What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hernia

Smokerman

Veteran
So I’ve had this inguinal/incisional hernia going on 2 years now. It was the size of a grape now it’s the size of a baseball and somewhat uncomfortable.
It’s the second one in the same area. First one was fixed a few years ago but now because of the constant cutting in the same area from the vascular surgeon a second one sorta happened.
Had pre op on Thursday and surgery is this coming Thursday the 22nd at a hospital that I really, really don’t like and definitely do not want to have surgery at. Unfortunately I have no say in the matter at all.
The surgeon is all freaked out about my heart issues and had me do numerous tests that I just had done for a different dr which kinda just pissed me off.
So the surgeon and I are already butting heads.
I can’t shake this bad feeling I have about this week and as it gets closer my anxiety gets worse.
And yes I know hernia surgery is fuck all, but that doesn’t help the anxiety. Even the anaesthesia dr gave me some weird vibes the other day.

troutman

Seed Whore
I had to get a Hernia repair surgery 3 years ago. It sucked but it had to get done.
Guess, this is what happens when you haul about 50 bags of soil, manure, etc to
a guerilla patch about 1/2 km away from the main road at night using a wagon
and back power.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh boy. I had a colon resection which seems to be in the same area and maybe a hernia is my next fun in the o.r. o_O

Sweatloaf

I put off a hernia surgery for far too long; years. I'm very glad I finally decided to get it fixed because it limited my life for those years. I know the exact moment when the hernia started: I was getting ready to change one of our kids' diapers. I had the changing blanket laid out on the bedroom carpeted floor. I was kneeling and had the little guy in my arms. I bent over at the waist to set the little guy down on the blanket. While I was still holding him and bending down to set him down...I sneezed. That was it. Hello hernia. I probably had a weakness in that abdominal wall maybe forever, but that sent it over the edge.

oldmaninbc

I put off a hernia surgery for far too long; years. I'm very glad I finally decided to get it fixed because it limited my life for those years. I know the exact moment when the hernia started: I was getting ready to change one of our kids' diapers. I had the changing blanket laid out on the bedroom carpeted floor. I was kneeling and had the little guy in my arms. I bent over at the waist to set the little guy down on the blanket. While I was still holding him and bending down to set him down...I sneezed. That was it. Hello hernia. I probably had a weakness in that abdominal wall maybe forever, but that sent it over the edge.
Hello , getting your hernia fixed I have to agree is a good idea. I couldn't imagine living with a hernia, especially with children.
I am waiting on hernia surgery, probably another 4 months or so. When I went to the surgeon I found out I had two hernias. The hernia belt has been my saviour. Hope you get your surgery sooner than later.

Sweatloaf

Hello , getting your hernia fixed I have to agree is a good idea. I couldn't imagine living with a hernia, especially with children.
I am waiting on hernia surgery, probably another 4 months or so. When I went to the surgeon I found out I had two hernias. The hernia belt has been my saviour. Hope you get your surgery sooner than later.

I got my surgery taken care of a number of years ago and have been fine ever since. It was worth its weight in gold just to be able to lift things and do manual labor around the homestead.

Sweatloaf

How long did your recovery take?
Surgery was outpatient. The first few days were a bit harsh after the pain meds wore off. I'm not an Rx pain meds kind of person so I toughed it out with Ibuprophen. First few pisses at home after the surgery were unexpectedly rough because of the urinary catheter during the surgery. But by the next day that wasn't bad. Overall recovery? Feeling decent after a week from what I recall. Nothing other than lifting/weight was restricted after a few days.