What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hash from seeded flowers

unnamedmike

Hi !
I have a question, and I think I haven't read anything about it yet. I'm making small batches of seeds, and would like to know the best way to put those leftovers to good use. In Spain ive made bho with the remains, but here they hold the gas at customs.
another option would be drysift, but here I have an average of 29 degrees all year round, it would have to be an automatic system working in the family freezer...
The other option, and the one I like the most, if possible, would be to make bubblehash with the seeded plants, and immediately after extraction recover the seeds and dry them. Does anyone have experience with this, or any comments?
Thank you !

goingrey

Surely you'd want to remove the seeds before running the material through some bubble bags, not after?

And I would never suggest anyone make BHO at home because of the danger of explosion involved. But let's say you had a safe place and way to do it.. can't you just buy some locally, no need to worry about customs?

unnamedmike

Surely you'd want to remove the seeds before running the material through some bubble bags, not after?

And I would never suggest anyone make BHO at home because of the danger of explosion involved. But let's say you had a safe place and way to do it.. can't you just buy some locally, no need to worry about customs?

If i remove the seed before, all trichs gonna be broken. My question is if it is harmless for the seeds, or not.
The local gas is 10x times the price in usa, and very little offer.

goingrey

Well I guess it would depend on how long and violent your wash is whether the water would permeate the seed husk.

Personally I would choose some broken trichs over potentially damaged seeds. It's not going to break them all. Wear some rubber gloves when removing the seeds and you can scrape the oil off them afterwards. :D

But yeah, it's a good question, I don't know. Hopefully someone does.

unnamedmike

Well I guess it would depend on how long and violent your wash is whether the water would permeate the seed husk.

Personally I would choose some broken trichs over potentially damaged seeds. It's not going to break them all. Wear some rubber gloves when removing the seeds and you can scrape the oil off them afterwards. :D

But yeah, it's a good question, I don't know. Hopefully someone does.

Thanks! Great tip about the gloves. Very usefull if i decide to do QWET.
Yes my priority is healthy seeds, even when i love the idea of make iceolator with the flowers

@peace

Thanks! Great tip about the gloves. Very usefull if i decide to do QWET.
Yes my priority is healthy seeds, even when i love the idea of make iceolator with the flowers

Goingrey has some great points. I would remove first if you are focused on seed production over the hash.

Last edited:

dirty-joe

I agree with that.
At least if it were me, I'd thoroughly dry the weed, to make separating the seed easier, deseed, then further process.

You said "small batches" just how much material you talking about ?

They do have automatic dry sifters that you can put in your freezer, but they are not cheap. Probably not worth it for "small batches". If your handy you could make something though, BBQ rotisserie ?, piece of 160 micron screen, plastic box.

Your most liked option, bubble, does make a good product, but I suspect you'll have a hard time maintaining ice at +30C. I notice my ice disappears quite quick at 10C. Not to mention bubble "usually" has a pretty small rate of return. I don't pretend to be an expert at it, or stir it forever, but my experience is 5% or a little more of good quality.

Again if it were me, and depending on how much material your are talking about, I would probably go the rosin route, or if you can't get butane use another solvent to make oil.

Personally I don't like oil, to sticky, messy, gets on everything, PITA, so I'm with you on the dry sift. That said once the oil is made, and put into vape pen carts, is admittedly pretty easy, and convenient.

Just some opinions.

dirty-joe

re the gloves, yeah, I always wear latex (I think) gloves when "playing" with weed > hash. You put them in the freezer after your done, and the resin peels / rolls right off. Not to mention, nothing wasted stuck to your hands.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Dry sift it. Any solvent or gas based extraction would pull from seeds as well. Headache city.

I would just take a bubble bag and a bucket and dry sift it seeds and all. Get it super dry, and run fingers down the stems to strip the buds into the Bubble Bag. I position the bag inside the bucket with the thickest seam in a spot where it can be held. Then shake and agitate the bag by hand for 15 minutes at a time, or as long as you can stand to sit there making the dry materials churn away. Occasionally further crumbling the buds gently down. An hour of total time should yield quite a lot. A 220 all mesh bubble bag will separate what you want from what you don't. Then you can turn the Kief into hash, oil, or whatever.

This method also allows you to capture the seeds without being damaged, frozen, or wet.

dirty-joe

I would just take a bubble bag and a bucket and dry sift it

I like that idea, simple, effective, and cheap.

Only I would still de-seed first, then freeze the bucket, bag, and weed, agitate for some minutes, then repeat the freeze / shake process. Otherwise at 30 degrees celcius the resin (or most of it) is likely to just get stuck (smeared) in the mesh, or just get smeared on the weed before it even gets broken off, and thus not be collectible.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Click image for larger version  Name:	0225221433a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	23.0 KB ID:	18083471

Low tech problem solver. All trim, larf, microbuds, and older bits get upgraded right here.

The top is covered with a Brewing Veil to keep anything from flying out.

Rembetis

If you are doing small batches then get a small aluminum frame silk screen and clean your bud over a glass dish. Do it when it is cold so the resin isnt sticky. Save the bud and when you get a bigger amount then run thru the bubble bags. Doing small amounts you cant justify a lot of time sifting because the yield is small. But you will get your seeds out and the bubble bags will get the rest of your resin for you later. Store your bud in the freezer until you have enough for the bubble bag run

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Another option would be to get your seeds and then use the left over material to make some nice canna butter.

Latest posts

Latest posts