What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hay smell after jarring

dr spaceman

yea I think I messed up

recent harvest was dried at 60/60 for 14 days, smelled great cutting it down into the jars
rh in the jars is around 60-62%, seemingly normal?
forgot to pop the jars for a day or two, oops...

anyways, the entire harvest smells like the dreaded hay now!
part of the plant was left hung in the drying room which maintains 55%+ humidity, and this part smells fantastic, sitting out for 20+ days now. much better smoke and smell...

advice? the bud doesn't look moldy. really hoping it's salvageable

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Occasionally after jarring it will take on a green smell. I predict it will improve in a few days to a week, maybe a while longer if it's older sativa type strain.

Might be the chlorophyll offgassing? My personal guess. Not a scientific explanation.

dr spaceman

Was a fan blowing directly on the harvest?
it was dried in a tent with a fan blowing parallel to the weed(not directly on it) and a ventilation fan for the tent. like i said the weed smelled great off the vine, no hay smell at all. was really excited

Occasionally after jarring it will take on a green smell. I predict it will improve in a few days to a week, maybe a while longer if it's older sativa type strain.

Might be the chlorophyll offgassing? My personal guess. Not a scientific explanation.
hopefully so, should i keep burping the jars? thought about leaving the jars open in a 60/60 room for a while too

Brother Nature

If there were mold you'd be smelling a sharp ammonia (catpiss) like smell when opening the jars. You've probably just jarred a bit early. It's not going to ruin your buds or anything, it just won't be as loud. You'll still get plenty high though. :) A lot of people swear by certain numbers of rh and temps but every situation is different and one persons method may not work for you. The more you do it the more you'll learn, just keep at it mate.

Latest posts

Latest posts