What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hey, let's build budget desktop vaporiser together!

Piecho

Hey,
For resonable price ~8$ we are getting precisely regulated 80w ceramic heater that you can just plug to your wall. For example - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002524295445.html

Would be great if design would fit to vaporate micro doses of bubble hash, but 0.1-0.2 flower as well.
I was thinking about using glass vapour path with glass balls. If you could just put the ceramic heater in the beginning of the airflow. Next put the balls, metal mesh closing the structure. Next comes the second piece of glass with metal mesh on top. There you put your vape of desire. Air comes through the top, hitting the heater, balls, chamber and your bong or lungs.

This is just an initial idea, I will try spend some time tomorrow to find pieces of glass that would make sense.

Are there any designs that uses similar types of the heater? Any ideas are welcome!

Would like to keep the topic as a creative engineering brainstorm where at the end we can all benefit from some new open source project tried and polished by many. Low price, simple design and possibility to access also rest of the parts to build by as many as possible : )

Last edited:

Veritas629

This sounds fun! I have a couple desktop vapes (Old Head Freight Train, SSV), but love building things anyway. A couple ideas.

First, instead of "glass" beads, synthetic rubies could be used. Same beads are often used in a dab banger as Terp Pearls. Or titanium beads like OHFT or Flowerpot.

Second idea, put the heater rod directly into the beads or into the beads with a sheaf-like glass tube. Glass tube would have a slight air gap around the heater rod. Either way, the heater would directly heat the beads and keep them at the chosen temp. My theory, only theory and open to constructive critique, is that putting the heater BEFORE the beads would be less efficient and possibly require a longer draw. Heater Before heats the inflow air, this hot air then heats the beads, and the hot bead air then heats the hash/flower. Heater In Beads skips a whole stage.

Piecho

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230921-082442_DrawNote~2.png
    Screenshot_20230921-082442_DrawNote~2.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Veritas629

Yep, that is exactly what I mean. Also, love the art!

If you are not familiar with the Silver Surfer vape, give it a google. It has a heat rod and pulls air over the rod, then the hot air continues onward over the flower. But, over time people have dreamed up modifications to improve it. One is adding titanium beads like your drawing. It creates a heat sink that stores up the heat between puffs. This does a few things. As you inhale the temp stays relatively steady, rather than dropping. Also, it allows you to turn down the heater power a bit, which might be useful when using a low power soldering iron. It uses the same principals as the ball heater vapes (e.g. Freight Train, Flowerpot)

Piecho

I decided to go with this glass where I imagine mounting ceramic heating element from the soldering iron inside 6mm glass balls I posted before. All could be mount to glass female 18mm filter.

I have soldering iron with ceramic heater to try, it it will be not power enough heatgun also seems like a good .

I could use also stainless steel balls, there are multiple diameters to try:

Want to try 6mm glass first to have any comparison with my setup.