What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help building/designing an NPK Calculator :)

Terppalooza

Hello guys, ive been programming a nutrient calculator. and i have too many features and ideas. I would appreciate anyones feedback on design and functionality. what you would like to see and dont like. I need opinions!
so the idea of the website is it, helps me calculate the element values for all plant essential nutrients in mg/l, ppm and mmo/l for various nutrient trecipies. The use would be, for example: you want to replicate a recipe, in a study. Or you enjoy growing with canna nutrients, but want to find a cheeper way. so you can check out what values canna has in mg. per liter, and let the websites generator page. make you a simmilar recipie with nutrients you have at hand, or a much cheeper. In addition people can save their recipies, for different plants and phases of growth. Kindof like hydro buddy with a shared community page.

Here are some screen shots of the current builds. im not shure yet about the desing or fuctionality lol so if anyone has feedback or questions. to get my mind rolling a bit. i would appreciate it.

This would be the calculator page
Screenshot 2023-10-11 142444.png
when you press the plus under nutrients
Screenshot 2023-10-11 142618.png
calculation in action xD
Screenshot 2023-10-11 142812.png

This is my diffrent looks of the nutrients page. where you look up nutrients to use. or can add new nutrients to the comminuty. could use some advise what is missing or swhat doesnt work.
Screenshot 2023-10-11 143209.png

Screenshot 2023-10-11 141338.png

anyways random post. but if anyone wants to give me some feedback i would really appreciate it.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hello guys, ive been programming a nutrient calculator. and i have too many features and ideas. I would appreciate anyones feedback on design and functionality. what you would like to see and dont like. I need opinions!
so the idea of the website is it, helps me calculate the element values for all plant essential nutrients in mg/l, ppm and mmo/l for various nutrient trecipies. The use would be, for example: you want to replicate a recipe, in a study. Or you enjoy growing with canna nutrients, but want to find a cheeper way. so you can check out what values canna has in mg. per liter, and let the websites generator page. make you a simmilar recipie with nutrients you have at hand, or a much cheeper. In addition people can save their recipies, for different plants and phases of growth. Kindof like hydro buddy with a shared community page.

Here are some screen shots of the current builds. im not shure yet about the desing or fuctionality lol so if anyone has feedback or questions. to get my mind rolling a bit. i would appreciate it.

This would be the calculator page View attachment 18902458 when you press the plus under nutrients View attachment 18902460 calculation in action xD View attachment 18902459

This is my diffrent looks of the nutrients page. where you look up nutrients to use. or can add new nutrients to the comminuty. could use some advise what is missing or swhat doesnt work. View attachment 18902461
View attachment 18902456
anyways random post. but if anyone wants to give me some feedback i would really appreciate it.
Plenty of complete nutrient blends are already on the market, so I don't see the reasoning in your post. Maybe you can tell me more or what makes one's own blends more helpful than buying a professional blend. .

Terppalooza

Plenty of complete nutrient blends are already on the market, so I don't see the reasoning in your post. Maybe you can tell me more or what makes one's own blends more helpful than buying a professional blend. .
im not trying to sell anything. Its a website, to help calculate npk values in mg/l or pmm or whatever. you could for example compare diffrent blends to eachother. see their values in barcharts next to eachother. to maybe analyse why one worked better then the other. what was missing. with thoese numbers you could also try to remake that blend with cheeper nutrients. say mono potassium phosphate and calcinit. the idea its a tool.

Terppalooza

for me it started because i saw some studies about optimal NPK ratios and values for cannabis. and wanted to know how the professional cannabis blends compare. and later mix my own blend with simmilar values as were shown in the study. soo thats how got here, make the prosess easier, and for my future sake i have a little tool, that helps me figure out the optimal npk values for my strains! :) i think it could maybe help other people, better understand what they are feeding!

early_bird

Veteran
I would love to put in what i feed the plant and get summary in the end. How much of what have i fed over the weeks ?
What happens when i feed ammount x of epsom salt to the overall magnesium feed for example.

Or a nice graph how N intake have developed over time. Then i can compare this with my notebooks where i write the deficiencies i have sees.

Killer would be a function to plan the entire grow ahead. Then export data to control dosage pumps which execute this :) But this would be very advanced.

May useful to when i switch fertilizer A with fertilizer B, what would happen to my nutrients and NPK ratios ?

Terppalooza

I would love to put in what i feed the plant and get summary in the end. How much of what have i fed over the weeks ?
What happens when i feed ammount x of epsom salt to the overall magnesium feed for example.

Or a nice graph how N intake have developed over time. Then i can compare this with my notebooks where i write the deficiencies i have sees.

Killer would be a function to plan the entire grow ahead. Then export data to control dosage pumps which execute this :) But this would be very advanced.

May useful to when i switch fertilizer A with fertilizer B, what would happen to my nutrients and NPK ratios ?
so like a diary page? that shows you the average npk levels that you fed each week. i was thinkining about somethign simmilar too, this could possibly help organic growers aswell. any more ideas on how you want to compare defficinecys or log things in a diary? exporting data for dossage pumps sounds intresing, but thats something for the future. :)

gmanwho

Veteran
terppalooza , Something interesting to add for amended an soil section would be a nutrient breakdown and its availability over time. Short medium or long term designation on file

so if u had a set npk value, say 7-12-20 or whatever number u choose

So lets say you wanted to add 2 primary sources of K. a fast release and something more a medium an long term release.

Eack K input value could also have a designation, short medium and long term release. so when you calculate your 20, you could choose a 30% ratio for short term release, and the remaining 70% added would be something that takes a few months to break down. Havent seen this option yet out there.

early_bird

Veteran
so like a diary page? that shows you the average npk levels that you fed each week.
Exactly. Here i see the real strength for the software, to keep track how things was going and be able to do it better next time.
The software can´t calculate the "needs" of the plant out of void.
But it can help to understand, after the grow, what went well and what doesn´t. It could support this with graphs and diagrams for example to make it fun to read.

If you can see clearly i feed this and that and keep track hot plant health developed i could get a pretty nice picture of what to change next time when i grow exactly the same strain or clone for example.

Terppalooza

Exactly. Here i see the real strength for the software, to keep track how things was going and be able to do it better next time.
The software can´t calculate the "needs" of the plant out of void.
But it can help to understand, after the grow, what went well and what doesn´t. It could support this with graphs and diagrams for example to make it fun to read.

If you can see clearly i feed this and that and keep track hot plant health developed i could get a pretty nice picture of what to change next time when i grow exactly the same strain or clone for example.
hmm i would prefer not to host peoples pictures. but notes, and just listign what your feeding every day or week. and then give you some charts would work. maybe open up some intresting paths. what type of notes do you take about your plants? leaf size, height, what specific notes on health, light exposupre?