What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hemp Jobs (VA)

X15

Looking for information related to Job Opportunities in the Hemp or Cannabis industries of Virginia.
Been searching around but haven’t been able to find much info.
I have a wonderful opportunity to move to VA (from CA) at the end of this year and was just curious how the employment is out there in the Hemp Production world. In all honesty I don’t know much about VA but the thought of being able to experience life outside of CA has me smitten. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Looking for information related to Job Opportunities in the Hemp or Cannabis industries of Virginia.
Been searching around but haven’t been able to find much info.
I have a wonderful opportunity to move to VA (from CA) at the end of this year and was just curious how the employment is out there in the Hemp Production world. In all honesty I don’t know much about VA but the thought of being able to experience life outside of CA has me smitten. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
... can't says I blame you :good:

Reactions: X15

armedoldhippy

Veteran
in addition to hemp, VA has legalized recreational cannabis. recreational dispensaries "should" be opening in 2024, but they seem to be in no hurry to develop rules/regulations. (GOP retook one state house & governors office last election) you can grow your own already, but it is not clear exactly where you are supposed to purchase seeds or clones legally. nearly 47,000 medical patients registered, and several medical dispensaries are open nearby in Abingdon, but i don't know if they are selling seeds etc.

X15

in addition to hemp, VA has legalized recreational cannabis. recreational dispensaries "should" be opening in 2024, but they seem to be in no hurry to develop rules/regulations. (GOP retook one state house & governors office last election) you can grow your own already, but it is not clear exactly where you are supposed to purchase seeds or clones legally. nearly 47,000 medical patients registered, and several medical dispensaries are open nearby in Abingdon, but i don't know if they are selling seeds etc.
Thanks for that info! Ill be driving out there this October. I’m not going to be able to take much of my Equipment and I’m still not sure if Im going to mail anything or just pack it.. but I will be driving the whole way. Any advice?

oh the uncertainty lol.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Thanks for that info! Ill be driving out there this October. I’m not going to be able to take much of my Equipment and I’m still not sure if Im going to mail anything or just pack it.. but I will be driving the whole way. Any advice?

oh the uncertainty lol.
wipe everything down with alcohol. anything that a dog alerts on will get ugly. adhere to speed limits. in Virginia, tinting of windows WILL get you stopped, as will any decals on front/rear windows, and it is up to discretion of the officer if it "obstructs" your vision. good part- once you are in state, weed is legal, but don't burn one to celebrate when crossing the state line. driving while smoking is a no-no...

X15

wipe everything down with alcohol. anything that a dog alerts on will get ugly. adhere to speed limits. in Virginia, tinting of windows WILL get you stopped, as will any decals on front/rear windows, and it is up to discretion of the officer if it "obstructs" your vision. good part- once you are in state, weed is legal, but don't burn one to celebrate when crossing the state line. driving while smoking is a no-no.
thank You very much for that info! damn Just thinking about doing that gives me flash backs haha.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
thank You very much for that info! damn Just thinking about doing that gives me flash backs haha.
rode across the line with a son this evening. parked along cool little stream to burn one & watch the light fade...ride across the line now & then just to burn one legally. odd feeling. wish i didn't have to drive the three miles to be legal...fucking stupid.

Gry

Thought it was neat as can be that VA originally demanded all residents grow cannabis, it was the sole means by which taxes had to be paid.
Was a standard requirement in all ports of call areasused by the British, which VA was at the time.
Imagine it would have been similar in port of call areas for all the shipping nations.

X15

Thought it was neat as can be that VA originally demanded all residents grow cannabis, it was the sole means by which taxes had to be paid.
Was a standard requirement in all ports of call areasused by the British, which VA was at the time.
Imagine it would have been similar in port of call areas for all the shipping nations.
That’s so interesting.
I’m looking forward to learning the history back there. My grandfather and his family were all from VA and migrated west to CA for work around the same age as I am now.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
That’s so interesting.
I’m looking forward to learning the history back there. My grandfather and his family were all from VA and migrated west to CA for work around the same age as I am now.
legal weed, from sea to shining sea! still need to fill in a few gaps in between them, though...:shucks:

Reactions: X15

X15

I’ll be driving back with some family. The plan is to take our time and make stops to camp and hopefully do some fishing along the way. Have any suggestions on some neat places? @armedoldhippy

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I’ll be driving back with some family. The plan is to take our time and make stops to camp and hopefully do some fishing along the way. Have any suggestions on some neat places? @armedoldhippy
coming from California? i'd be sure to stop in Arkansas & do some fishing/decompress. the White River in northern part of state is beautiful and has world-class brown trout fishing. east from there, there are all kinds of small rivers in Tennessee with great smallmouth fishing, and several with resurgent musky fishing. here in east Tn, killer flyfishing for trout below Watauga & South Holston dams, some of the top trout water east of the Mississippi. get to the eastern end of the state going into Virginia, try the Mount Mitchell Recreation area. just for the hell of it, drive a bit out of your way & go through Abingdon & Damascus both. while in Abingdon, be sure to get a meal at The Pepper Mill in what would be downtown in a bigger city. also a very large vertically integrated cannabis business in Abingdon as well if you have a med card...no rec sales for another year or so.

X15

That’s great, thank you for that info @armedoldhippy ! Ill def check out Abingdon and Damascus. The Pepper Mill looks like a neat place, food looks right up alley! Visited friends in Iowa and Got to flip some lures in Utah and MO. Fishing was great in Utah although the reservoir levels were all extremely low, lower than I had imagined even coming from a state in disrepair. Nice trout! MO was incredibly beautiful but rained on and off.
Cant wait to check out some businesses!