What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with hot weather drying

Thighland

The daytime weather here is around 30 -32c and it's quite dry. My leaves on my harvested buds are crisp within a couple of days, the plants are drying to fast. I've moved some to a cupboard that will be more humid, not sure if it will help. Should I trim while the buds are a little wet and then put them in a sealed container, opening occasionally.

Any help is much appreciated.

Three Berries

I cut the branches and put them in garbage bags with a remote temp/humidity transmitter. Don't tie it up tight but try and keep the RH above 70%. Once they get near 70% I finish trimming and strip, then put that in some sort of open topped plastic container until they do hit 70%..

chronosync

Well-stoned member
My spot gets pretty dry in the winter time and I dry In a room that stays around 75f so its not ideal conditions as far as temps but Ive found that If i keep to a slow dry down (10-14 days) it turns out nice

I dry in a tent with a hum controller attached to an exhaust fan/filter. If its too dry in the tent I will put a tray of water on the tent floor with a fan blowing on it. I set the high bound to between 55-60 and low bound somewhere between 50-55. I try to use a tent that isnt too oversized for the harvest because the plants hanging will make up a lot of the RH in the space at first and during, and help regulate the dry down.

I use the controller display as well as a few hygrometers hanging with the branches and or on the floor to monitor levels.

Im not sure how I would try it if I didnt have the controller, so far this setup works pretty good so Ill keep using it as long as I can.

brickweeder

I like to hang the whole plant minus fan leaves in the tent and set the exhaust fan to on at 65% humidity...then 60% after about 5 days for a couple more days..then keep in bags and burp until stable 60% in a closed bag.

BrassNwood

Veteran
The daytime weather here is around 30 -32c and it's quite dry. My leaves on my harvested buds are crisp within a couple of days, the plants are drying to fast. I've moved some to a cupboard that will be more humid, not sure if it will help. Should I trim while the buds are a little wet and then put them in a sealed container, opening occasionally.

Trim seconds off the plant and only take down what you can trim before it starts to wilt.
Hang only until the smallest buds start to firm back up
Z Glove.jpg

Remove buds from branches and place in cut down doubled paper bags about 3 inches tall.
Stack bags of weed in a new clean trash can or other air snug container at night and leave exposed during the day.
Gradually reduce time exposed per day as the buds dry. Flip to a new bag or dig in and stir a few times a day to keep everything drying evenly. Your hands will tell you how things are doing. Dry and crunchy = back in the can. Wet and limp / soggy = needs more time exposed to that dry air.
At the end of 7 to 10 days you want to be at 65 % and then it is safe to jar for 60 days of cure with no burping needed as it is correctly dried.
Z Bags.jpg

I'm in Southern California and it never fails when I have a harvest hanging the humidity will drop to 9% and ruin everything I've got exposed in just hours. Below 55% and no cure can happen.
Z trashcan.jpg

Trash can lid and a 5 gallon bucket works for a single plant. You just have to watch close and limit exposure to that stone dry air. All us desert growers have the same damn issue with drying to fast. I ruined more harvests then i care to remember before I got this part ironed out and fool proof.

Last edited:

@peace

Hey man, I don't get the heat too bad without humidity where I am. In the winter it gets really dry though and I can get the same problem of crunchy buds. If the bud gets too dry I just throw a peel of some sort of fruit (I have used apple, lemon, and orange, whatever I am eating) for about 12 hours in a 1L jar. I have tried using boveda packs to rescue dried buds but it doesn't seem to work, they still seem harsh and green a couple months out. However if I use the peel and then add a humidity pack then the buds comes out pretty much the same as getting a proper dry down. Not as good, but almost.

1673977004854.png

This is some bud I had to rescue a couple of weeks ago because the tent where I like to dry down with a humidifier was occupied.

BrassNwood

Veteran
Hey man, I don't get the heat too bad without humidity where I am. In the winter it gets really dry though and I can get the same problem of crunchy buds. If the bud gets too dry I just throw a peel of some sort of fruit (I have used apple, lemon, and orange, whatever I am eating) for about 12 hours in a 1L jar. I have tried using boveda packs to rescue dried buds but it doesn't seem to work, they still seem harsh and green a couple months out. However if I use the peel and then add a humidity pack then the buds comes out pretty much the same as getting a proper dry down. Not as good, but almost.

View attachment 18802664

This is some bud I had to rescue a couple of weeks ago because the tent where I like to dry down with a humidifier was occupied.
Just wet your fingers in Tap water and flick some into the Jar. Food can introduce unwanted bacteria into the environment. A small twist of Wet paper towel is better then Food.

@peace

Just wet your fingers in Tap water and flick some into the Jar. Food can introduce unwanted bacteria into the environment. A small twist of Wet paper towel is better then Food.
If I was that worried about bacteria then I don't think I would use my hands to be flicking water in my jar. I know where my hands have been lol. It all works though, some way of getting moisture in the jar.

Latest posts

Latest posts