What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Highly potent weed creating marijuana addicts worldwide, study says

plutiot

I was trying to make a point that most medicines used to treat life-long conditions are not considered 'addicting'...as long as there is no 'happiness' involved. If happiness is involved, it seems that a substance (or activity...or inactivity, ha) is often considered 'addictive'.

My personal idea of what 'addictive' means...is that more and more is needed until it kills the user. Can Cannabis concentrates get so strong as to kill folks?
no no, i mentioned this to someone here: i wonder how well the different compounds would work as preservatives. imagine dead pharoes dunked in sarcofagouses of kief..

armedoldhippy

Veteran
actually, not an old geezer
being old isn't what makes you stupid. being stupid is what makes you stupid. but, you knew that...:good:
Type 2 diabetes is totally and completely reversible (if done before decades of insulin abuse) through food choices.
i changed my diet (fasting mid-day) and lost nearly thirty pounds, and my A1C dropped from 8.3 to 6.3 within 2 months. last time i saw my MD, it was down to 6. have halved my blood sugar medication now, from two tiny pills a day to one. feet (diabetic neuropathy) no longer hurt as bad, and i'm sleeping better too...:tiphat:

plutiot

being old isn't what makes you stupid. being stupid is what makes you stupid. but, you knew that...:good:

i changed my diet (fasting mid-day) and lost nearly thirty pounds, and my A1C dropped from 8.3 to 6.3 within 2 months. last time i saw my MD, it was down to 6. have halved my blood sugar medication now, from two tiny pills a day to one. feet (diabetic neuropathy) no longer hurt as bad, and i'm sleeping better too...:tiphat:
My grandma did this, she studied dietary shits for many years and ate her way out of diabetes..

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran

Highly potent weed creating marijuana addicts worldwide, study says​

Higher concentrations of tetrahydrocannabinol or THC -- the part of the marijuana plant that makes you high -- are causing more people to become addicted in many parts of the world, a new review of studies found.

Compared with people who use lower-potency products (typically 5 to 10 milligrams per gram of THC), those who use higher-potency cannabis are more likely to experience addiction and mental health outcomes, according to the study published Monday in the journal Lancet Psychiatry.

Scientists have established a "standard THC unit" of 5 milligrams of THC for research. That amount is said to produce a mild intoxication for nonregular users.
"One of the highest quality studies included in our publication found that use of high potency cannabis, compared to low potency cannabis, was linked to a four-fold increased risk of addiction," said study coauthor Tom Freeman, a senior lecturer in the department of psychology and director of the addiction and mental health group at the University of Bath in the United Kingdom, in an email.

In the United States, about 3 in 10 people who use marijuana have cannabis use disorder, the medical term for marijuana addiction, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease and Prevention.

The European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction found a 76% rise in people entering treatment for cannabis addiction over the past decade, "while cannabis potency continued to rise during the same time," Freeman said.

In addition, "a report by the United Nations found that in the past two decades, the proportion of people seeking treatment for cannabis addiction has risen in all world regions apart from Africa," he said.

A YEARLY RISE IN POTENCY​

In a gram of herbal cannabis, the dried and harvested tops of female marijuana plants that are typically smoked, THC concentrations increased by approximately 2.9 milligrams each year, according to a 2020 study by Freeman and his team at the University of Bath.

In cannabis resin, the sticky brown sap on the plant from which extracts and concentrations are made, THC levels increased by approximately 5.7 milligrams each year from 1975 to 2017, the study found. Concentrated products can reach extremely high levels of THC.

This yearly rise in potency may not be clear to consumers, experts fear. While looking at a product label might tell a person the "precise potency" of THC in a store where marijuana is legally sold, "people buying cannabis illegally may not be able to access reliable information about the potency of the product they are using," Freeman said.

"However, certain types of cannabis are typically more potent than others -- cannabis extracts are typically more potent than cannabis flower," he added.

While people do try to adjust their consumption when the potency of their cannabis varies, "such as by adding less cannabis to their joint or inhaling less deeply," these efforts fail to completely work, Freeman said. That means "higher potency products still deliver a larger dose of THC to consumers than lower potency products," he said.

Gee a NARC named Tom is sure cannabis is harmful, just as the Nazis were sure Jews were harmful Same shit different day. BTW if you want people to honest in thier research maybe its a bad ideal to trust someone who's job is on the line. Just another fucking moron that thinks its ok to have a beer but never take a shot. File this under reefer madness two "don't smoke cannabis because it might be harmful". Fact check Tom you piece of shit its because of people like you that most people don't know that no one has ever died from cannabis! 7 Million die from tobacco and 3 Million from alcohol each year but cannabis that has never been the cause of death is the real issue right? Fucking moron. Like I said Tom narcs like you cause far more harm and death then all illicit drug use "500,000 people die mostly from toxic supplies". Yes Tom you cause the deaths of millions of people because you are a fucking moron trying to force your ideology on to everyone rather then understanding the relative dangers all drugs have including coffee. Tom your either too fucking arrogant or stupid "FYI I've met people who have thier PHD but still believe that the earth is flat" to understand that prohibition causes far more harm then illicit drugs.
no shit sherlock, same goes with booze, sex and sports, what's your point?

EDIT: impersonal "you"

420empire

Veteran
This is really funny how these studies keep comming. Are these guys just bored or do they have great friends in the booze industry or what the heck is going on here .. haha just smoke less, it´s not that difficult. ;)