What's new

Hash in Nepal - Trip Report

Jalruza

Anyone ever been to India or Nepal to sample local produce?

After i spent about 3 month in Australia in the end of 2003 i got some money to go on a mission in Nepal.

Did you know hash was legal in Nepal until early 70s or so when the American govt PAID Nepal govt to basically make it illegal?

image.jpg

image2.jpg

Good stuff... anyway, after few days in the Kathmandu, i headed north up thro Trisuli, up to Dunche. I had a friend on Overgrow, and he had friend who lived in Trisuli, so i spent a night there with his friend doing research and gathering available data on what is going on further up north where the mountains are.

(Did you know why good hash comes from the mountains? Hehe, because high altitude means higher exposure to UV rays which means you get richer resin production and therefore better hashish!)

So Trisuli hook up told me everything i needed to know. I headed up to Dunche which is the last civilised town with population of several hundred up north. There i had to pay national park entrance fees. And from there i proceeded on foot. Spent a night there, stocked up with oranges, chocolate, bottle of Green Label (which i saved for mountains - its freezing up there!!), digestive biscuits and a warm wool hat which i got as a present from one party who were returning from their voyage and going back the way i came.

So i got it all in my back pack, took a sip of green label whisky and headed along the dirt road. It takes about 8 hours of walking and climbing up the mountains to reach from Dunche to the first guest house so it was a long walk, if you ever go there make sure you take lots of snacks and whisky, you will feel million dollars after snacking on it when you climb half way. The views were astonishing, i spent the night at a guest house and continued journey up thro Langtang National Park in the morning.

lt.JPG

I reached the foot hills of the main Langtang mountain region at the end of second day, and i climbed about 3000 feet, along the way i saw a lot of Cacti that looked a lot like san pedro... I also saw huge packs of mountain guerrillas!! I had my binoculars with me that was class, looking out and checking out surrounding mountains for HASH PLANTATIONS and spotting packs of beautiful guerrillas along the way :D

If only i could find out the name of those mountain guerrillas, i would find a pick of them too. Any zoo-ologists in the house??

Every local kid i met along the way wanted to have a look thro my binoculars. Men wanted to have a smoke with me, met one guy while going up the mountain he had a house build over a mountain stream. That was pretty cool, had a nice smoking session with him, even tho he didnt speak word of english. That day i climbed up a lot and found a small village with a guest house on the top of the mountain, where i spent the night and located my hook up.

The view from that village was intense! It was sunset and OMG!! If only i had a camera with me, it could have been amazing shot to capture... Had a 3 course meal at the guest house, noodle soup and some kind of meat pie and Tibetan bread, ate it on a veranda and watched the sunset.

Not bad, not bad at all, the following day ate my breakfast on the same veranda and met couple friends of my hook up and guide for the next 5 days. His friends sold me couple of TEMPLE BALLS for a tenner!! That stuff is amazing, you not even getting shit like that in Amsterdam these days, no, not the temple balls. Those temple balls, he said, came from a "Hash factory" where my hook up promised to take me :D

I rolled a nice long joint after breakfast and smoked it on the veranda! Temple balls TASTE SO SWEET. It almost reminds me a little of Moroccan hash, that it was MINTY, yet it was so subtle and delicate that i wanted to eat the roach after i smoked it!!!!! And the high of that stuff.... i had what we call Weed-gasm!!! After i smoked the joint i headed out with my guide towards Tibetan border! The high lasted for about 3 - 4 hours and i could still taste the aroma in my mouth.

We walked all day and by night fall we were pass the Nepal’s border and were alsmot in Tibet - China!

lt2.jpg

That evening i was brought to a small house, in the middle of nowhere, there we spent the night and cooked some food, and smoked some more temple balls. In the morning i woke up to a sound of voices, there were 3 army clad Nepalese guys standing next to my bed and eye-ing me suspiciously!!!!!! It was the employees of the so called hash factory and they were here to take me and my hook up further into wilderness!!!!!! Holly shit i though, this is gold!!! I finally made it.
That day they took me up the mountains that did not have any roads or patches on the ground that resembled a path way, we climbed on the other side of the mountains and about 3 or 4 hours later i was in a smallish village where all the action is!

Well, 3 guys didnt show me around , where the plantation was or anything but we sat down, made some tea and talked a little after that i bought a reasonable ammount of temple balls and some other darker hash.

