What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hard or Soft water?

Hard or Soft water?

• Hard (above pH7.0)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Soft (below pH7.0)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Unchanged in the last 3mnths

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Esskie

Hi there fellow Scots growers, it occured to me last night while calibrating my meters how my tap water has went from my pH gradually rising in the rez to it creeping down the way.

It's been as high as EC: 0.20+ & pH: 7.5-8.5+ from the tap but at the moment it seems to be a nice pH: 7.0ish and an EC: 0.17-0.19

we have had lots & lots of rain lately so I'm guessing that's got to have affected it some how?

just wondered if anyone else has noticed a difference in their tap water of late other than the usual fluctuations

we've managed to accumulate a couple of hundred litres of rainwater lately which will be put to good use for anything from germing seeds, using in the cloner or flushing with so it's not all bad :badday::canabis::ying:

rocket high

Veteran
mines has been stable but ive not used lots of litres of it just the odd gallon ..oh and has scottish water got any info on water tests any where on their web site or do you have to contact them by email ...:)

Esskie

mines has been stable but ive not used lots of litres of it just the odd gallon ..oh and has scottish water got any info on water tests any where on their web site or do you have to contact them by email ...:)

Hi bud how ye doin......passes phat doobie to rocket high

Aye, mines has been pretty good this last while, that's really why I asked coz it's very rarely our tap water is pH 7.0 right from the tap!?!......long may it last

can't answer your question about the water tests I'm afraid but did you ever come across nutes called Ferro at Mikes (Hydra when he was still at St Stephen's Street)?

You could send a sample of your water to the company that made Ferro nutes and they'd make you up nutes to suit your water. The Ferro stuff Mike had was allegedly suited to water in that city

I think Advanced Nutes do it too? but I can't imagine it being too cheap?. Scottish Water would probably do it for next to nothing but you would have to give them a suitable reason as to why you wanted it done?

Just say you grow prize winning orchids which have very specific requirements when it comes to conductivity & pH??

rocket high

Veteran
hi ess i did see the nutes your on about but didnt bother with them coz they were dearer than my usual ones i use .. but didnt know about the water tests they done ....if only every nute manafacturer done that that would be great ... i like my ph low to start with -5.5 ish the little ones love it depending on the strain mind u ;) .

Esskie

Same here funnily enough, well I never did any Ferro only grows

I was using GT's Ionic Grow & Bloom at £18/5L as my main nutes (and still do). Boost I'd normally buy in 2L containers as it's 1ml/1L as opposed to 7ml/1L so it lasted longer in the big rez (often just used a 5ml/1L base & got it to where I want it with the meter)

not including whatever additives used such as Cannazyme, PK-13/14 (or 9/18) of course

It was a lomgtime ago but I'm sure he gave me a 1L bottle of this Enzyme Plus for a tenner to try instead of Cannazyme?, I know it wasn't Grow or Bloom coz it wasn't a 2-part.

I think I've just found where Hydra source their gear from too btw :laughing:, they even stock the exact same Adwa meters etc.

off-topic here & I apologize but I think I might mail em to find out how much 50 x 12L black square pots are? (x50 min order)
those would work out cool for me as 16 pots would fit snugly into my humble wee square meter :chin:

got yer mail btw gaj but haven't replied yet so look out for one k man

+rep bud

Esskie

we just posting random words?

we just posting random words?

Reverse Osmosis.
Osmotic Pressure :yeahthats

care to elaborate StinkingRoger?, do you use R.O, was it worth the expense?, what kinda p.s.i is yours sitting at atm (if you use R.O?)

kinda random post man, some of your experiences using it might've been better

Hey gaj (rocket high), I find that's often the case here too re your comment about the pH, it's been really pretty good of late so I can't complain at all.

I normally buy HW nutes which helps but can use either, with the HW nutes, the pH is often at a nice value by the time I've added nutes & whatever to a fresh solution. It does climb over time but never seems to exceed a peak of 7.0 so happy days lol

As you do, if I'm making a fresh batch I will get the EC to the desired level then check the pH and act accordingly. A value of around 5.8~6.1 is where I usually aim for

Did you know Rhizotonic and/or liquid silicon both lower the pH?, think most people know about silicon being a preferred alternative to pH down
that PlantMagic Bio-Silicon I have does it & has to be a healthier choice than adding pH down?

Latest posts

Latest posts