What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Here's a little clone box I made

kamyo

Veteran
PXL_20220605_015332058.jpg

The idea originally started as a pollen collection device ("The Man Cave"), but I decided to start with something a little simpler with more versatility.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about 3d printing or electrical stuff. I realize that white PLA probably wasn't the best choice, but it's what I had.

It's a small 3d printed box 5"x8" (.28sqft) about 10 inches tall. Current design uses a slide-in front cover for quick access to the cuts.

Cuttings sit in some 3d printed cubes that can fit a root riot (or whatever brand) plug. Cubes can hold a bit extra water as the cutting may require.

Lighting is currently at about 1 watt (I think). 2 ~90mA USB led modules at 5v, whatever that ends up being. Main reason for this is that I'm not familiar enough with circuits to do something that would use its own power supply and I'm limited with what I can pull off the USB ports. Still, it'll be fun to see what I can get away with using. Can always add more.

The controller is the raspberry pi. Currently runs a python script on startup that just runs a loop every n seconds and checks to see if the lights need to be turned on or off. The on/off times are defined in the script config. Eventually, I could add other cool shit to this. Maybe adjust the fan if temp/humidity gets a little too nuts.

Anyway, it's always a work in progress. She's not perfect, but it's a fun project. I'm actually really loving these clone cubes. I ran a CBG Hash Fruit cutting in one in my veg tent (which has humidity way lower than it should be) and she did fine. I think having the small res helps. Like being in a cup of water, sort of. No droopage, which was a big concern I had.

Edit: forgot to mention that the humidity sits around 80 (give or take a few degrees) and the temperature is pretty close to the room temp. Maybe a degree warmer, but it's pretty negligible.

Last edited:

pjlive

The idea originally started as a pollen collection device ("The Man Cave"), but I decided to start with something a little simpler with more versatility.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about 3d printing or electrical stuff. I realize that white PLA probably wasn't the best choice, but it's what I had.

It's a small 3d printed box 5"x8" (.28sqft) about 10 inches tall. Current design uses a slide-in front cover for quick access to the cuts.

Cuttings sit in some 3d printed cubes that can fit a root riot (or whatever brand) plug. Cubes can hold a bit extra water as the cutting may require.

Lighting is currently at about 1 watt (I think). 2 ~90mA USB led modules at 5v, whatever that ends up being. Main reason for this is that I'm not familiar enough with circuits to do something that would use its own power supply and I'm limited with what I can pull off the USB ports. Still, it'll be fun to see what I can get away with using. Can always add more.

The controller is the raspberry pi. Currently runs a python script on startup that just runs a loop every n seconds and checks to see if the lights need to be turned on or off. The on/off times are defined in the script config. Eventually, I could add other cool shit to this. Maybe adjust the fan if temp/humidity gets a little too nuts.

Anyway, it's always a work in progress. She's not perfect, but it's a fun project. I'm actually really loving these clone cubes. I ran a CBG Hash Fruit cutting in one in my veg tent (which has humidity way lower than it should be) and she did fine. I think having the small res helps. Like being in a cup of water, sort of. No droopage, which was a big concern I had.

Edit: forgot to mention that the humidity sits around 80 (give or take a few degrees) and the temperature is pretty close to the room temp. Maybe a degree warmer, but it's pretty negligible.
Excellent. Very nice use of a Raspberry Pi, too!

kamyo

Veteran
Here's an update on what it's become in the past year or so.

Currently runs off of USB with a 1 watt LED. Internal dimensions are about 7 inches x 7 inches, 10 inches tall. I've put a few hundred cuts through this box (in various versions of development), and I'm really enjoying it.

I don't really grow enough to need a full try of clones, but do need to do 10-20 at any given time. Sits next to my seed fridge on a table.
PXL_20230823_035409377.jpg
PXL_20230823_035342740.jpg
PXL_20230825_092924611.jpg
PXL_20230823_023816373.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts