What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HGL XB70 vs DIY Strip Light

Palindrome

King of Schwag
All right to start this off, welcome to this side by side test.

I was gifted the HGL lights to do a comparison grow, it's been a long wait as I have had a bit of a cool down periode.

The cabinets are identical, in size and everything else but the lights.
All details on the cabinets can be found here

My own lights are DIY strip lights, with Samsung LM561b chips of Ebay. Mix of 3500 & 4000K strips, total 207 watt in each cabinet.

To match this I installed 3x HGL XB70's, as thats 210 watt and the 3 watt's.
Well they are not, whats gonna make a difference if anything.

Data on the light and spectrums.

Now all we need is some clones and this will be rolling.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Boom!

Okay im not a soil grower, now you have all been warned. The cabinets, where made for hydro and the right side is atm running hydro as normal.
This time tho, I felt like I wanted to try something else.
So I got some cheap bags of organic soil, filled 132 square pots with soil and have now transplanted the clones.

There is a batch of male clones inbetween, it's not showing under 18/6 light.
Once they have been located and sorted out, I will devide the clones out and take the 3rd cabinet in use.

q3corn

Well first of all I love how your cabinets are built, and having 3 stacked is such a good idea. Now I want that!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Well first of all I love how your cabinets are built, and having 3 stacked is such a good idea. Now I want that!

Thanks mate, it seemed like the most logic way to benefit from the low heat. Maximizing the use of space and eleminate veggin, I have never been a fan of veggin and growing tall plants with long naked "legs".

No veg, just 12/12 from clone. Yes each plant will not yeald much, but all put together they will do just fine.
Over all the total crop might be smaller, then if I gave them a bit of veg time. But the lag of veg, gives the option of an extra harvest and that will tip the scale in favor of SOG.

Im happy with my 3 tier setup, I can only encourange others to start thinking about stacking their grows. :biggrin:

Not much to update with, it's the 2nd day of flowering.
Everything still looks alive!

I should prolly clean up the folia a bit, remove the dead fan leafs.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
:good::lurk: As usual best of luck :tiphat:

Thank you DarkSider, this is gonna be fun to try out soil growing.
I know there is lot's to soil growing, organic nutes, teas and what not.

Im not doing that, not yet at least but I really think it's interresting. But sure seems like a lot of work, to make/brew all thouse fermented things. Might be fun work tho!

First goal ... try not to kill them! :biggrin:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:lurk:

My recent flowers with the HGLED, I know you've seen already. Very curious to see them compared side by side with white LEDs. :joint:

dank.Frank

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Welcome everyone, I hope this will be an interresting show :)

Flower day 3

I removed a lot of the dead leafs, cleaning them up a bit.
Besides that I folia fed them with Biobizz Fish-mix, 1½ ml per Liter ratio.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Flower day 4

Flower day 4

Just a short picture update, I will try and get a daily shot done everyday before I go to bed.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Flower day 7

Flower day 7

From the looks of things, the male clones are the M8's.
Prolly the best looking ones, in the upper right cabinet.

Still very early, but looks like tiny make flowers are developing.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Flower day 8

Flower day 8

Today I removed the suspected males, moved 10 clones from the middle tier to the top tier.

Won't be long before they will be sorted out, im placing 36 clones on each tier under the ~ 200 Watt lights.
Aiming for minimum 5.5 gram per plant, anything over will be a nice bonus.

Latest posts

Latest posts