What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help explaining difference from donor and receiver?

LizardMan

Ive been searching trying ro figure out if it makes much difference on a strain being a receiver to a donor.

I.e. C99(F) x Straighter(M) or Stsrfighter(F) x C99(M)

Besides the obvious that they are different plants

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
You have to do it both ways to actually see.

Some lines pass on primarily traits from the female, some from the male, depending on what's dominate.

In my experience I always wind up with two different lines. They may be subtle differences but they are different.

You should ask this question in the Tom Hill has Arisen thread. I'd love to hear those big brained fellas thoughts on this.

LizardMan

I have tried it myself and ended up with like you said Lester 2 similar but different lines.... But id also say just using a different male or female from the same strain would cause that small change...

But what does a male give that a female doesn't... And does marijuana act like us and that the Y chromosome only has the males linage in it if im not mistaken...

Or should i stop over thinking and just find the male i want to put on a nice female, And not try to find the male from "A" strain to match the female From "B" strain because it will produce a better match then the opposite way?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Scientifically there should be little difference whichever way round it is, the genetics of each side of the cross and selection of parents are much more important...

But the mitochondrial DNA, which relates to conversion and use of energy in the plant, is inherited from the mother, so the vigor of your cross is more influenced by the mother than the pollen donor father.
Therefore using the more vigorous plant as the mother (if you can) is better practice.

VG

stashpot

it depends how dominate the male used is and what you are looking for.

For example im working with 2 i95 hybirds at the moment
1 was the mother in the cross i95 x DHP and then one was a male in another hybird, colombianD x i95 (male) the one where i95 was the mother is more dominate i95 progeny where as the other one colombianxi95 was a male and shows more chem D and colombian leaners and the males from those are more on the i95/chem d side.
So i want as much i95 as possible in these so i would choose the I95xDHP as the mother as they will most likely be dominate against my male ColombianDxi95.
the offspring should be i95 dominate, if i switched the roles most likely would be colombian chem dom. But my male could be a stud and dominate the genes but im pairing my i95s here so no matter what they will show up either dom or recessive in the f2 gen.

So then you take into account, are you using an already bottlenecked F1 that somebody reversed and gave you 1 flavour of the pie? or are you using a pheno from an F1 regular pack? this matters as if u cross a good male with a F1 feminized female you'll most likely end up with a mix bag of hybirds the male will be the vigour added to the bottled necked f1 feminized beans and will display his genes into the very small genes of the bottle neck f1. so take this into consideration.

people like to choose a male that lets the female shine but carries his strong genes, structure, resilience, smell, etc etc.
So most times the females will dominate the cross depending on how dominate the male, but i would also choose the mother to be the plant i most want my offspring to look smell taste like etc whatever your choosing for always use that one as the mom .

stashpot

either way you cross it you'll probably end up to my knowledge for F1 generation.
This example has 1 dominate alleles
P1xp2
P=dominate alleles
p=recessive alleles

25% PP
50% Pp
25% pp

so whichever plant carries the dominate P allele those will have 50% Pp usually its the mother they will create your true hybird mix of the 2.
25% PP will be P1 dominate with the F2 generation showing up with P1's
25% pp will be p2 dominate and the F2 generation showing up with p2's
These numbers could be slightly different in reality tho and depending on what type of Parents you use to begin with. Hope any of this helps.

What you trying to cross anyway? I'm interested.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You answered you own question.

The simple fact that you are using 2 different sets of parents and producing two seed lines says it all.