What's new

help needed new macro lens

C

cheesey

im useing a nikon d60 and just got the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro

but having problems with it as ive never used a macro lens before ,
im useing the stock flash whats on the d60 but getting shaddows at the bottom of the photos due to the lens being so big i guess .

heres a test shot the lens was all the way out . and i was around 18cm away from the bud .

surely this lens gets closer photos than the test photo ????

cheers ukc

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cheesy I have this lens. If you Zoom in all the way, 70mm, then manual focus, move as close as you can to the bud to get it in focus. I don't use flash for most of my macro work as you will have trouble with shadowing. Remove the sun shade if you haven't for any close up work and when using flash. I suggest to find a direct sunlight place where you can place the bud in the sun and not have the lens shade it. Good luck...I look forward to watching you get better with this lens. DD

C

cheesey

Cheesy I have this lens. If you Zoom in all the way, 70mm, then manual focus, move as close as you can to the bud to get it in focus. I don't use flash for most of my macro work as you will have trouble with shadowing. Remove the sun shade if you haven't for any close up work and when using flash. I suggest to find a direct sunlight place where you can place the bud in the sun and not have the lens shade it. Good luck...I look forward to watching you get better with this lens. DD

thanks mate i was going to pm you . any chance when u get a min u can post some macros with no flash so i know what to aim for .

cheers bro . what do u rate this lens ?? out of 10 ?

C

cheesey

still with flash cant work out how to turn it off lol .
manual focus and around 20cm from the bud

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cheesy..in 3 pages of this album https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=13402 there are images that are labled 17/70 in thier names. They are with this lens. But..I can't tell you wich are in natural lighting only. I also use two 200 watt daylight bulbs. I just have to many pix, use to many differing lenses, and set ups, to find you exactly what you're looking for. The flash can be turned of..use the Manual setting and that should keep it from popping up. Macros are tough my friend..you'll get it but it is a learning process. DD

edit: Dutchgrown has a thread where macros are being discussed a lot here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3789746#post3789746

C

cheesey

thanks again . what camera do you use ? i should be getting photos close too yours wirth my nikon d60 and this lens ???
i will buy a sigma flash ring in a cpl of weeks will be easyer then .
also do you use photoshop after you have took the photos like some do on here ?

C

cheesey

no flash took in my small tent with a 125w blue enviro

lens 3cm away on manual . photo cropped no tripod took by hand

getting better ???

i think i need to sort out my lighting . b4 i try and sus out the lens . and get a tripod aswell

Ramius

Veteran
It looks like your compressing the images to a low quality jpeg?

How sharp and clear do they look before you crop and save them?

You need better lighting too as said above

C

cheesey

It looks like your compressing the images to a low quality jpeg?

How sharp and clear do they before before you crop and save them?

You need better lighting too as said above

yep thats what im thinking , the photo is pritty clean b4 i crop it .ill have a play about tomorrow with it . and maybe try get a flash ring and tripod sooner .

Ramius

Veteran
Open the image from your memory card in Photoshop and save as jpg with 100% quality after you have cropped/resized the image do what you want it

Microsoft Windows Live Photo Gallery is gash heh

C

cheesey

Open the image from your memory card in Photoshop and save as jpg with 100% quality

Microsoft Windows Live Photo Gallery is gash heh

i havnt got photoshop. useing windows live lol . i will try get a copy of ps . what 1 do i need ?