What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Heat mat/cables

Good day all, Do any of you use any sort of heat under your pots ? ive been thinking of doing this for a while as the root zone is just as important as the canopy.

My cupboard floor is 1.2 x 1.0 and i can cover the floor with 3 inches of kiln dried sand.

your thoughts please.

NEED 4 SEED

I use them for cloning. And I advise everyone to use only the ones with solid! rubber isolation around them. I once used cheap ones and got an electric shock when I cleaned up the place.

X15

yeah buddy they are helpful for cloning or young seedlings. I like to use a sheet of R Tech insulation board under the heat mat, it helps direct the heat upwards and not down into the ground where a lot will dissipate. Your kiln sand would be helpful but might rob you of a little heat, as the Sand will absorb and dissipate a bit.
* my rule with heat mats is…. Always run them with a temp comptroller! I simply put the temp controller probe in a spare cube in the tray as you would a cutting or if You are using solo cups you can place it right into the soil of the cup, or under the cup. Using two trays stacked in one another (holes in the one on top) will allow you to add some water to the bottom tray (.5 cup or so) thus making the system more efficient on heat and humidity... stacked tray with holes always moisture to pass upwards but not having your cups sitting in the water.
hope this helps!

Hasch

learning and laughing
I use a 50w heating mat temp controlled under the 12l pots while the plants are small.

Otherwise that much wet coco chills down so far at night that root development might be hindered. Am growing autos atm, so big pots from the start...

Reactions: X15

Latest posts

Latest posts