planks do you have a steam bath for the length of the wooden planks
I have seen several boats built on small and large scale(16foot-120feet cray boats) it a challenge but i would like to tackle it myself
Good luck

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
interesting thought amigo, just the other day i was driving and i looked in a drive way and the dude had a rowboat type boat made of a wooden inner frame made 2"x2" and 1/4" plywood. i was astounded. the boat looked thorougly used and a few years old so clearly it was sea worthy. please post pics if you decide to do it.

NOKUY

Veteran
redneck_bass_boat.jpg

NOKUY

Veteran
on a serious note bro....

...i read about this in 'alaska magazine'

wrote and emailed them prolly 50 times to get the small article...they never even responded to say they couldent....and it wasnt all that old ...like '99ish

anyway dude built a beautiful mahogany canoe....dropped it in the river in new york, and paddled and portaged all the way to alaska, and to the yukon river....then to the bering sea.

...whole trip he planned his routes and portages using old trapping maps.

im gonna look again for that story

there was a guy who built a badass mahogany canoe

The key to a home built boat is a good life preserver. I think Confucius said that... Confucius or Andy Dick, one of the two.

alaskan

Me and a friend found some pallets suspended on insulating foam/soda bottles while fishing...
This time out to this pond, the raft was floating about 40' from us, and I spent about an hour trying to cast onto/over it to bring it towards me.
I finally got it, reeled it in, rode it for a while, and still didn't catch anything.

raft1.jpg

raft2.jpg