What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing Thai outdoors starting in December

pheed

Just to mess around, I was thinking of running some pure Thai landrace seeds outdoors to see how big they would get this time of year. I’m in Southern California. Will they be tiny and useless? Should I veg them for a couple weeks and then throw them outside? I don’t actually want them much taller than 4 feet, so what’s the best approach?

ahortator

Veteran
If you have no frost there but the weather is cold, they won't sprout until the temps rise. If they sprout indoors or the weather is enough warm for them to sprout, perhaps ar first they will grow slowly until the temps began to rise. If they are real Thai, they won't be flowering in May or June, so if they have enough root space you will get 20' tall plants and a huge harvest from next December onwards, more probably in the first three or four months of 2022.

xerb

Sorry to be a wet blanket

Sorry to be a wet blanket

But I think you should rethink your plan.

Wild UN-tamed jungle sativas like the Thai strains you mention, are very particular about their growing conditions.

After many years of failure trying to grow these in Humboldt, a few seeds were found in a shipment of Afghani hash.

This discovery of indica allowed a hybrid that would mature in our climate and stay a reasonable size.

People are still struggling with this today, all over the world.

I too, want to grow pure Thai outdoors, but don't have the climate for it.

So you have a few options
1. move to the tropics
2. grow indoors - Thai will still be the most difficult to grow
3. Try a hybrid that shortens the flowering time

Many hybrids still have a soaring cerebral high and you can even find the taste you are looking for. I suggest trying Jack Herer.

Or even try an automatic flowering hybrid - you can easily slip in an extra growing season using one of these. Try to time it so that the plants are maturing in the June sunshine if possible.

Best of luck to you. Xerb

romanoweed

i seen some 70s acclaimed pure SE Asia lines wich are sometimes reasonably shortflowering. like down to 13 weeks. I never found out if those are pure, but collected around 70s.

So, you can gamble on you having a shortflowering Thai, alltho i seen short Thais more seldon, those were vietnam. Only one time short Thai.

With a diy greenhouse, you can heighten the temps in California, cause i think pretty sunny winter.

I just think i have a easy attitude, i can live with a soft smoke, wich it probably will become unter comparably weak Cali sun. Hence my attitude, i just risk things, and it shure something possible. I mean a hippie i see still growing occasionally in cali for tests.

will never be as strong as indoorgrown, but soft and enhancing high

Last edited:

xerb

Another suggestion:

If you want to grow in the winter when the sun is not as strong, there are certain strains that will do much better than others.

Most will not form dense buds, but others will.

Ask around and you should be able to find a strain that will do well in the colder months.

xerb

Another thought:

Is there any chance you can augment the light - say with a 600W HPS during the middle of the day? This would get you through most of the difficulties I see.

Xerb

Latest posts

Latest posts