When i came back to Kathmandu i headed west to Pokhara. There i spent a month chilling out by the lake. Pimping hippie chicks, giving away gifts of hash, telling stories about my hash adventures by the fire at night, it was class, i was the king :yummy:

Last edited:

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Lovely thread and pictures Jalruza. I've never been as far up as Nepal, only south and mid India, but I will eventually go to Nepal, when it cools down a little politically. The Cannabis and hashish culture in this part of the world is still alive and kicking, even though things are gradually changing for the worse. The story you told about Nepal and the US involvement is sadly the story in many, many underdeveloped countries; India, Thailand, Cambodia... The US war on drugs is just as global as its political war, and wherever the DEA shows up they use economical blackmail to "force" countries to comply with their twisted agenda.
It is true that good hash comes from the mountains, for several reasons. Mountain regions all over the world are generally scarcely populated, hard to access and therefore well suited for Cannabis cultivation. The theory that additional exposure to UV(B) in high altitude regions produce higher THC levels is based on a few research studies from the 1980's. Even if it seemed clear at that point, further studies have showed that it's more complicated than that (for instance, using UV rich light in indoor growing doesn't particularly increase THC levels). Still, high altitude growers continue to report that their crops are smaller but more potent.
Finally, just a correction on your text. Tibet is not a part of China. The independent nation of Tibet was attacked and invaded by Chinese forces in 1950. Ever since, China has massacred the Tibetan population, destroyed it's cultural heritage and temples, and has now started an organized immigration wave of Chinese settlers in order to change the demography of Tibet, making it predominantly Chinese. It is a shame and disgrace that the rest of the world allows this cultural genocide to take place.

Jalruza

Yeah, funny how when i was with my guide at the Tibetan border, he told me that Chinese army can be within eye sight, and that they have many military bases in this part of Tibet so we better watch out.

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
I have always said I dont like the chinese..... mind you the spanih are no better he he he

when will china pull out of tibet .... probly when the uk/usa pull their noses out of other countries...
I.E probly never!

Peace

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Delta9-THC said:
when will china pull out of tibet .... probly when the uk/usa pull their noses out of other countries...
I.E probly never!

Perhaps. There is a slight difference though. I don't think even the most retarded neocons in the US concider turning Iraq or Afghanistan into the 51:st state of the USA. The US simply continues the old 2WW doctrine, invading hostile countries in order to put friendly puppet regimes in place. China on the other hand has an even older concept of world politics, where you simply invade countries in order to annex them to the empire. China regularly threatens Taiwan with invasion and has border disputes with all its neighbours. With its 10% GDP increase each year, paid by multinational company investments, and the country's chronic lack of oil and other natural resources such as water and wood, you don't need to be a genius to realize that they will soon be a major rival to the USA and the western world in all domains, including militarily. The funny thing is, by investing in China and buying Chinese made products, we're paying for it.

G

:yeahthats Wow quite an adventurer you are man. That sounds so good right about now. :joint:

G

i've been to nepal ten years back and have been to india this year. went to the kullu valley just south of manali in himachal pradesh in feb and got some great hash. brought back some seeds from some grass i got in jaipur and have a couple growing. i loved nepal and have wanted to return but have been nervous since maoist uprisings/royal revolutions/chinese influence etc (starting 1996? i visited 1995). you think it's an easy place to travel in these days?

peace to the chinese. all things change.

Jalruza said:
I reached the foot hills of the main Langtang mountain region at the end of second day, and i climbed about 3000 feet, along the way i saw a lot of Cacti that looked a lot like san pedro... :yummy:

dude that is one awesome trip
something id like to do one day

man ive tried to eat that san pedro before and it was probably oen of the mnost foul things ive ever tasted
i tried it raw i hear soup works a lot better

by the way did you bring any seeds back from your journey?--cause u shoulda!

peace man :joint:

Delta9-THC

Veteran
sorry rosy but invasion is invasion no matter wether you say you got the right to or not ....

can I get a WMD (weapons of mass destruction?)

No .... I cant find one anywhere.....

so If I went and destroyed someones house because they had attacked my world view I'd be called insane ..even if they killed someone I loved I would'nt be able to do anything .. not to mention MY government would try and have me locked up !

Bigger the scale - Bigger the atrocity!
damn our governments even got growers believing their shit!
they are people who are just like you and me ....

someomne attacks you (not a country) and you retaliate by moving in (to a country) and destroying or stealing whatever you can .... Again no justice for the unjustified...

we put them there and then they decide to go to war on my behalf ....ERM no I don't think so ....
Seriously tho Peace to all chinese and fuk my government!

call that the new world order where Im from

Peace

Delta9-THC

Veteran
I dont buy anything chinese .... not even its people ....

(this is a joke...{I feel the need to point that out before someone tries jumping on my back})

huh Neo cons ... Neo - Nazis
If its all about invasion then y put a spin?
that bits to fool you ... the people for enough time to put those "puppet regimes" in place .... so your "Government" and I use that word lightly ! can control and Dictate!
Empire / Dictatorship or jus straight land grabbing
I dont even think It matters what you'd call it ....
I hate the state of this world if you just accept that you gave power to a bunch of lunatics ... like bush and blair who will do anything say anything to be the new world order.....

You shouldn't just be able to take a country no matter what their opinions are or how they differ thats how/why countries exist?
didn't the american founders move to a better life .... a place free from persecution ....

Oops guess not its just a mask for the same old people in a new place.....
Damnit why does that actually piss me off???

Now who's persecuted ....???? seriously

how many wars are going on right now? 2, 5, 7? does it makes a difference /// apparently not Just as long as the people going to war or creating them believe!

ISN'T IT JUST THE OLD if china are gonna "takeover" then We should first scenario?

Anyway peace!

Last edited:

Delta9-THC

Veteran
I dont know about you but I always like a bit of slap and tickle!