What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guide for Insects and Pest Prevention

ozzieAI

Veteran
Sometimes neem oil sometimes seems to fuck up the leaves on my indoor ganja, as a foliar spray.

either too strong or not emulsified enough...neem is effective in quite small doses when sprayed. it gives my leaves a nice shiny gloss mixed with a little seaweed and the plants love it..

but since using neem as a drench i rarely spray it these days...bugs just seem to avoid my plants...seen bugs hop on then hop straight off again...

Darkdevil

I need a little help I have lots of tiny black bugs on my biodeisel which is driving me mad as my other plants don't have any at all few dif strains any one have a clue please help

Already tied washing up liquid :((

One thing I have done to limit the caterprillars that works is to pick the eggs off the plants before the worms hatch.

If you go out EARLY, you can see the tiny, spherical eggs on top of the buds. This might not be practical for bigger grows, but I am very sure that picking these eggs off helps lower the numbers of the budworms.

I think the eggs are from a moth, they lay their eggs on the tippy tops of the nugs.

I'll pick between 3 and 20 eggs per plant every couple days.

I think once the sunlight hits the eggs and they warm up, they instantly hatch and climb down into the nugs and begin setting up their little apartments.

sunset limited

Veteran
so what DOES work for caterpillars that can be applied in late bloom?
and does anyone know how close to harvest you can use spinosad?

Anyone know what kind of lady bug this is, is it good for my garden I wonder, I've looked on the web but im still not sure , so I'd love to hear what others think !

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's a stinkbug. Or harlequin. Pretty much the same thing for our purposes. Either first or second instar of one or the other, it's hard to tell unless you find a fully grown adult.

Not entirely sure if they're an issue for cannabis but I would think so. They're a sucking pest and areas bitten on tomatoes or peppers become soft and susceptible to any infection passed along by feeding.

Pesticide options are few and ineffective from what I understand. Manually removing any you see while inspecting is good practice. Squishing them is not, better to toss in a jar for disposal later. They release a pheromone that will attract others.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And thank you. ID'ing bugs gives me a wierd thrill, if you can call it that.

Well except for today ID'ing a thrip nymph on a pepper plant outdoors. I prefer looking at bugs on other peoples plants ;)

turbo14

Veteran
What are you guys using for borers? They are taking out my leaves like crazy, Spinosad seems to be keeping them at bay but still going at it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
turbo

Soilmonster

Does anyone know these bugs?

Does anyone know these bugs?

I've been learning a ton from these forums, you guys are awesome!! My friend has these little jerks nesting in alot of the lower buds of an outdoor grow and I can't find anything about them anywhere. I can't get this to link my photos but you should be able to see them in my profile. I'd greatly appreciate any help, there's some beautiful medicine in jeapardy >XD

This should link to photos

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=62722

Soilmonster

The resolution didn't cone through so I zoomed em in and reposted.. They look like little flies and they suck on the nodes and brown the leaves!

I started growing a few seeds on my balcony couple months back. Given them a few waterings with compost tea, and sprayed twice a few weeks apart with azamax and haven't seen any pests yet.

Saltlife

I have a plant out in woods

Something is knawing on branches just eating the skin
like a damn beaver would knawl around a tree

Anybody tell me what this might be

It started on lower branches and working its way up
Plant

Vesnican

strange caterpillar

strange caterpillar

Hi guys, does anyone know which kind of caterpillar is this one please? (central europe location)

Vesnican

They start to appear in September on buds, about 10 on each plant daily. I always picked them manually. Sometimes they decided to drill a hole in a bud and squat there. This was the problem, the bud was inside like rotten, but more dry. Everyday care made them disappear.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
They start to appear in September on buds, about 10 on each plant daily. I always picked them manually. Sometimes they decided to drill a hole in a bud and squat there. This was the problem, the bud was inside like rotten, but more dry. Everyday care made them disappear.

get ur self some Spinosad and BT spray. the spinosad i will be using next year is called ConverseSC its 11.6% spinosad compared to captian jacks deadbrew is 0.5%. next year use neem or karanja oil all thur veg and the first 2 weeks in flower and that should take care of it. i will be using karanja oil/converseSc for veg weekly folair and then when flower comes i will use the same combo for the first 2 weeks and then switch just to ConverseSC and BT till around week 4 or 5 depending on how bad they are on the plants

Vesnican

get ur self some Spinosad and BT spray. the spinosad i will be using next year is called ConverseSC its 11.6% spinosad compared to captian jacks deadbrew is 0.5%. next year use neem or karanja oil all thur veg and the first 2 weeks in flower and that should take care of it. i will be using karanja oil/converseSc for veg weekly folair and then when flower comes i will use the same combo for the first 2 weeks and then switch just to ConverseSC and BT till around week 4 or 5 depending on how bad they are on the plants

Thank you Kygiacomo! I have to check whether those are sold in central Europe or will have to find something similar.

To be honest I was always afraid to spray anything straight on buds, but now I see that is common thing ;)

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Thank you Kygiacomo! I have to check whether those are sold in central Europe or will have to find something similar.

To be honest I was always afraid to spray anything straight on buds, but now I see that is common thing ;)

i use to be scared to till bud rot wiped me out a year ago. the way i see it is its either spray for a couple weeks of something safe that is effective or take the chance and not spray and end up with moldy buds. As long as u not using some nasty chemical like eagle 20 etcetc and its a proven organic method that works then i say its all good.