What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HGL XB70 vs DIY Strip Light

SuperBadGrower

side-uniformity.jpg

Nuff said right there. look at the edge plants. Purple they are bent and reaching for light and onthe DIY the leaves are pointing up because the light is uniform and diffuse.

edit: Hmm, looking at the setup, it might be a bitch to do but have you considered spacing out those 3 HGLs a bit? Moving the 2 outer boards towards the sides will even out the light. I can foresee a rather big difference between the results from the middle and the edges @ the purp side

Last edited:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
View attachment 533602

Nuff said right there. look at the edge plants. Purple they are bent and reaching for light and onthe DIY the leaves are pointing up because the light is uniform and diffuse.

You are spot on!

Might be the fact I did a shitty job on hanging the lights, as they are hung very much centered.

For the next grow, I will have to hang the lights with a little space between them.

Also it's a mix of different phenos, from the same strain. The edge clones compared, might very well come from two different moms.

So im still waiting to compare the crops, and do a 2nd test with a mono crop to do be more solid.

SuperBadGrower

You are spot on!

Might be the fact I did a shitty job on hanging the lights, but as they are hung very much centered.

Yeah I snuck in a ninja edit about that too hehe. Taking into account
they are different phenos, I dont wanna be too hasty, but it does look kinda typical to me. the RGB seem to be producing the longer internodes

I notice that the leaf size doesn't seem bigger. Do you notice a difference? I assume the RGB has a lower B:R ratio, and also a higher % of far red. The longer internodes may be a result of that, but it can also be due to a difference in intensity.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I don't know all the RGB % numbers, to be honest I don't neerd it that hard.
I just got into LED when I got back at growing, with intentions to use it for veg and flower under HPS. As that's what I used to use and back then, thats what is best bla bla bla old stoner stuck in his ways LOL

Brought cheap china LED strips on Ebay, and that worked fine for veg and for fun I tried flowering under it as well. To my surprice it did just as well as my HPS, and I had to try some strips with quality chips.
So I found thouse TCI strips, with Samsung LM561b chips and some decent grow pics from ppl flowering under them.

I spend about 800$ building 6 strip lights for my 6 cabinets, so comparing that to 600$ worth of HGL lighs in one cabinet. Also my strip lights are only running 500 mA(900 mA MAX), with a differet driver they could put out much more light.

I was gifted the HGL lights to test them, they look cool and so far they look a bit like they might make more trichomes.

techattack

They both look great. The top cabinet looked better some week ago but now its clearly that the streched more and i think the ones on the lower cabinet looks more consistant. Those are the diy lights u made right? How much wattage? (i know i find the info on the Previous pages) its a great side by side experiment.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Thanks techattack, I guess we can refresh that after 10-11 pages of daily pictures :D

3x 70 Watt HGL = 210 Watt Unicorn Power

9x 23 Watt Strips = 207 Watt ~ DIY

techattack

OK. I am considering all lights and stuff. I am used to the hps, currently i am no 400w,but i also need a veg room and if i can change the hps for leds would be great too.

techattack

OK. I am considering all lights and stuff. I am used to the hps, currently i am on 400w,but i also need a veg room and if i can change the hps for leds would be great too.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Flowerday 44

Flowerday 44

Unless you really need the heat from a HID light, id say LED is the way to go.
The CMH 315's looks really promissing as well, but for my setup of stacked cabs, LED is the only option.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Flowerday 47

Flowerday 47

Gave them another feeding today, might give them another one on day 49 and then do tap water only up to harvest.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
closing in... what u got here? 10-12 more days bro?
u excited by ur results?

what have you learned about your 2 light systems so far?
what would u do different next round in this cabset?
any notes for us?

Palindrome

King of Schwag
closing in... what u got here? 10-12 more days bro?
u excited by ur results?

what have you learned about your 2 light systems so far?
what would u do different next round in this cabset?
any notes for us?

Im thinking more in the range of 2-2½ week, if I can keep them mold free.
Still got to mount fan's in these cabinets, to prevent stale air between the plants and force the hot and dryer air downward.

So far id say the uniformity of the DIY strips is a plus, but as mentioned before it might be the clones not the light.
Next run I might try and veg the plants a bit, and have fewer clones in each cabinet.

Also have to correct the hanging of the HGL lights, get them hanging evenly and spread them a little apart.

Made a new batch of clones today, mainly for the right side cabinets. But if I veg them, I might have enough to fill all 6 cabinets once I havest these.

Latest posts

Latest posts