What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help finding MMJ Dr

hamstring

Veteran
Hello fellow Land of Lincolnites.

My wife has had Rheumatoid arthritis for over 30 years. She has always hated all thing MJ and you can guess why. :biggrin:

If you know anything about RH you know it only gets worse. There is no cure. Besides her anti-inflammatory drug she also takes tramadol.

She has sort of turned new page and is at least looking towards CBD for some help.

I have asked her for years (for selfish reasons)but she was never interested. Since the hint of legalization she has opened her mind. Her current rheumatologist, who my wife has been seeing for 20 years and loves, has a sign in the waiting room about why she is against MMJ. She has been great human being to my wife not just a Dr.

I live close enough to Chicago to make the trip easily.

Does the Dr. have to specializes in your specific malady?

Does anyone know a Dr. in the Chicago land area who is MMJ friendly?

Has any one been through the process of getting a MMJ Card in Illinois?

hamstring, hope your wife can find some relief. Some info to help you out below. Most dispensaries will be able to guide you through the physician finding and application process as well.

There's a few doctors specializing in medical cannabis in the Chicago area. If you contact a dispensary near you, they should be able to direct you to a physician, otherwise a quick google search should get you there (medical cannabis doctor illinois). I've heard good things about Melrose Park. You'll visit your chosen doctor who will recommend cannabis and either give you a form with a written recommendation or submit some required info online to the state while your wife completes an application (any dispensary will help you for free, so will most county health departments).

Your wife currently has two options to qualify for medical cannabis in Illinois, with different costs and medical card expiration dates depending on the route you both wanted to go. Illinois has two programs, one is the MCPP (Medical Cannabis Pilot Program) and the other is the OAPP (Opioid Alternative Pilot Program). At the end of the day, both allow you to walk into a dispensary and purchase medical cannabis.

For the MCPP, your wife would qualify under her RA. Pay $100, $200, or $250 for a one, two, or three year card. Visit your cannabis doctor with your previous year of medical records which list RA as a diagnose, and your doc will fill out a 'Physician Certification Form' while your wife submit an electronic patient application. Doctor fees are generally around $300. After submitting your application, you'll be able to purchase the next day (submit online before 6pm). You'll have 90 days of provisional access where you are locked in to purchasing only from a single dispensary (choose wisely), after which she'll get her permanent card and can change dispensaries (normally takes about 24-48 hours).

For the OAPP, your wife would qualify with her prescription to tramadol. Any opiate prescription, or any condition for which an opiate can be prescribed can qualify a patient for medical cannabis under the OAPP. Visit your cannabis doctor with your medical records and theywill submit an electronic ticket with your patient info. Your wife would then submit her own electronic patient application and pay the state fee of $10 which allows for a 90 day card. You can purchase within 10-15 minutes of your application to the state and payment of the $10 fee. You cannot change your dispensary, so choose wisely. To renew the card, you have to visit your doctor again, so while the fees are lower, the doctor fees may add up if you have to go to a cannabis specialty doctor out of network. Given that she can qualify for both, you get the option of deciding which would be the best route.

You should be able to google for the patient application portals and more info, otherwise pm and I'll get you set up.

Unfortunately, IL has some of the highest prices and limited dispensaries and cultivators. Some of the product is nice, but all is overpriced, and some is quite poor. Being locked to a dispensary is a pain, especially when some still refuse to post products and pricing online (hint, it's cause they're selling overpriced meds)

I like to say... With the state fees and doctor fees, it ends up that patients are paying $600 in fees for the privilege to purchase $500 ounces. Quite fucked in that regard.

There is the option to hold of for rec, which looks like will be going live sometime in 2020.

hamstring

Veteran
Hey brother thanks for the info.

I know this will sound contrived but right after I posted this thread it came to me that any dispensary would have the low down on getting a MMJ card. I was at a local head shop and the person working there had her MMJ card.

My wife and I could never afford $500/oz. I was hoping to be able to grow legally for her and help produce some quality CBD concentrate or oil.

Waiting on the recreational is a solid option too. What got me thinking Medical in the first place was the thread in this forum where others posted what they had read about the rec process. I was born and raised in IL . It is considered to have the most corrupt politicians in the nation.

I really do believe that this state will make it illegal for recreational users to grow if the law passes. Call me paranoid but its what I think.

I keep thinking my only choice would be a med license and that may allow me to grow legally once rec passes.

Anyone with RA will tell you it sucks. The pain just makes her tired all the time. It attacks your eyes and other organs. Most people confuse it with osteoarthritis. Its nothing at all like that. I have heard her say over and over for 25 years. I just wish I could be normal.

She's the strongest person I know. I have plenty of selfish reasons for wanting to grow but she is my best reason. :tiphat:

Thanks again.

hamstring, hope your wife can find some relief. Some info to help you out below. Most dispensaries will be able to guide you through the physician finding and application process as well.

