What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing different strains together..

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I use the same soil for all strains, meaning whatever I am using at the time.

Since every strain/plant can have different needs, I use a neutral greenhouse soil like pro-mix or similar to dilute the soil if it is too hot.

Roadblock

Can use all organics to feed all different strains the same that have different nutrient needs using the same food close to the same amount..moon/

You dont say what your are in, but if its hydro media, you could feed with drippers and be able to regulate the EC for different pots/strains by adjusting the volume to each so that EC either raises or lowers in different pots, not only managing the EC but also moisture level at the root zone, a little bit of juggling to dial them in but it could be done, I don't think it matters about different nutes for different strains as much as being a balanced feed that has everything in it, the lighting is the same for all, its only nutrient EC and moisture content that probably affects different strains more than anything else, Ive got 4 strains together now and they seem to all be keeping up with each other no cows and calves, they are reveg clones cut from flowering plants so they have some deformities and not into full veg just yet.

Wuachuma

Ive been building my own soil and breeding all sorts of strains for over a decade

All my plants get the same soil. No problems

Now, sometimes I will do liquid feedings of nutes I make from scratch (organic amendments and rock dusts) and different plants will get different amounts or ratios, but usually they all get the same.
Really the only difference I do is feed les for DJ Short lines. I also dont feed my plants after week 5 of flowering. Sativas are very leafy so they can cannibalize and feed theirselves throughout their 20 or so weeks of flowering. I never have any problems running 10-100 different strains at a time, from 7 week indicas to kushes to 20+ week pure sativas.

Honestly, its the hydro industry (and Nectar for the gods) that has convinced people they need a whole array of different nutes for different plants.
Now, you can dial in specific pheno expressions from different plants. But thats much more to do with cation(mineral) balance than NPK nutes

Douglas.Curtis

My personal experience and testing says organic growers constantly overfeed, counting on passive ionic uptake to regulate aborption of needed nutes. Nothing personal at all, and I'm all organic now as well. The issue is... cannabis has multiple uptake pathways in addition to the passive ionic uptake. Cannabis absorbs elements it has zero need for, and is known to permanently bind them to new growth tissue.

Yes, I can definitely taste and determine when a plant has absorbed excess nutes and impacted the end quality. Does not matter if it is hydro or organic, and I have grown a lot of hydro people swore was the tastiest and most amazing organic grown ever.(Yeah... people need to get out more. lolol) On the other hand... I can also almost taste a gnat fart in a high wind, so I understand how the majority easily miss the subtle nuances.

That being said, I'm sure most of the plants come out just great with all the experience you have with them. Since the best way to know a plant is to run the same ones over and over. :)

Wuachuma

I would say hydro overfeeds far more than salts, since salts use EDTA to force-feed(chelate) both cations and anions to the plant.
Now, soil is usually high in PPM, but not all of that is plant-available, hence the ability to grow many cycles in the same soil with minimal supplemental inputs.
I play around with chelating organic nutes (cations and anions alike) using organic acids, microbes, and enzymes.
The cool thing about organics is that it allows the roots to exude organic acids and enzymes to free and feed cations and anions to the roots. This process is halted or greatly retarded by the use of EDTA and salt nutes. I myself have rejeuvenated several cuts that were force fed salts most their life by using probiotic organics.

I do agree that there are a number of organic growers who dont understand things like balancing cations or proper dosage. And yes, cannabis is a bio-accumilator, which is even more of a reason not to use synthetic salts that are basically rebranded industrial waste.

I personally dont overfeed as I like for 9-week plants to start fading around week 5 or 6 and just self-cannibalize the 2nd half of their flowering journey.

Douglas.Curtis

It is just as easy to overfeed in organics as hydro. I have experienced VERY few examples of non-overfed organic cannabis, across several states and decades. Most every example tastes like some organic amendment or another, which the grower has no clue is a non-cannabis flavor and misrepresents it as cannabis.

This is, again, due to cannabis being an accumulator. It absorbs molecules, flavinoids, heavy metals, petrol byproducts and more it has zero need for growth.

How many old timers remember the discovery of bat guano tea... and all the bat guano tasting flower it produced back then? Unless you had an awareness of where that flavor came from, you would swear it was a cannabis flavor. People actually sought out that flavor deliberately, in belief it was some unique cannabis terpene profile/flavor.

Take clones, flower them out over and over, keep some of each plant, eventually you can find the right balance for it. Until you can compare side by side, you really need someone with sensitivity like mine to help out. In other words, ya can't shoot a pest you are not aware of. ;)

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I run 30-ish different clones every season in the same soil, water only, with no issues beyond a few strains that want more N. I try to stay under 100ppms of N in my soil and top dress small amounts 3-4 times through the season. Blue Dream, SSH, Durban Poison and a coup[le others like a bit more and I'll top dress those with some extra N if they look yellow but that's all that is different. mineral balancing after having my soil tested made the biggest difference that I've ever seen. my patch needed lots of P, S, Zn, Mn, and Cu after testing...

Patch 9-19-21.JPG

aisle 9-16-21.jpg

my patch 9-14-21.jpg

DSC_0808 copy.JPG

forum GSC 10-10-21.JPG

Wuachuma

Nice work @Chunkypigs
Yeah, Ive consulted for a lot of farms on the west coast and everyone needed more manganese. It also made the biggest difference in plant health and vigor

Douglas.Curtis

Duh... yes you are completely correct about hydro, my apologies. ( Sooo tired these days after work)
I've recommended 1 clone (monocropping with all the same clones.) per tub/system per light for decades. Unless all the clones are the same, and transpiration is all the same, (same light footprint), it is ridiculously easy to overfeed and reduce end quality.

Yep. :)

Douglas.Curtis

@Chunkypigs
I see varying amounts of PLS on your plants, which shows they need different levels of calcium. Once the plant has enough calcium, excess works with CO2 and produces extra large plant cells or, Puffy Leaf Syndrome. I, personally, do not care for the extra 'burnt plant' flavor it imparts to bowls and joints as each toke goes by.

Again, the majority of you have no distinction/awareness of this and would need lab tests to show you . Nearly everyone with average taste and sense of smell would choose the non-PLS flower though, even without being able to determine why they are choosing it.

My goal is never to step on toes of those who constantly work to improve, it is only to bring light to unknown possibilities. ;) I did not choose to have this sensitivity, but I'm damn sure I will put it to use and help others. :)

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm lost DC. When you say PLS I'm not sure what you are talking about. . In my thinking in horticulture, the term PLS is just a means of indicating live seed. It is a measure used by the seed industry to describe the percentage of a quantity of seed that will germinate. The success of any planting depends on seed quality, planting techniques, and the correct type and amount of seed needed. Are you saying the seed is what matters? 😎

AllStuff420

If you produce multiple cannabis strains in the same location at the same time, you will quickly become a cultivation master. Growing cannabis already has a steep learning curve to grasp, but with diverse strains, this curve becomes steeper and exacerbated all at once.

goingrey

It is just as easy to overfeed in organics as hydro. I have experienced VERY few examples of non-overfed organic cannabis, across several states and decades. Most every example tastes like some organic amendment or another, which the grower has no clue is a non-cannabis flavor and misrepresents it as cannabis.

This is, again, due to cannabis being an accumulator. It absorbs molecules, flavinoids, heavy metals, petrol byproducts and more it has zero need for growth.

How many old timers remember the discovery of bat guano tea... and all the bat guano tasting flower it produced back then? Unless you had an awareness of where that flavor came from, you would swear it was a cannabis flavor. People actually sought out that flavor deliberately, in belief it was some unique cannabis terpene profile/flavor.

Take clones, flower them out over and over, keep some of each plant, eventually you can find the right balance for it. Until you can compare side by side, you really need someone with sensitivity like mine to help out. In other words, ya can't shoot a pest you are not aware of. ;)

Not sure that I totally agree with this sentiment.

Overfeeding I would consider a situation where the plant health is negatively impacted by too much of some nutrient(s). This is for sure easier to do with chemical (direct uptake) fertilizers. Not that there's anything "difficult" per se in having a soil that's too hot but you get the point I'm sure...

Now the guano tasting bud or whatever has been accumulated from the soil, well that is more of an expression of terroir. Sure it's a result of the environment and not the genetics but it can create unique flavors and it's why produce from some areas is more sought after than from others (not just in cannabis). And while a bag of bat guano might not have the same reverence as some vineyard in France, seems like it did actually create a unique flavor that was sought after by some people.

Brother Nature

You should check out a couple of the grow journals on here. Dank.Frank comes to mind, dude's had good success with a single organic raised bed setup indoors, running different strains. I think he even lists the mix somewhere in the thread.

Douglas.Curtis

Not sure that I totally agree with this sentiment.

Overfeeding I would consider a situation where the plant health is negatively impacted by too much of some nutrient(s). This is for sure easier to do with chemical (direct uptake) fertilizers. Not that there's anything "difficult" per se in having a soil that's too hot but you get the point I'm sure...

Now the guano tasting bud or whatever has been accumulated from the soil, well that is more of an expression of terroir. Sure it's a result of the environment and not the genetics but it can create unique flavors and it's why produce from some areas is more sought after than from others (not just in cannabis). And while a bag of bat guano might not have the same reverence as some vineyard in France, seems like it did actually create a unique flavor that was sought after by some people.
Your concept of overfeeding is significantly lower quality than mine. There is a large difference between overfed and overfed to the point the plant has growth issues. Accumulator plants specifically gather excess without showing visible outward signs of it.

The difference is you can use bat guano to feed cannabis and get wonderful terroir effects (flavors and smells due to local environment), without overfeeding and getting straight, unconverted bat guano flavor. There's a very large distinction between the two.

Dank Frank is another amazing grower with lots of varying PLS going on. Mucho respect for all he's done for sure. Personally, I would still have to run clones and tailor the mixes for each one.

Organic is not magic... sorry. ;)

PLS: Puffy Leaf Syndrome. As I stated in the post above, is caused from excess calcium. There is a plant process which uses extra CO2 and calcium to create larger than normal cell sizes (NON-trichome, burnable plant).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts