What's new

HELP! GH Junkie wants to go Organic!

Greenmopho

Hey guys, I've been growing for years, mostly in grodan cubes, slabs, and trays. Done some DWC stuff that I really enjoy. I am now working with a modified version of Blazeoneup's RDWC in 5 gal buckets. I am growing legal and medical and want to have the best and cleanest product. I have always used General Hydroponics Flora 3-part with some supplements. I used to use Aquashield, now I've moved onto Hygrozyme, cuz I've heard its better. I also use SuperThrive (actually now Thrive Alive B-1). I've always had good results with the GH 3 part, and I strive to keep my nute solution clean and clear, and well oxygenated. Now I am very interested in going organic hydro, and was thrilled to see a whole Organic Hydro section here on ICmag. I suppose this is my introductory post for Organic Hydro. I have used some Liquid Karma in the past, as well as some of the Botanicare stuff, but my water always seems to get thick, and my roots get slimy. Maybe this is okay, but from my perspective of doing conventional hydro, it just looks dirty and scary to me. I've also heard that when you use organic nutes in deep water culture, the water thickens up and can't hold as much oxygen, which sound right. I looked into the General Organics line, since thats at least a brand I'm familiar with, but I heard from some guys here using it in their buckets that it clogged the lines up and caused some out of control pythium. Not what I want to do at all! So, um, help, lol! Where do I start? How can I successfully go fully organic in a bucket style RDWC? What are other pathogens to look out for in such conditions? How about all this worm castings and mycorhorial fungus stuff? Its a bit overwhelming for me? Any good guides, sites, links on getting started? Also, what about the OMRI rating? Some people are sticklers about it, others say its total bullshit. Not sure...

T

themoonismyfrnd

I am using the G.O. Bio-Thrive Vegan line now, and I will say that it has the tendency to be "thick". I run to waste, so it's not problem, but I can see it causing a problem otherwise.

Greenmopho

I might just start doing pots of organic soil, just to learn the ropes, and then merge my 2 methods into some type of organic hydro setup.

Yeah defiantly start in soil with the organics... Get the idea of it, but if you can grow with chems you can do it with organic you just gotta know what to use(its the same concept, just getting nutes from different things like casting/guano/manure/kelp&fish.. ECT).. I've done some DWC in 5gal.. I've been using straight Bonticare products(pBP grow, Bloom/soil&hydro, LK, and cal-mag plus). I also use the GH ph drops(fucking easy and cheap). Have have no meter(ec&tds)moneys low, but I'm doing just fine..... I CAN READ A PLANT TO SEE WHAT IT LIKES+ I got lots of experience.... Temperature is also a big deal ..70 degrees Fahrenheit is optimal, mine are all at 75 sometime hitting 80, but its all good cuz I got no light leaks and I stay on top to make sure no bad bacteria is growing or algae. Some will say 80 is too high, and it is~ if you have a constant 80 all day+ a light leak=algae& bad pathogens(on the cold days I'll throw my water heaters on and when i see its going above 75 I unplug~ Its no good to be higher then 75 ..... I kinda felt the same way about using these nutes(Bonticare/PBP).. Not so much about it making the water thick, if you don't have a RDWC you have to mix the buckets up to keep the nutes off the bottom. When you initailly put them in and mix it looks like one solid dark bucket of water, but let it go for a day or so and pop the top off, and the top will be clear and bottom will have all the dark stuff(nutes). I think this will just happen with the organics~Not SURE~ I haven't had the chance to run GH 3 part ferts but that's gonna be the next purchase, cuz PBP cost dough... $25-30 a qt.. same with liquid karma & the Cal-mag+.. DON't GET ME WRONG THIS IS ALL I'VE EVER USED OTHER THEN FEEDING THRU THE SOIL/SOILESS mediums with Guano, casting, manure, and ect.>>>>But it cost money, and the gh is like 8-15$ for one bottle.>>So say $45 at the most, is better then say 28x5=$140>>>>See the LK cost me 30, but the cal-mag plus cost like 24$ so I'll give it an average of $28..If I was constantly growing hydro with the Bonticare line it would cost dough and it doesn't last too long... I've run to waste in the past, being I don't have a meter, So I'm sure I was wasting nutes/MONEY.. but the next time I'm thinking of keeping the nute mix, top it off and just cleaning the inside of the bucket(while the mix is in an other bucket) Then let it keep going... If My girls don't like it when I do It, I'll just have a fresh mix chillin on the side to swap out... BUT I HEAR THE GH 3 PART GIVES GOOD RESULTS>> DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY COMMENT ON THAT???

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Anyone heard of Bioponics. Growing hydro but using organic nutrients/teas. I'm thinking of doing that. I grow in 3 gallon pots just using soil from the garden centre at the moment, of course I use canna terra and canna flores etc.

Did not read your post daddy-o sounds like a good alternative.

Omerta

you cannot run organics in aeroponic or dwc systems.

id suggest, soil/soilless mix/coco those will work and make it easy on your learning organics

Zealious

I just started using GH new organic line.. and Im very happy with it.. Compared to other organics it is very clean formula and From what i see is probly one of the best to use with hydro.. Dwc is probly the best... U will need to incorporate microbeasties on a regular bassis if you do this... Other wise u will get slime .

When I talked with gh they said the line is not intended for organic hydro.. and their theory is that organic hydro is impossible.

I dont know about this.. Where ther eis a will there is a way.. Im sure its possible but just not optimal...

IM using the line on soil tho..

It is very comjplete and there is a lot of research behind it... However it is missing earth casings and bat gunao if you ask me. which both of those are amazing in organics... and have proven to beat out chemicle ferts for taste and yield.. check out maximumyeild magazine when they did a habenero test grow comparinc chemicle vs organic.. Organic beat chemicle.... you just have to master organics/

Zealious

yea but i second everyone USE A SOILESS mix and just add the ferts as needed.. This is passive hydroponics but the best way to go organic hydro. otherwise u will have lots of problems...

I dont know if organic hydroponics is ever going to happen which is a huge disapointment to me because it had the potential to save to planet.. Hydro is amazing because it conserves tons of watter especialy on a aggricultural level... then organics is better for the enviroment no runoff and bad chemicals getting in the ground and water tables...

too bad its probly not goint to happen...

I know you will get a lot of recommendations here but I have just been so HAPPY with PBP Bloom. I used GH for about 2 years before switching. PBP is very simple and foolproof. You will wonder at all the time wasted checking this or that when using GH. Mixing nutes, checking and maintaining PH, worrying over ppms and nute formulas, GONE. With GH just fill res, add 25-30ml/g for bloom, get high. PBP is 99.9% organic, but not certified. Let me know if I can help more I am happy to chat. PBP should not make your roots slimy or make your res misbehave at all.

floralheart

Veteran
If you solve the mystery, let me know. I'm also interested in growing with Organic nutes in a DWC system. It seems as if it's possible.

I use the Alaska fish fertilizer in veg and Bio-Bizz's Bio Bloom in flower (Sea kelp and molasses).

It seems as if a person could bubble

If you mix a tea of semi-solids, like worm castings and bat guano, yeah... it's going to clog things. But a dilute 1 tsp. fish emulsion in a gallon of water isn't a sludge of a tea, it's very liquid.

Seems like a person could bubble with those, and as soon as I can figure out who has done it successfully, I'd like to try.