What's new

Hollow stems or not?

HOT CARGO

The Best Is Yet To Come
Veteran
can any one answer my question. this is kind of add. but i like to know if there is a difference in this.
i did little dif things on my last grow and i notice something. after i take down the plants usually the stems are hollow . well this last grow i did , none of the stems were hollow.
so my question will be do different strains grow dif stems or is this do to how you grow it?

show me your stems hahaha

peace

HC

G

I've seen what you are talking about. I am pretty sure that they are supposed to have hollow stems, read up on some plant anatomy :cool:

G

hollows

hollows

thicker will alwyas be better thats wat ive been told

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The older the wood the more hollow. Strain is also bound to have some great influence as well...

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i remember huge skunk and warp plants in the late 80's, and one kind wasnt hollow hardly at all if at all, but the other was big time.

Chronage

Scholastic Warrior
Last harvest I made one of the main stems off my plants into a bowl, it wasn't fantastic or anything, but I've smoked out of a wooden pipe and I figured it'd be cool to try smoking out of a basically wood feeling pipe that was a plant stem, full flavor to say the least :D.

HOT CARGO

The Best Is Yet To Come
Veteran
thanks guys

yeah i guess many things can cause that.i think is the strain that makes the difference. the ones with the solid stems the buds after cure were very hard,rock hard. hollow stem soft buds.
haha is this makes seance or im out of my mind.

peace

HC

teddynugent

From my experience and everything I've read, you want hollow stems. The stems are what take up the nutrients, so if they only have tiny little holes, they won't be able to take up nearly as much nutrients. The more hollow the stem, the better the nutrients flow. It depends on your grow as to how hollow your stems will be. I never really noticed too much of a difference between strains, but never paid a whole lot of attention to it. From my experience, your water source, amount and type of nutrients and grow medium determine what you stems will look like. If you using plain tap water, and too much nutrients and never flush, your going to get build-up. Kinda like how our diet affects our arteries. You eat a bunch of crap, your arteries get all plugged up. That's kinda the way I look at it anyways.

From my experience (I grow aeroponics), if I use RO water and the right nutrient formula, change out my water at least once every 2 weeks, and provide good growing conditions I almost always have very hollow stems no matter what strain it is. I also usually flush with clearex bewteen veg and bloom, and at the end of bloom, and I sometimes will run plain water through the system for a day,or sometimes more, periodically through out the grow. My plants seem to like it, so I keep doing it. This is what works for me. I'd like to hear some more methods and opinions though.

I havn't put much thought into potency - hollow stem vs solid stem,
but....all plants take up water/nutes in a wick-like-system through the fibers that are in the stem. Plants do not have pumps. A small amount will follow up the stem if the hollowness is not really great.
The faster the plant grows/stretchs late in veg/early in flower the greater the degree of hollowness. ( as the plant matures/dies it stops building fiber and hollowness will increase, as the existing fibers shrink, which increases hollowness. )
This is true on all plants, from lawn grass to trees, ( with trees it is more the density of the woodfibers, though there are some trees that really grow hollow ).

peace

Last edited: