What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

growing in a pond?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i was looking at a post Trichrider put up about boats pushing a floating bog, and i had a thought. yeah, i know, go ahead and laugh, lol. but my thought was to take a 5 gallon bucket (or whatever) full of good soil, put your young plant in it, and set the bucket into a ring of foam that will keep it afloat and put it in a pond/bog/swamp. the tap root should make it down to water level pretty quick, and keep you from having to water the plant, reducing (or eliminating) visits that might be noticed. ideas, criticisms, etc always welcome...my main concern (so far) would be turtles or muskrats climbing up on the platform.

igrowone

Veteran
it was an old fantasy of mine to grow in a pond back in my guerrilla days
never happened, but I put a lot of thought into it
the bucket sounds feasible in theory, practice is always the bitch though

Bona Fortuna

i was looking at a post Trichrider put up about boats pushing a floating bog, and i had a thought. yeah, i know, go ahead and laugh, lol. but my thought was to take a 5 gallon bucket (or whatever) full of good soil, put your young plant in it, and set the bucket into a ring of foam that will keep it afloat and put it in a pond/bog/swamp. the tap root should make it down to water level pretty quick, and keep you from having to water the plant, reducing (or eliminating) visits that might be noticed. ideas, criticisms, etc always welcome...my main concern (so far) would be turtles or muskrats climbing up on the platform.
It sounds like a mobile swamp tube! Is the idea to make it mobile?
Sounds like it would be highly susceptible to critters and possible floodwater issues like you suggest.

If you don’t need it to be mobile and want to keep the high water table so you don’t need to visit, then look into chinampas or swamp tubes.
Both are a more permanent idea and are equally susceptible to flood and critters, but are excellent ideas for grow areas near high water tables, lakes or bogs.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
I've toyed with this floating planter idea for a long time but never came up with floatation material with sufficient buoyancy to keep a heavy load of soil afloat. For my swamp that has open glades and zero canoe traffic, floating planters would be a super stealth method of planting weed in a way that completely eliminates all concerns about discovery, while also ensuring that watering is fully automated.

Years ago I trucked a disused speedboat from the beach to my swamp with this specific purpose in mind, but I never did get around to setting up the grow, so the boat wound up being consumed by the jungle. I'd planned to cut holes in the floor of the boat and rely on the styrofoam floatation inserts in that floor to support several huge planters. I am certain this method would work but the amount of labor involved was too daunting for me since I dared not hire any help for the project.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I'd planned to cut holes in the floor of the boat
i keep looking at my old john boat and wondering how much dirt could i pile into/on top of the live well in the middle of the boat; and plant on top of that. a boat would be obvious from the air though, and too many people have drones now...i don't think turtles/muskrats could climb in, but no way to keep geese from nesting in there though. would Canada geese eat weed?

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
I saw a small floating island of weed plants in Jamaica, about 60’ long and 10’ wide, just enough buoyancy for one person at a time to get on it, I had some photos but they’re locked in a hard drive

The plants weren’t very big, they never are in JA, but healthy AF

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
i keep looking at my old john boat and wondering how much dirt could i pile into/on top of the live well in the middle of the boat; and plant on top of that. a boat would be obvious from the air though, and too many people have drones now...i don't think turtles/muskrats could climb in, but no way to keep geese from nesting in there though. would Canada geese eat weed?
i use to do night missions on a john boat up and down the river running bales of soil an clones under the moonlight. got many wild grow stories from heli's lurking to outrunning the law in state land to big bog grows it was alotta fun i toned it down abit as of lately. as far as growing in a pond i got a fewout in a pond wasnt there when i planted em all this damn rain

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i got a fewout in a pond wasnt there when i planted em all this damn rain
how did that work out? will/did your cannabis survive if temporarily flooded?
i'm STILL gnawing on this bone, lol. a pole sunk into pond/marsh bottom, a floatation ring big enough to hold the soil mix attached to the pole so it doesn't wander off, and able to raise/lower with the water level, like a houseboat does., a section of chainlink fence rolled into a tube to deter muskrats etc, and a solar powered air pump/bubble ring mounted to keep more oxygen in the root zone when the sun is up and water is at its warmest. i'm thinking a small kiddy pool set into a ring of 2" thick styrofoam insulation, drape a camo net over it and add your soil mix and plant. hmmm...if the water was shallow enough, you could put a section of fencing around the whole thing, embedded in pond bottom, instead of on the pole. can't keep birds out...:(
i think too much at night.

Nannymouse

Pontoon houseboat?

Also, i was wondering how a rowboat would work, not put holes in floor, but attach pails to sides of boat.

Mr Jay

Veteran
I don't remember where I saw it, but somewhere on these interwebs someone did a floating swamp grow and pulled it off. I think they did it with soil in bags on top of floating logs, but I honestly can't recall as there's been a lot of puffs between when I saw it and now. :smoke:

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I live in the state that’s probably 25% swamp and that doesn’t include the biggest swamp in the world which they call the Everglades. Many of folk have tried to put the foam rings on the pails of weed in the water and every time the plant rots because it’s too much water for it… it sounds like a great idea but in practice they just get waterlogged and rot