What's new

Helpful Things To Know While Living Life...

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I'm sitting down with a 10" Italian sub sandwich, looking for something to drink with it, see that I have a bunch of cans of lime flavored seltzer water, but they are all warm. I crack one open, decide I don't want to drink it warm, so I get a glass with ice and pour it slowly into the glass.

As I watch the carbonated soda hit the ice and loose it's fizz I get to wondering if there is any way to prevent the seltzer from getting pretty damn flat. This has been a frustration for me for as long as I can remember, but the only thing I've ever done to prevent carbonation loss is to pour it slowly, which really doesn't work. This time I decide to google that shit and see if there is an answer.

Found the answer:

So, how to keep your fizzy drinks from out-fizzing themselves over ice?

Wet the cubes first.

Have you noticed that the fizz stays for a second round of drink if you refill your glass? That's because the beverage has smoothed out the microscopic surface of the ice, which means there are fewer nucleation sites. In other words, there are fewer places for the CO2 to cling and make bubbles. Or something something blah blah science.

So! Rinse your ice cubes with cold water, drain the water out (stick your hand over the top of the glass and strain it loosely through your fingers. No need to get fancy. Just don't let your company see), and then pour your beverage over those beautiful, cold cubes while preserving every last thirst-quenching bubble. Voila!

http://www.foodlushblog.com/2012/02/how-to-keep-the-fizz-in-your-drink-when-pouring-over-ice.html

picture.php

If you've got any other similar handy pieces of know-how (for instance, how to get gum out of your hair, etc) feel free to post them in this thread.

reefone

yes. I like my coke over ice. ive noticed the first pour of soda will fizz real bad and if u pour more not so bad and will not get that flat.

what I do is pour a little of my drink in the glass and swirl it around then drink it. this way u don't need to rinse the cubes first and the whole glass of soda isn't flat.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
when I make a gin and tonic ,,,I just pour the gin till it covers the cubes then add tonic...yeehaw...I don't really drink much soda

blastfrompast

Veteran
Add the rye before the mix...

Simple solution....

Life hack #2...If your glass is bubbling up pulling that volcano action....pour some booze in....it will immedietly pop all the bubbles in the foam....