What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing different strains together..

Wuachuma

@Chunkypigs
I see varying amounts of PLS on your plants, which shows they need different levels of calcium. Once the plant has enough calcium, excess works with CO2 and produces extra large plant cells or, Puffy Leaf Syndrome. I, personally, do not care for the extra 'burnt plant' flavor it imparts to bowls and joints as each toke goes by.

Again, the majority of you have no distinction/awareness of this and would need lab tests to show you . Nearly everyone with average taste and sense of smell would choose the non-PLS flower though, even without being able to determine why they are choosing it.

My goal is never to step on toes of those who constantly work to improve, it is only to bring light to unknown possibilities. ;) I did not choose to have this sensitivity, but I'm damn sure I will put it to use and help others. :)

Do you have any peer-reviewed scientific journals from NCBI to support your hypothesis?

Ideal soil is 65-80 Calcium.
So if your thesis were correct, then all properly grown cannabis would suffer and be unsmokeable

I, too, have a very sensitive palate and can't smoke much of whats out there. However, I also pump a lot of calcium so its definitely not calcium that causes problems. In fact, I have people remark on how smooth my flowers are and how long the joint stays lit.
Now, magnesium definitely is a problem. Mg burns very hot and many people subscribe to the hydro myth of pushing cal-mag, so theres a lot of unpleasant smoke out there on the market.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Had access issues for a few days there, my apologies.

I'm unable to find the NCBI papers I was reading, but I did find a similar article to the one which sparked my look into the subject. https://www.washington.edu/news/2018/10/01/thick-leaves-high-co2/

There's a link between higher CO2 levels and calcium there, and I believe the thicker, puffier leaves are a direct result of it. The only time I've experienced thicker leaves is when I've over used KNF water soluble calcium. Considering the location was within living quarters, it would be safe to assume the CO2 levels were at 'least' 700ppm minimum. The only difference was, again, excess calcium.

The main takeaway here is how thicker, puffier leaves are extra, non-cannabinoid/terpene related material and they detract from the overall end quality/potency of the product. Perhaps there's a terpene or cannabinoid response which comes from the reduced efficiency at processing CO2? I don't know, but I did not appreciate the end effect it had on my plants.

Wuachuma

Had access issues for a few days there, my apologies.

I'm unable to find the NCBI papers I was reading, but I did find a similar article to the one which sparked my look into the subject. https://www.washington.edu/news/2018/10/01/thick-leaves-high-co2/

There's a link between higher CO2 levels and calcium there, and I believe the thicker, puffier leaves are a direct result of it. The only time I've experienced thicker leaves is when I've over used KNF water soluble calcium. Considering the location was within living quarters, it would be safe to assume the CO2 levels were at 'least' 700ppm minimum. The only difference was, again, excess calcium.

The main takeaway here is how thicker, puffier leaves are extra, non-cannabinoid/terpene related material and they detract from the overall end quality/potency of the product. Perhaps there's a terpene or cannabinoid response which comes from the reduced efficiency at processing CO2? I don't know, but I did not appreciate the end effect it had on my plants.
What strain was this?

I've found Affy/Paki genetics to have very thick, harsh leaves because their culture smokes hash, not vegetable material

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
What strain was this?

I've found Affy/Paki genetics to have very thick, harsh leaves because their culture smokes hash, not vegetable material
Everything during the run with excess calcium had the puffy leaf syndrome. I have a femmed mix of seeds which is a large mix of old school genetics, mostly sativa dominant. I've run these off and on for years in all kinds of environments, but... I have never used excessive calcium before. These genetics and some sativa dom autos all showed the same, though varied, response I had never seen before. NL, African Haze, Satori, Princess Diesel (Old Grimm Bros PD) and more.

I have very few seeds of (and grow very little) indica, Affy/Paki genetics.

Goodherb

Wuachuma, you in different thread , about most farms out west adversely affect by lack of manganese.
What will you recommend to correct/ improve the issue,sir ?

Burn1

Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnn! I knew I would run across you sooner or later.
Hey man, IMO, if you want to tweek your grow while mixing strains, I would use the guano tea and kelp. You could also do the Blood/Alfalfa, bone and kelp in the soil and amend with guano teas as needed.
Hey man, we need to get the band back together!
Peace.
Burn1

highfidelity

If you produce multiple cannabis strains in the same location at the same time, you will quickly become a cultivation master. Growing cannabis already has a steep learning curve to grasp, but with diverse strains, this curve becomes steeper and exacerbated all at once.
Would definitely say this is true. In my 4 runs total I've worked with almost 30 different strains, running most of them at least twice (once from seed and once from clone). It has taught me tons about the plant that I don't think I would have learned if I had experience with only a smaller pool of genetics.