What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hello Xen

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Sorry if any threads you relied on were unstuck. I'm going to put together a list of proposed changes for the layout of nodes (forums) to try and trim some of them down. Along with this will also be suggestions on what to do with sticky posts and how to best manage them. A lot of nodes have a crazy number of sticky posts which make it hard to find newer posts, obviously this is a balancing act because you don't want to remove stuff that is very important.

More on this to come down the line.
not all of the threads that were sticked, were sticked because they where being posted in often in the last two years. But because they contained info of such value to the community. Some of them had how to do things, like building things, growing. Much of which would often be more valuable to new growers.

StevenHXF

Administrator
not all of the threads that were sticked, were sticked because they where being posted in often in the last two years. But because they contained info of such value to the community. Some of them had how to do things, like building things, growing. Much of which would often be more valuable to new growers.
Hi, there was also a LOT of useless stuff that was unstuck but yeah some stuff that could probably do with remaining stuck was unstuck. We’ll go through the moderation logs and look into putting some stuff back.

Seeing as you’ve got a handle on what is valuable it would be great to get your input on the node update thread. 👍

Entusia

Is that the best approach though? Maybe it's best to remove what is not needed/redundant, instead of finding/resticking what is frequently used/important/unique?

After all, i get it, new posts are important to a community to keep it fresh, but stickied posts are more important, because... that's why they were stickied. Especially sticky posts in International Forums cause they're language specific. Especially for visitors/lurkers.

I agree that there's no point in sticking every guide/tutorial under the sun in every single forum, but if no mod/user goes out of their way to make an archive, and get that stickied instead of the single guide/tutorial threads, how can the info stand out and not get lost?

Imho it's better to decide what to shed instead of what to keep, but i'm not a mod and i'm not interested in becoming one so i don't really have a say :p
Could also be the opportunity to make some polls on the sticky threads to keep.

Food for thought, happy (late) 420 :cool:

StevenHXF

Administrator
Is that the best approach though? Maybe it's best to remove what is not needed/redundant, instead of finding/resticking what is frequently used/important/unique?
Well I think that's what I was suggesting to be honest. From the sounds of it, there were some useful threads that were removed that should have been, I'm suggesting we go back and look through the mod logs and work out what to put back and at the same time keeping stuff that was no longer relevant unstuck.

We do need to have a clear out though and clean out a lot of stuck items and that will go hand-in-hand with the changing of the node layout, we're still waiting on feedback from everyone on that by the way.

:tiphat:

StevenHXF

Administrator
No they shouldn’t be.
004305B5-E5B8-4671-BE10-47F2A4A02AE5.jpeg

StevenHXF

Administrator
@StevenHXF Question for you about Xen? Can Xen have a friends list, a list of who you are fallowing and a list who is fallowing you?
Hover over your name in the top right, click Your Account then click on the about tab. You'll see a list of who you follow and who follows you.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
old forum had friend list. he asks if we can have that, plus what we have now here..

StevenHXF

Administrator
old forum had friend list. he asks if we can have that, plus what we have now here..
At some point maybe, right now though the Xen version will have to do.

Apart from Old Galleries that are being imported now, the next priority is a dark mode which will be followed by the sorting out of the forum nodes. :)

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
They stay logged in button on the log in screen, the check box thing, can we have that as an opt in rather than an opt out?

F

fat freddy

@StevenHXF
When I try go into chat it tells me "you haven't selected a room" and I can only get into a private chat room not main room, theres no options for me to go into main room

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
I thoroughly enjoyed the old private reputation option. I hope that something of the sort will be soon introduced.

Site is working so much smoother already. Thanks to all involved.
if you activate your account again send me a pm, I got a contact for the person you were trying to reach