What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Handling & Cleaning Bulbs

dante76

new to indoor growing but common sense tells me not to touch the bulb with my bare hand (oils) and use a non lint glove or towel to handle the bulb.

Is rubbing alcohol ok to use clean oils from a bulb?

Rjstoner

never used alcohol i have sprayed windex on a rag and whiped it down never had any ill effects so far. as far as handling of the bulb i always just wrapped my hand in a clean white t-shirt

S

SeaMaiden

Rubbing alcohol should be fine, as is vinegar. The idea behind using the rubbing alcohol would be that it evaporates fastest of any of the good oil-removing options (Windex wouldn't be one of my options, it has other things in it besides ammonia). The lens cleaning wipes I use for my glasses use rubbing alcohol as the degreaser, doesn't harm the lenses at all.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Rubbing alcohol should be fine, as is vinegar. The idea behind using the rubbing alcohol would be that it evaporates fastest of any of the good oil-removing options (Windex wouldn't be one of my options, it has other things in it besides ammonia). The lens cleaning wipes I use for my glasses use rubbing alcohol as the degreaser, doesn't harm the lenses at all.

This get's my vote. Alcohol the higher the % of alcohol the better. The higher the % of alcohol the faster it evaporates. It's great for cleaning bulbs. Use latex gloves to screw the bulbs into the sockets and never touch them with your bare hands.