What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Happy Frog potting soil

G

Obviously this stuff is 100% organic. Its got 15 kinds of mycorrhizae and 5 kinds of bacteria listed on the back. Anyone know why it isn't OMRI-listed?. Can the produce grown with Happy Frog be legally sold as organic?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Even_Steven said:
Anyone know why it isn't OMRI-listed?. Can the produce grown with Happy Frog be legally sold as organic?
It could be that FoxFarm Fertilizers has chosen not to pay the extortion fees charged by OMRI up in Eugene, Oregon.

For a company the size of FoxFarm (OMRI fees charged are based on a company's gross revenues/sales), the amount of money that they would be charged might not be worth it simply for the right to add the little OMRI logo on their products.

You might want to review some of the companies that have products 'OMRI listed' - like Foster Farms Chicken Compost. Their chicken compost may be 'organic' or rather 'OMRI Certified' but I doubt that the food that went into the chickens which created that manure were eating anything even remotely connected to the term 'organic' - not to mention the plethora of agents that are involved in the poultry sector.

Back to FoxFarm Happy Frog - the addition of Leonardite would be the deal killer for me but YMMV. There are far better sources of humic acid.

G

Oh....the fees are based on sales. That's fucked up.

What is Leonardite?

Many thousands of years ago large bodies of water existed where huge quantities or organic matter were deposited and began to slowly decompose. Over the year, giant peat bogs were formed. Through geologic activity many of these bogs were buried. After burial, the organic material began to lose oxygen and be transformed in coal under heat and pressure. Those deposits that were never buried deep enough to undergo the complete transformation into coal, became leonardite. Today these leonardite ores exist as stratified layers of brown to black coal-like material underneath an overburden of inorganic soil or rock.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Even_Steven

OMRI charges a company what they call an annual supplier fee ($1,800.00 to start & $900.00 renewal fee for a company the size of FoxFarm Fertilizer) and then there is the actual 'Product Review Fee' with, of course, the annual renewal fee for each item.

Depending on the ingredients/mix of a product, it will be in either Category 1 or Category 2. Category 1 is pretty cheap - $168.00 to kick thing off and another $84.00 per year.

A Category 2 product is $520.00 to kick things off and $260.00 annually to renew the OMRI rating for that product.

There was a question at the OMRI.org web site that specifically addressed a question that you asked in your first post. Here's a copy 'n paste of the question and answer:
Can I call my product "certified organic" once approved?

No. The term "certified organic" is reserved for food and fiber products that meet the USDA National Organic Program production standards. Organic operators look for the OMRI Listed® Seal because it assures them the product has passed OMRI expert review for use in organic production.
OMRI has a great scam going and fortunately very few companies bother with their 'certification' process.

HTH

G

Ah yes, the government monopoly on words. Thanks for the info Coot, very good post. I'd rep you but my post count isn't there yet.

G

I've never been an "organic purist".

I'm using Pure Blend Pro this grow. OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not going to be "OMRI certified organic".

What AM I gonna do??????????????

Frankly, I think OMRI is bullshit. Too many people, especially new growers worry too much about this sort of thing. They want to have 1g/watt grows first time out of the box. They want to hit a home run 1st time at bat. Bad plan IMO.

They should focus on having a decent grow the first time. Once they learn how to grow, THEN they can fool around and worry about all the finer points of growing, e.g. worry about whether every lil thing they put in their grow is "certified" by someone.

My advicefor 1st time growers is: KISS

Make one of LC's soils and feed it with PBPro first time out.

And don't argue with LC or BurnOne about liming soils, just do it like they tell you.

pedro
:sasmokin:

G

pedro48 said:
I've never been an "organic purist".

I'm using Pure Blend Pro this grow. OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not going to be "OMRI certified organic".

What AM I gonna do??????????????

Frankly, I think OMRI is bullshit. Too many people, especially new growers worry too much about this sort of thing. They want to have 1g/watt grows first time out of the box. They want to hit a home run 1st time at bat. Bad plan IMO.

They should focus on having a decent grow the first time. Once they learn how to grow, THEN they can fool around and worry about all the finer points of growing, e.g. worry about whether every lil thing they put in their grow is "certified" by someone.

My advicefor 1st time growers is: KISS

Make one of LC's soils and feed it with PBPro first time out.

And don't argue with LC or BurnOne about liming soils, just do it like they tell you.

pedro
:sasmokin:
Thanks for sharing...classy.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Is the end near?

Is the end near?

Last weekend at a local grocery store chain, they had a couple of pallets of FoxFarm Happy Frog out for sale @ $13.99 for 2 cf. which is the standard/usual price around here.

I happened to be in a 'grow store' this morning picking up some hydro stuff for a fellow patient and mentioned to the manager of this particular store about seeing Happy Frog at a grocery store for less than he was selling it for. He wasn't surprised at all.

He told me that several COSTCO stores on the West Coast will be carrying Happy Frog Potting Soil in the next few weeks. I can't even begin to imagine the deal that COSTCO shoved down their throats to allow them to put their potting soil in their stores.

With the recent shift of FoxFarm's 'Peace of Mind' label over to the new/improved 'Happy Frog Fertilizer' it wouldn't surprise me that FoxFarm is spinning off the Happy Frog potting soil product to sell via mainstream nursery outlets.

If you happen to live on the West Coast and have a COSTCO card the savings should be huge if you happen to use this product.

HTH

CC

D

dongle69

I wonder what Costco will charge?
It is only $8 for a 2 cu ft bag at most stores around here.

Jon

Clackamas Coot said:
Last weekend at a local grocery store chain, they had a couple of pallets of FoxFarm Happy Frog out for sale @ $13.99 for 2 cf. which is the standard/usual price around here.

I happened to be in a 'grow store' this morning picking up some hydro stuff for a fellow patient and mentioned to the manager of this particular store about seeing Happy Frog at a grocery store for less than he was selling it for. He wasn't surprised at all.

He told me that several COSTCO stores on the West Coast will be carrying Happy Frog Potting Soil in the next few weeks. I can't even begin to imagine the deal that COSTCO shoved down their throats to allow them to put their potting soil in their stores.

With the recent shift of FoxFarm's 'Peace of Mind' label over to the new/improved 'Happy Frog Fertilizer' it wouldn't surprise me that FoxFarm is spinning off the Happy Frog potting soil product to sell via mainstream nursery outlets.

If you happen to live on the West Coast and have a COSTCO card the savings should be huge if you happen to use this product.

HTH

CC

Great! Is Happy Frog the same as Ocean Forrest?