What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HID lighting. Turn on/off and on again.

Hey everone!

As a final safety measure I'm considering a thermostat to turn off the HID light if the temps rise too high.

Ive noticed that if I turn off the HID light, it needs to be off for a while b4 it will reignite. WHY IS THAT?

The thermostat most likely wouldn't be activated or affect the grow ( lights on/off/on) w/o a serious problem. I'm just curious about the light.

If you notice, it takes a few minutes for your light to fully charge. It also has to cool down when turned off before it will recharge.

I won't go into Tech. detail, but it is part safety measure, and it also prolongs the life of the bulb. ( the heating of the gas vapour creates the intensity of the light. )

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
yes ive always wondered this to quite intresting when i first got mine and accidentally unplugged it and plugged it back in it looked like lighting was in the miniature little tube thing and i thought i broke it

G

I blew a capacitor from turning a light on right away, actually twice in a row. There was a short in my timer and didn't know it.

causeway

it needs to cycle before it can light up agian.instant restrike lamps are available through philips :D

Last edited:

HyGradeChronic

relays will help yas!!!!!

relays will help yas!!!!!

..... hi guyz n gurlz!!!!! look into relay sysystems. green air has some out there. this way, ALL YER LIGHTS are controlled from the relay, thus using only one timer. also, i pretty sure these relays have a TIME DELAY RESTART system built into them for safety. the 400's will restart tout suite, but the 1000's wont. baaaaad juju for your equip in one those quick power outages ya get from time to time. hope that helpos ya. sume "guru" or "wizeguy" can elaborate...:p
..... peace
..... HGC

twistone

You might consider setting up an extra exhaust fan to your thermostat instead of your light. Would'nt be so hard on your light and your plants light cycle would'nt be affected..

Nexsus6

Green air..

Green air..

does make a great controller but I'm not sure about the time retard function. I have my lights on a system that monitors constant input voltage...If there is a power down the unit will not allow refire of lamps until constant voltage is returned for 7-10 minutes..In my area power drops can be 1-3 minutes at the low end...Longer drops are ok as your gear has cooled enough.
Stay safe
Nexsus

HyGradeChronic

HEY...

HEY...

..... nexus you ryte about letting ballasts cool down b4 restarts. if they not get the tyme to chill, you gonna be buying new ballasts and lights on a regular basis. which can DRAMATICLY RAISE yer costs of doin' biz. no bueno!!!!!:cool:
..... i KNOW that there is a relay/controller out there that DOES have a delay built in, just can't remember WHO makes it. i'll ck w/dewd what gave me the link for it in the first place and i'll post the info right here in this very thread for y'all...:p
..... peace
..... HGC

HyGradeChronic

THAT'LL WERK OUT FINE...

THAT'LL WERK OUT FINE...

..... thanx much for posting that link for all us puppetmug. those are reliable and cheap. but, i was thinking about one reaper linked me to. it could do 10k HID lights. not sure what amp rating was, but i know it had tyme delay restart built into relay. and boi oh boi, will it gobble up yer allowance. true story... :p
..... peace
..... HGC