What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hello and please help

Darksidedog

Hi all, been browsing this forum for ages. The best place to get general sativa grow info if you trawl and ignore the pheno hunting, not that it has no importance but has no relevance to anything i can do.

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this but I have finally registered to ask a question that has been bugging me for years.
If the wealth of knowledgable peeps on here can't help, i have no idea where else to ask.

Back in the early 80's, i popped a number of random seeds that dated back at least from the late 60's.
One of the plants was extremely unusual.
It was a perfect Xmas tree shape (no pruning) and was an unusual shade of silvery/blue/green with thin leaves of 9 fingers.
The most unusual thing about this plant was the behaviour exhibited during rain. The branches would lift up close to the main stem and then the whole plant would lie down.
The first time this happened i thought that it was storm damaged but when the rain stopped and the sun came out the whole plant stood up again and opened up as if nothing had happened.
The plant never completed flowering but that which I tried gave a very wierd shimmer effect to everything. "Rhubarb and custard" like.

Would love to have any clues as to what the plant type was, never seen anything like it since.

Grateful for any help.

Ace are awesome.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Welcome to ic darksidedog. It is good to come out of the shadows. :rasta:

Re your question . . . I would say posting your question in Cannabis Strains and Breeding with a suitable title would get the most attention. Like: Help Identify an old strain . . . or something . . .

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plants can heavily wilt in storms to protect themselves. Only in high wind/rain would this happen. Cannabis plants don't fall over on purpose. I have seen growers bend plants over and stake them to make lateral branching grow up. Pine tree shapes are common when plants are not topped. Without pictures makes it impossible to say for sure.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Welcome, and never heard of the like except that many plants do have a response to rain of some sort.

Sounds like something I'd like to have around. :)

xet

Hi all, been browsing this forum for ages. The best place to get general sativa grow info if you trawl and ignore the pheno hunting, not that it has no importance but has no relevance to anything i can do.

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this but I have finally registered to ask a question that has been bugging me for years.
If the wealth of knowledgable peeps on here can't help, i have no idea where else to ask.

Back in the early 80's, i popped a number of random seeds that dated back at least from the late 60's.
One of the plants was extremely unusual.
It was a perfect Xmas tree shape (no pruning) and was an unusual shade of silvery/blue/green with thin leaves of 9 fingers.
The most unusual thing about this plant was the behaviour exhibited during rain. The branches would lift up close to the main stem and then the whole plant would lie down.
The first time this happened i thought that it was storm damaged but when the rain stopped and the sun came out the whole plant stood up again and opened up as if nothing had happened.
The plant never completed flowering but that which I tried gave a very wierd shimmer effect to everything. "Rhubarb and custard" like.

Would love to have any clues as to what the plant type was, never seen anything like it since.

Grateful for any help.

Ace are awesome.
Welcome

Having grown many different herbs/flowers/etc whenever there is a deep soak rain, 1-3 days for example all of my plants lie down.

The first plant that comes to mind with a super nice Christmas tree, blue/green, and lies down is Colombian.

And in the 60s Colombian can be responsible for all of the ganja travelling much of the world, to Jamaica, Australia, America, etc.
arjanghs-jpg.18726996

Attachments

• arjanghs.jpg
    arjanghs.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 210

Darksidedog

Welcome

Having grown many different herbs/flowers/etc whenever there is a deep soak rain, 1-3 days for example all of my plants lie down.

The first plant that comes to mind with a super nice Christmas tree, blue/green, and lies down is Colombian.

And in the 60s Colombian can be responsible for all of the ganja travelling much of the world, to Jamaica, Australia, America, etc.

Many, many thanks. So many of my friends thought i was talking nonsense.

New but good problem now. Need to locate some seeds.

Again thanks.

Reactions: xet

Chandrika

Cannabis plants were much more nastic in the past, before the west coast "breeders" discovered pollenation and capitalism.

aHR0cHM6Ly9pLmltZ3VyLmNvbS9WdEFCVTViLmdpZg==.gif

Sadly they never figured out how plants work. Today's cannabis is a dumb plant bred by dumb people, barely phototropic and hardly gravitropic. You might see a modern-day Cannabis plant twist sideways trying to figure it out, like a dog humping a piece of furniture out of residual instinctual habit. But for the most part, modern indoor domestic cannabis is physically and chemically retarded compared to what was available in the 60s-80s.

Hopefully Icmag is still cool enough to automatically put "nastic" in italics so we know how cool of a word it is.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Welcome

arjanghs-jpg.18726996

I wouldn't call this lying down. If the ground is saturated to cause plants to fall over that's not the same. The gound has lost its capability to hold plant roots firmly. Cannabis plants don't do that on their own.. Any plant with the ground saturated won't hold them up. Saturated Soils and Wind will cause them to fall over.

Last edited:

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
I can easily picture a tropical sativa growing up north.. Perhaps in a shaded spot, or cloudy season and growing stretched and wispy enough to flop in rain.. They are built to handle wind and rain and instead of snapping they tend to bend and flow with wind easily... Especially if grown in a spot with too little sun its going to get even more floppy.

xet

I wouldn't call this lying down. If the ground is saturated to cause plants to fall over that's not the same. The gound has lost its capability to hold plant roots firmly. Cannabis plants don't do that on their own.. Any plant with the ground saturated won't hold them up. Saturated Soils and Wind will cause them to fall over.
I'm not talking about plants falling over. I said plants lying down.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not talking about plants falling over. I said plants lying down.

I understood your posts. I said lying down in all of my posts. Cannabis plants do not lay down on their own for no reason. Only serious ground saturation or Wind could cause it. I'm sure other plant health issues like no water will also cause wilting. Wilting is a sign of stress. Ground topography is also a contributor as in the pic above. Any cannabis plant found laying down would be from weather conditions or heath.

Last edited:

Darksidedog

The plant was healthy, roots were stable. this was a reaction to getting wet. After the first time it did it, this had nothing to do with surviving a storm, just rain. Was South facing too so got plenty of sun.
Thx again xet.

thx for the welcomes.

numberguy

I have a plant[cutting] that will wilt and shy away when touched not all the way to the ground tho, but then I have never roughed it up real good to see just how much it would wilt down pretty sure it is a durbin cross. Did it continue to do the wilt thing as it got big?

Latest posts

Latest posts