There's a few doctors specializing in medical cannabis in the Chicago area. If you contact a dispensary near you, they should be able to direct you to a physician, otherwise a quick google search should get you there (medical cannabis doctor illinois). I've heard good things about Melrose Park. You'll visit your chosen doctor who will recommend cannabis and either give you a form with a written recommendation or submit some required info online to the state while your wife completes an application (any dispensary will help you for free, so will most county health departments).

Your wife currently has two options to qualify for medical cannabis in Illinois, with different costs and medical card expiration dates depending on the route you both wanted to go. Illinois has two programs, one is the MCPP (Medical Cannabis Pilot Program) and the other is the OAPP (Opioid Alternative Pilot Program). At the end of the day, both allow you to walk into a dispensary and purchase medical cannabis.

For the MCPP, your wife would qualify under her RA. Pay $100, $200, or $250 for a one, two, or three year card. Visit your cannabis doctor with your previous year of medical records which list RA as a diagnose, and your doc will fill out a 'Physician Certification Form' while your wife submit an electronic patient application. Doctor fees are generally around $300. After submitting your application, you'll be able to purchase the next day (submit online before 6pm). You'll have 90 days of provisional access where you are locked in to purchasing only from a single dispensary (choose wisely), after which she'll get her permanent card and can change dispensaries (normally takes about 24-48 hours).

For the OAPP, your wife would qualify with her prescription to tramadol. Any opiate prescription, or any condition for which an opiate can be prescribed can qualify a patient for medical cannabis under the OAPP. Visit your cannabis doctor with your medical records and theywill submit an electronic ticket with your patient info. Your wife would then submit her own electronic patient application and pay the state fee of $10 which allows for a 90 day card. You can purchase within 10-15 minutes of your application to the state and payment of the $10 fee. You cannot change your dispensary, so choose wisely. To renew the card, you have to visit your doctor again, so while the fees are lower, the doctor fees may add up if you have to go to a cannabis specialty doctor out of network. Given that she can qualify for both, you get the option of deciding which would be the best route.

You should be able to google for the patient application portals and more info, otherwise pm and I'll get you set up.

Unfortunately, IL has some of the highest prices and limited dispensaries and cultivators. Some of the product is nice, but all is overpriced, and some is quite poor. Being locked to a dispensary is a pain, especially when some still refuse to post products and pricing online (hint, it's cause they're selling overpriced meds)

I like to say... With the state fees and doctor fees, it ends up that patients are paying $600 in fees for the privilege to purchase $500 ounces. Quite fucked in that regard.

There is the option to hold of for rec, which looks like will be going live sometime in 2020.

choppedin312

So I have a long and documented history with PTSD. So this might not be the case. I just brought some additional information and talked to it about my doctor. I did it online and it cost 100.00 bucks. Super super easy. The wait sucked, but thats over now. That was Rauner trying to destroy the program.

choppedin312

Illinois system is in pretty good shape for what its been through. Its improving. Our prices seem to be standard to California. Weed in general is too expensive of course, but its not limited to Illinois.

So I am a Social Worker and am very close to getting my clinical license. The "fees" are the doctors and social workers charging you for an arm and a leg and for paperwork.

If you have a QI and can do 2 pages of paperwork, you can get your card for 100.00. If you are disabled or a Vet, its 25.00

hamstring

Veteran
Hey guys sorry for not updating the thread for so long .

Based on the feedback I got here at IC mag ( thanks community)I went to my local dispensary ( Mapleglen) in Rockford.

The gave me a list of Dr's to visit . I listed the local ones below. Most charge a fee for the initial ($100-200) visit and for each follow up visit($75 - 125. Some don,t even ask you to bring your medical records.

What gives, why would not i need my medial records? Since follow up visits are listed I'm guessing there are always follow up visits i.e. more $$$?

When I mentioned that the medical conditions on the list are quite specific. The guy I talked to at Mapelglen hinted or I thought he was hinting or I might have been hoping he was hinting, that it really depends on the Dr.

Does any one know any of these people and how this works?

Hytek Medical ROckford

Both of the below work in the same building.
Dr. Badruddoja
Stephanie Brown

choppedin312

Based on the feedback I got here at IC mag ( thanks community)I went to my local dispensary ( Mapleglen) in Rockford.

The gave me a list of Dr's to visit . I listed the local ones below. Most charge a fee for the initial ($100-200) visit and for each follow up visit($75 - 125. Some don,t even ask you to bring your medical records.

What gives, why would not i need my medial records? Since follow up visits are listed I'm guessing there are always follow up visits i.e. more $$$?

When I mentioned that the medical conditions on the list are quite specific. The guy I talked to at Mapelglen hinted or I thought he was hinting or I might have been hoping he was hinting, that it really depends on the Dr.

Hytek Medical ROckford

Dr. Badruddoja
Stephanie Brown

That is my favorite dispensary and the best I have found in Illinois. It does depend on the doctor. There was Footerman in the area, but he was shady.

choppedin312

Hytek Medical ROckford

Dr. Badruddoja
Stephanie Brown

Sorry for the multiple posts. I actually moved back to Rockford (my screenname might be confusing) so I am in the area (by the mall). I am going to ask around. I can also give you the name of the doctor I use in Chicago.