What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HELP!!!! Hail damage.

orion6324

So last night we had a hail storm come through. The most violent I've ever seen. My plants were caged and staked so they didn't fall over, but. The hail was so hard it stripped 75-80% of the leaves off of them. It's about 2 weeks away from flower. Are they going to be ok? They are still upright and growing, just not many leaves at all. I've never heard of this before and hoping someone has seen this. Thanks ahead of time.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Try watering in a little Kelp supplement. Since my plants over here are not too much flowering yet, I would try foliar spraying as well. Kelp is really healing for plants. A few years ago hail came through my garden and got 1/4 the leaves off. I'm sure it messed with the yield some, but otherwise I did get a crop.

orion6324

Thanks for the reply man. You said yours had a 1/4 of the leaves knocked off. Mine are at about 70-80% gone. This was going to be my best crop ever too. I'm so bummed! Hoping someone else can chime in with a similar story and boost my spirits

MedResearcher

Veteran
I remove my fans manually. Its a debatable topic. I like the light to penetrate into the canopy and hit all of the flower sites. As well the extra air circulation is helpful.

Should be fine, I bet you get really solid flowers... weather permitting!

Mr^^

al70

Veteran
they'll be ok, i striip my plants to the bone before i flip to flower, goodluck.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
It's probably too late in the year to start outside again. Do you ever grow indoors under the big lights? Anyway Cannabis is weed so it will probably pull through as it grows hardy outside. As above said it will make trimming easy for you.

therevverend

Veteran
Oh boy that's a bad one. This may be a time when having them tied and staked made it worse. If they could bend and fall over the hail might have deflected or been blocked by the mass of leaves and plants.
One time I had 60 mile an hour winds right after a drenching rain storm. The flowers were so wet and heavy the wind snapped the stalks even though I had them staked up. The ones that pulled up the stakes and fell over were in better shape then the ones I had solidly staked. The staked ones leaves acted like an umbrella in the wind, pushing the wet and heavy branches up and snapping them. Storms are terrible.
It's early enough in flowering that you'll be fine. It might reduce your crop by 20% but not more then that. In a week things will look a lot better. There's still over a month left.
Kelp is a great idea seaweed is good stuff. I'd say calcium and magnesium, epsom salts, but that's why kelp is good, usually has that.

PDX Dopesmoker

I remove my fans manually. Its a debatable topic. I like the light to penetrate into the canopy and hit all of the flower sites. As well the extra air circulation is helpful.

Should be fine, I bet you get really solid flowers... weather permitting!

Mr^^

Yeah, I was wondering about the possibility of using a chemical defoliant last summer when I spent two days defanning a garden of 200 gallon pots. orion6324 do you have any of the pictures of the damage? Maybe using a hail-gun of some sort could be a mechanical substitute for manual defoliation.